Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
Land of the Midnightsun

It damn sure is fr fault. Why didn't fr bring all this send part back crap to owner attention before they gave that shop the go ahead to fix? All this send part back , you pay for it now until we figure out if part is any good came after fr said yes fix it. I'd be pissed to, fr didn't lay all cards on table. But that fr
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #22
Jack of All Trades

This is SOP.

I don't know of many manufactures - appliance, aoutmotive, electronic, etc. - that don't require a part replaced under warranty returned.

I worked for a major equipment manufacture that required a warranty replaced item, no matter how large, (some of our parts are 10+ ton) either returned or inspected on-site by a representative before crediting the warranty replacement.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #23
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
The repair shop should have sent the part back per the "old" repair rules. Now, however, someone, somewhere is misinformed....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cy-127789.html
Just to clarify, the referenced policy change specifically mentions "dealers" seven times.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #24

Forest River Warranty= JOKE

I have worked 35+ years as a wholesaler for manufacturers products...some proud to sell and some less proud. I have two comparisons and not really related.
1. Texas Pipe and Supply shipped me a pallet with a fitting and a cut piece of pipe. We got the fitting and no pipe...as it turns out they take pictures of the pallets/small shipments for verification. Good idea.

2. Spears Manufacturing sells and manufactures PVC items. They will argue profusely about shortages... YES they are that good. Only seen one time they were wrong.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #25

I used a mobile repair dealer to replace my awning motor after the awning was extended and would not retract. I paid for labor, the mobile tech worked with FR and took care of everything else. Mr Mobile RV Repair - John Davis He is on Facebook. Operates in FL and GA
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBubbleOff View Post
Very reputable repair shop in my area. Family run. They called and received permission before starting the repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
It damn sure is fr fault. Why didn't fr bring all this send part back crap to owner attention before they gave that shop the go ahead to fix? All this send part back , you pay for it now until we figure out if part is any good came after fr said yes fix it. I'd be pissed to, fr didn't lay all cards on table. But that fr
Shop called FR and got permission. I'm guessing FR told them to return the part and they did not. Seems to me that the shop is the issue here.

In any case, it doesn't mean the warranty is a joke.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Shop called FR and got permission. I'm guessing FR told them to return the part and they did not. Seems to me that the shop is the issue here.

In any case, it doesn't mean the warranty is a joke.
The OP has the motor, as per post #7. Hope it all turns out good.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #28

This sounds like FR is very reasonable to be. You didn't mind driving to dealer to buy trailer, but don't want to drive for service. So, FR was nice and arranged something more suitable for you. Now you are complaining and assuming bad things. You need to rethink.your position.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #29

I had 6 cupboard doors replaced as they split. They wanted me to drive (160miles) to have them repaired/replaced.
I said "you send them,I will install them" ...which they did.
Then i received a letter to ship the "garbage" doors back at my cost.
My response.......................you have my address........come and get them.
Never heard another thing.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #30
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
And that is what screws stuff up.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Brand new trailer and the awning motor went out on our first long camping trip last fall. I emailed and asked Miranda Blackburn if I could get it repaired at a repair shop closer to me,and she said yes. The closest dealer is 80 miles away from me and I live in the fourth largest city in America. Got it repaired and now they want the part to prove it was bad and that I'm not lying. Buy a $40,000 trailer and me and the repair shop are going to lie about a $300 part?

THIS WILL BE MY LAST FOREST RIVER PRODUCT!!!!
Is that so much to ask , really. Most places want the broken part back, pretty strong words for a common practice. Maybe it's not FR that's a joke, just saying
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
And that is what screws stuff up.....
Exactly!
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #33

They send the part back to the manufacturer and get their money back . The manufacturer also looks as to why the part failed. Don't take it personal. They payed to have it fixed by a non dealer and you complain that thoer warranty sucks . Give me a break !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
No, the work was just completed. Trying to get them to send me a pre paid shipping voucher before I send it. I was just able to get it to the shop because just went though cancer treatment with my wife for the last few months. I don't want to be out any more money.
Sorry to hear that your family is dealing with cancer. Sending lots of good health wishes your way.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #35

Very sorry to hear about your awning motor issue and your much more serious family battle with cancer. As far as the part going back, I think its time to take a deep breath send it back and let the process happen. You have more important things to think about like her getting well again. Then get back to relaxing and camping!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #36

Just like every dealership I have worked at.
They own the part, now that they have replaced it.
We always had a pile of parts to return. Every month, they would send a list of what they wanted back, and what we could dispose of.
You got it fixed. Send the broken part back and be done.
( which actually the repair shop should have done)
Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #37

Since the repair place was not the one getting reimbursed, I don't see it is their responsibility to return the part.

Actually, if I had to pay upfront and was held with squeezing the manufacturer for reimbursement... I would not want to rely on the repair place to return the part... because if they failed to do that I would never see reimbursement. The repair place got their money, they have no reason to return it.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Buy a $40,000 trailer and me and the repair shop are going to lie about a $300 part?

THIS WILL BE MY LAST FOREST RIVER PRODUCT!!!!
Actually they look at the part to find the error. Has nothing to do with a lie. My trailer the 1st of its kind ice house made for long distance travel and the only known one to do so 8000 miles so far. I had axle issues. Turns out it was a defective sleeve thus resulting in a recall so others do not have the same issue.

Quit taking things so personal. Think about the other guy. PS I have spent 60 days off the road 2200 miles away. Although we hope to not have issues it is a part of the game for now.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #39
Team Bleu

I have a Georgetown XL, step motor went, happened to be the same part that was recalled. We bought a new part, replaced it ourselves. When I got in touch with FR they told me I had to take the RV to an authorized dealer with broken part. Well the nearest is about 3 hours away the next is 5 hours away. So we said screw it and bit the bullet for 195.00. Would have cost me more in time, getting a friend to drive me back and forth.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBsRedVett View Post
I have a Georgetown XL, step motor went, happened to be the same part that was recalled. We bought a new part, replaced it ourselves. When I got in touch with FR they told me I had to take the RV to an authorized dealer with broken part. Well the nearest is about 3 hours away the next is 5 hours away. So we said screw it and bit the bullet for 195.00. Would have cost me more in time, getting a friend to drive me back and forth.
If I would have known it would have been this much trouble, I would have done like you and just bought the motor and replaced it. I thought FR was a customer friendly company. The process for getting this part replacement approved went on for weeks. I sent in the part and am waiting for my refund. I will update everyone if I get reimbursed or not. Right now, I don't have a lot of faith that I will especially after all the rude and incomplete emails I received from FR warranty department. This is why I said the warranty is a joke. If FR authorized dealers are far away from the city centers, and make it difficult for qualified RV centers from doing the work, then customers are less likely to use the warranty, especially for minor items that can be done with simple handyman skills. I took care of several fit and finish and broken items myself on a brand new trailer.

HalfBubbleOff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, warranty