Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
It doesn't take much reading of posts on this forum to figure out that from the smallest trailers to the Berkshires - there are problems with quality on everything FR makes. Delaminated walls, water leaks galore, improper to dangerous wiring, poor to non-existent warranty service, component failure, lousy build quality - you name it - it's being posted here daily.

Size of the company matters nothing. Fiat-Chrysler is a huge company, yet their products routinely end up at the bottom of the quality lists of most of the consumer publications.

Ban me if you want, but you folks that continue to spout the rhetoric about how great this company is, how great their products are and how well they take care of anyone with issues - you aren't seeing what I'm seeing in the multitude of posts from owners with serious issues.
Oh boy do I agree with you! Purchased a 2016 FR Georgetown and it is a piece of sheet.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaharleys View Post
Bought a 378 Georgetown XL Black Diamond. Great vehicle after the dealer and FR fixed several items. Good luck and happy trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaharleys View Post
Oh boy do I agree with you! Purchased a 2016 FR Georgetown and it is a piece of sheet.
Please tell us the story of what happened to turn the great vehicle into the piece of sheet in about 5 weeks?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #43
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I've had more RVs than I can recall since the 70s. Those old ones were built 10 X better IMO. Never had the problems of today. Of the last 4~ FR, Heartland, FR, Keystone. Both FR had minor problems that required dealer to repair. The Heartland did not see the dealer until it was traded in. The Keystone had 1 problem Atwood took care of without dealer intervention. That does not mean FR is any worse than the others. I'll consider FR on my next purchase also. That also does not mean the current 5er will not develop a problem with the build. No one can fault any builder for the problems of suppliers ~~ HWT, furnace, refer, etc. Those complaints need brought to the attention of the supplier and builder but there are few for builders to choose from.
One thing ~~~ from the time the Heartland and Keystone were bought there was never build dust, excess screws, staples, saw dust or insulation floating around.
I have been buying, rebuilding and generally messing about with RV's since the late 1970's. I would not say they were 10X better. I have pictures from a 1975 Airstream that shows lack of QC and poor engineering. I have pictures from a 2000 Coleman Niagara along with additional documentation of poor engineering and construction. Remember the Coleman ABS popup tops fiasco? The late 60's and early 70's rear bath Pathfinders were notorious for having leaks that rotted out the rear bath floors and the list goes on. RV's today have gotten much more complex and they are building a lot more of them. They are by no means perfect and there is plenty of room for improvement.

I purchased my 2016 Coachmen Concord AFTER I had done a thorough inspection, I have found that most dealers do an inadequate PDI. I gave them the list and told them when I came back that it would be complete or no deal. I did another walk through prior to final pickup, at that time there was only a single item that wasn't working. I told them it was minor enough that they could ship me the part and I would call it good. If there had been any major issues with slides, roof, etc I would not have purchased the unit.

I am happy with my unit and the PDI list was minimal, mostly cosmetics. The amount of sawdust and such was also minimal on my first walk through and the build quality was acceptable. Could they have done better? There is always room for improvement.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #44
ARLO

Same problem. Same great service. Our trailer was one year out of warranty and they did the same thing for us.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #45
2017 WORK and PLAY 38RSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Just wondering if the new quality control center advocated by Warren Buffett when he became involved in the company is operational. If it is, something is wrong. Just view a 2016 Forrest River product and was very disappointed. Very poor fit and finish, vinyl wrapped around screws in cabinets, shoddy joining of panels, door not aligned. It looks like the kind of poor finish that a quality control component would pick up. My 2010 2503s seems to have been built better than this unit. Very disappointing, especially if one is looking to upgrade.
I can honestly answer that with NO! I just received a 2017 Work & Play 38RLS fifth wheel. Here is a list of problems I found after delivery, and then on the first trip:

· Garage bed motor failed/ limit switch not set?
· Garage bed hole in mattress & tear underneath
· Bump out couch fell on floor when son rolled over/ripped trim off wall & hurt my son
· Transfer switch failed from under voltage/improper gen. connections heating up
· Bath fan handle missing
· Garage ramp nut assembly missing
· Cable tv wiring all wrong (in to out, out to in, tv to sat)
· Garage door different key than other entry door?
· Garage light switch on opposite side of entry door?
· Fuel station pump hose bent/kinked shut
· Screws loose in ceiling
· Shower door trim falling off
· Wood and metal shavings all over floor, walls, bump out
· Tire wrench too short to lower/raise spare tire
· No bracing in wall for tv prep
· Shower track screw cover missing
· Holes in wall under blinds at dinette table from improper install
· All battery connections loose, positive cable fell out of crimp on battery shut off switch
· Battery cover not installed
· 15 amp fuses (20 or more) fell out of the trailer body?
· Wall paper in garage has hole in it
· Gas regulator failed(free flowing propane out site window), so no range or heat first trip out
· Water heater light doesn’t work
· Battery disconnect off/battery still feeds inside?
· No lock on bath door/made to sleep 8?
· Generator connections not tight/burnt off wirenuts(3” of wire stripped connections made with tape, not wire nut)
· Generator starter connection only finger tight
· Generator harness wrapped around engine head, wires and loom melted to engine
· Water heater overpressure valve free flowing when water is turned on
· 4” chunk of steel frame fell out on road(from hole cut in frame for spare tire)

