Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Forest River Quality Control

Just wondering if the new quality control center advocated by Warren Buffett when he became involved in the company is operational. If it is, something is wrong. Just view a 2016 Forrest River product and was very disappointed. Very poor fit and finish, vinyl wrapped around screws in cabinets, shoddy joining of panels, door not aligned. It looks like the kind of poor finish that a quality control component would pick up. My 2010 2503s seems to have been built better than this unit. Very disappointing, especially if one is looking to upgrade.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Just wondering if the new quality control center advocated by Warren Buffett when he became involved in the company is operational. If it is, something is wrong. Just view a 2016 Forrest River product and was very disappointed. Very poor fit and finish, vinyl wrapped around screws in cabinets, shoddy joining of panels, door not aligned. It looks like the kind of poor finish that a quality control component would pick up. My 2010 2503s seems to have been built better than this unit. Very disappointing, especially if one is looking to upgrade.
Plenty of posts about poor build quality. Some will tell you that FR is the best, others will say the same as other manufacturers.

I'm not impressed personally, though I have no basis for comparison with other manufacturers - other than the Leisure Travel Unity I looked at recently - much better fit and finish vs. my Forester MBS. And yes, quite a bit more expensive too.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

I have two questions and one observation.

Question one, what is your source that Warren Buffet advocated a new quality control center?

Question two, what Forest River brand and model number did you look at?

My observation, as I read your post you looked at one unit and condemned the entire Forest River line of products. That is a lot of brands of RVs to condemn when you looked at just one unit.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 08-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Question one, what is your source that Warren Buffet advocated a new quality control center?

My observation, as I read your post you looked at one unit and condemned the entire Forest River line of products. That is a lot of brands of RVs to condemn when you looked at just one unit.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "22"
Old 08-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

X3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Old 08-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #6

Forest River, Inc., operates out of 86 manufacturing locations boasting over 8 million square feet of manufacturing facilities, and employs over 11,000 people. In its 20 years of operation, the company has grown to over $4 billion in total revenues and has sold more than 1.9 million vehicles.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Old 08-04-2016, 05:37 AM   #7

Out come the cheerleaders

It doesn't take much reading of posts on this forum to figure out that from the smallest trailers to the Berkshires - there are problems with quality on everything FR makes. Delaminated walls, water leaks galore, improper to dangerous wiring, poor to non-existent warranty service, component failure, lousy build quality - you name it - it's being posted here daily.

Size of the company matters nothing. Fiat-Chrysler is a huge company, yet their products routinely end up at the bottom of the quality lists of most of the consumer publications.

Ban me if you want, but you folks that continue to spout the rhetoric about how great this company is, how great their products are and how well they take care of anyone with issues - you aren't seeing what I'm seeing in the multitude of posts from owners with serious issues.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:01 AM   #8

I agree that quality control is suspect. It doesn't take long to fix the problems with any manufacturing. As an employer, do not accept second class work. I think there are several levels of quality in the RV industry from the entry level to the top-of-the-line. An analogy would be General Motors, remember the Chevette? It had some of the same parts as the Cadillac but who would compare the two in quality.

That said, the DW and I love to be outside and love to camp. But we couldn't afford a top-of-the-line Berkshire. Even though we can walk around our TT and point out fit and finish issues, we still love it and consider it a blessing that we are able to have it. The industry, sadly, will probably not insist on better products even though that would be the right thing to do.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
Old 08-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
It doesn't take much reading of posts on this forum to figure out that from the smallest trailers to the Berkshires - there are problems with quality on everything FR makes. Delaminated walls, water leaks galore, improper to dangerous wiring, poor to non-existent warranty service, component failure, lousy build quality - you name it - it's being posted here daily.

Size of the company matters nothing. Fiat-Chrysler is a huge company, yet their products routinely end up at the bottom of the quality lists of most of the consumer publications.

Ban me if you want, but you folks that continue to spout the rhetoric about how great this company is, how great their products are and how well they take care of anyone with issues - you aren't seeing what I'm seeing in the multitude of posts from owners with serious issues.
Quality Control is an industry wide problem. HOW the various companies deal with it separates them, and quite often that comes down to the dealers, which are a crap shoot also. I have seen issues with just about every brand out there at one point or another. One of my wife's co-workers bought a brand new Allegro motorhome (Tiffin Industries) when he broke down on the side of the road, they had a tech out to them to help. Should it have broken down? Who knows, but they sent someone to help. It ended up having to go back to the factory for repairs.

When it comes to issues people are more likely to gripe about them than they are when everything goes right. Some people will make a mountain out of a mole hill, others will accept that things built by humans are necessarily perfect and may need a bit of adjustment.

The RV industry produced just over 300,000 units last year, that is a drop in the bucket compared to the automotive industry. Could they do better? Absolutely! Will they? Not as long as people keep buying everything they can produce. Also the RV industry is not as heavily regulated as the automotive or aircraft industry.

There have been some very high quality units built, unfortunately not enough consumers saw the value in the products and bought less expensive units, many of the higher end producers went out of business during the last downturn in 2008.

FWIW I have had my fair share of lemons in cars and trucks. So far my FR/Coachmen RV has been better than my last Chevy truck.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
Old 08-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #10

I've owned 7 RVs from 5 different manufacturers and trust me, none of them are perfect. You can get on any RV manufacturers forum and read similar stuff. What should be noted, however, is you can't base overall quality on the tiny subset on this forum vs. the vast number of owners. Naturally, those few with serious problems will post here. Most owners probably don't know or care that there is a forum.

Tags
quality