Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

Forest River Warranty= JOKE

Brand new trailer and the awning motor went out on our first long camping trip last fall. I emailed and asked Miranda Blackburn if I could get it repaired at a repair shop closer to me,and she said yes. The closest dealer is 80 miles away from me and I live in the fourth largest city in America. Got it repaired and now they want the part to prove it was bad and that I'm not lying. Buy a $40,000 trailer and me and the repair shop are going to lie about a $300 part?

THIS WILL BE MY LAST FOREST RIVER PRODUCT!!!!

HalfBubbleOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Maybe FR has dealings with the repair shop that were questionable
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBubbleOff View Post
Brand new trailer and the awning motor went out on our first long camping trip last fall. I emailed and asked Miranda Blackburn if I could get it repaired at a repair shop closer to me,and she said yes. The closest dealer is 80 miles away from me and I live in the fourth largest city in America. Got it repaired and now they want the part to prove it was bad and that I'm not lying. Buy a $40,000 trailer and me and the repair shop are going to lie about a $300 part?

Send it to them. Ask if they will compensate you for shipping. Perhaps their vendor has been handing them junk and they want to hold their feet to the fire for bad product.
Not really sure how this rolled out. Was the repair shop supposed to ship it to them? If FR paid them (the repair shop) that kind of requirement would be between them.

Keep posting on this as I would like to hear the details...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

All the "On the Road Repair" we have had required a Service PO from F/R "Before" work was performed! They always reimbursed us in Full after we paid the Repair! Are you saying they will NOT pay you? Was the work done last Fall? Youroo!!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Maybe FR has dealings with the repair shop that were questionable
Very reputable repair shop in my area. Family run. They called and received permission before starting the repair.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Send it to them. Ask if they will compensate you for shipping. Perhaps their vendor has been handing them junk and they want to hold their feet to the fire for bad product.
Not really sure how this rolled out. Was the repair shop supposed to ship it to them? If FR paid them (the repair shop) that kind of requirement would be between them.

Keep posting on this as I would like to hear the details...
I had to pay out of pocket for the repair. I have to send the part in for them to test it before they will pay. If all they do is put 12v on it, it will work and they will probably deny me. I can see that one coming. It has to be under load.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
All the "On the Road Repair" we have had required a Service PO from F/R "Before" work was performed! They always reimbursed us in Full after we paid the Repair! Are you saying they will NOT pay you? Was the work done last Fall? Youroo!!
No, the work was just completed. Trying to get them to send me a pre paid shipping voucher before I send it. I was just able to get it to the shop because just went though cancer treatment with my wife for the last few months. I don't want to be out any more money.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:45 AM   #8

Quote:
No, the work was just completed. Trying to get them to send me a pre paid shipping voucher before I send it. I was just able to get it to the shop because just went though cancer treatment with my wife for the last few months. I don't want to be out any more money.

I know that CW needs the old parts, which they have to send back to FR for them to be reimbursed.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:26 AM   #9

It might not be FR it could be Dometic that wants it back, I had a blow out and my Trail express tire was is shreds, Lion head the supplier wanted me to send them the tire are they KIDDING. It wasn't FR who wanted it....When they okayed the work did they tell you they wanted the old part back? If they want it back they should send you a return shipping label If it is under warranty, shouldn't cost you anything....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Howdy Ron and Amy. I hope Amy is doing well.

I wouldn't necessarily take it as they are accusing you of "lying" but are wanting absolute verification that the part was indeed bad.... which usually does mean them having it back.

The return on the part is usually a simple matter when using a FR dealer, since if they don't get the part back, FR Inc does have some recourse by backcharging the dealer as the dealer continues to buy RV/Parts from them. The dealer can also send it back to FR in their normal inflow/outflow with FR.

But by you using a repair shop that isn't buying stuff from FR, the company would have no recourse in collecting money for a repair/part that could "possibly" be not defective. When I say this, a motor could be bad, but so could a $3 switch controlling it. I would think it to be prudent for FR to verify it....even as aggravating as it may seem at this point. I wouldn't consider that they think you are 'lying', but are more wanting to make sure that the right thing is being fixed, and thus don't have to pay for it again if it wasn't.