Then to add the icing on the cake I may have to drive 11 hours to get the warranty work fixed because all of the dealers where I live are telling me no, they will not touch it or it will be over a year before they can even look at my RV. But at this point I would rather do the repairs myself that way I know I will not die in an electrical fire while camping! If Forest River is pushing out RV's that are essentially a DIY kit on delivery, they should not be allowed to charge full price.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #46

So other than that...

How are you enjoying your quality FR product?
Old 08-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #47

We must band together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberge View Post
I can honestly answer that with NO! I just received a 2017 Work & Play 38RLS fifth wheel. Here is a list of problems I found after delivery, and then on the first trip:

· Garage bed motor failed/ limit switch not set?
· Garage bed hole in mattress & tear underneath
· Bump out couch fell on floor when son rolled over/ripped trim off wall & hurt my son
· Transfer switch failed from under voltage/improper gen. connections heating up
· Bath fan handle missing
· Garage ramp nut assembly missing
· Cable tv wiring all wrong (in to out, out to in, tv to sat)
· Garage door different key than other entry door?
· Garage light switch on opposite side of entry door?
· Fuel station pump hose bent/kinked shut
· Screws loose in ceiling
· Shower door trim falling off
· Wood and metal shavings all over floor, walls, bump out
· Tire wrench too short to lower/raise spare tire
· No bracing in wall for tv prep
· Shower track screw cover missing
· Holes in wall under blinds at dinette table from improper install
· All battery connections loose, positive cable fell out of crimp on battery shut off switch
· Battery cover not installed
· 15 amp fuses (20 or more) fell out of the trailer body?
· Wall paper in garage has hole in it
· Gas regulator failed(free flowing propane out site window), so no range or heat first trip out
· Water heater light doesn’t work
· Battery disconnect off/battery still feeds inside?
· No lock on bath door/made to sleep 8?
· Generator connections not tight/burnt off wirenuts(3” of wire stripped connections made with tape, not wire nut)
· Generator starter connection only finger tight
· Generator harness wrapped around engine head, wires and loom melted to engine
· Water heater overpressure valve free flowing when water is turned on
· 4” chunk of steel frame fell out on road(from hole cut in frame for spare tire)

Then to add the icing on the cake I may have to drive 11 hours to get the warranty work fixed because all of the dealers where I live are telling me no, they will not touch it or it will be over a year before they can even look at my RV. But at this point I would rather do the repairs myself that way I know I will not die in an electrical fire while camping! If Forest River is pushing out RV's that are essentially a DIY kit on delivery, they should not be allowed to charge full price.
Until we all start sending our lists to Mr Buffet nothing will change. We need to include the vin # and where purchased so the correct division is identified. It seems the inconvenience is always put upon the customer. Your experience is by far the worst I have heard.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 AM   #48

Sorry Man that you got such a POS RV !!!

Many of us on this forum have tried to warn people about buying an RV from some one other than a somewhat local dealer !!!
Old 08-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #49

As my granma use to say. " Some folks wouldn't be happy working in a pie factory and sleeping on a feather bed ! "
Personally I came here to learn about camping and mods others have made to make their experience camping better. Not to be in the middle of "divorce court" . Sometimes y'all remind me of my first ex-wife.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #50

As Steve Jobs used to say....
“Quality is more important than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.”

And as someone unknown used to say....
“If you don’t have time to do it right you must have time to do it over.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
As my granma use to say. " Some folks wouldn't be happy working in a pie factory and sleeping on a feather bed ! "
Personally I came here to learn about camping and mods others have made to make their experience camping better. Not to be in the middle of "divorce court" . Sometimes y'all remind me of my first ex-wife.
As far as your comment, why did you even open and read a thread titled "Forest River Quality Control" If you don't want to be in the middle of a discussion. No one is twisting your arm to make a comment in the first place.

Tags
quality