I know in my tire biz, we have to send back or hold any adjusted tires until an adjuster physically looks at them. No manufacturer takes our unverified word for it either unless it's a recalled tire. In that scenario, we sometimes can just send them the removed DOT number instead of the physical tire. We have a handy dandy special little tool for that.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 AM   #11

In 25 years as a dealer tech in the automotive industry for multiple manufacturers, EVERY part covered under warranty had to be returned to the factory to be tested, write on the part with a Sharpe pen "Unit runs while freewheeling, stalls under normal load" and take a photo of it, In the future, take a video and photos of failed parts, leave your contact info right in the box, you won't have any problems. Documentation is your best defense for reimbursement.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #12

I just had leaf springs replaced under warranty. They gave me no hassles and agreed to replace both springs, but the factory supplied the parts and wanted the old one back. It was over two weeks before the parts arrived, and three before it was fixed. Again, I never got any hassles, but that delay would have been disasterous in the middle of a trip. Glad the season hadn't started yet.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I had to pay out of pocket for the repair. I have to send the part in for them to test it before they will pay. If all they do is put 12v on it, it will work and they will probably deny me. I can see that one coming. It has to be under load.
Now wait a minute- are you calling FR warranty a joke because they gave
a non-network dealer permission to fix your problem and now they want
proof and you just -think- they will probably deny the claim??
Send the part back and then let us know what happened please!
Seems to me you are awfully fast to complain about something bad that
hasn't happened yet....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I also don't really see a problem. If your awning didn't work and now it does, I'm sure they will reimburse. If it still doesn't work correctly, the repair facility may have done a wrong repair. Trust in the fact that this probably isn't the first time they have seen this and know that things that run without load may fail under load. I understand you are playing devil's advocate, but send the part back along with documentation. I had to send back a $3.00 part that had broke, because they want everything back regardless of how trivial. More than likely, they won't even test it, but want the part to adjust stock and be reimbursed by awning manufacturer. (same as you) If they gave permission, they already talked with the service company and probably gave them direction to make sure it was the motor that was bad. Now they just want proof that the work was done. I wouldn't fret over it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #15

To all who say the Defective Part Must be returned for Inspection, I would be interested if this applies to "Used Black Tanks"? In regards to "Tire Return" we had New Maxxis installed before our 3 Month tour. Out in California 1 Tire went bad,replaced with a HD Carlise,because of 1week wait for Maxxis! I took Pic's of the Tire and called my Tire Dealer,who said He would Not carry a Used Tire in His RV either! They Replaced the bad Maxxis Tire when we returned Home! Youroo!!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Now wait a minute- are you calling FR warranty a joke because they gave
a non-network dealer permission to fix your problem and now they want
proof and you just -think- they will probably deny the claim??
Send the part back and then let us know what happened please!
Seems to me you are awfully fast to complain about something bad that
hasn't happened yet....
I agree... the problem was approved and fixed (out of network) but now it seems the OP doesn't want to follow through with the conditions for having the repair done. I'm all for calling a spade, a spade, but until we hear they (FR) denied the claim, let's not be calling the warranty coverage a 'joke' simply on speculation.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #17

Quote:

The repair shop should have sent the part back per the "old" repair rules. Now, however, someone, somewhere is misinformed....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cy-127789.html
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #18

I don't see the issue here either. Seems like FR worked with the OP to have the repair made at a convenient place.

And FR probably needs the part to get credit from the OEM - but there is another big reason why many companies require parts back. They want to keep them out of the hands of re-builders and off the after-market. As an OEM, you don't want anybody and everybody attempting to repair your stuff and re-selling it, where you have no control over workmanship and less than ethical people are likely to pass them off as new parts if they can. If you had a part installed at a repair shop, and it looks exactly like the OEM part, how do you know its new and not a poorly rebuilt part - they would look identical?

Send them back the part, get your cash, and enjoy your camper!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Warranty Part

I'm sure it is not the trust in you or repairing service center, but for Forest River to show documentation of bad part to supplier of defective part. To be reimbursed from supplier what failed and the quality of the product so it can be improved in production of the component part. I I had to return bad parts to my supplier even tho they took my word for warranty reimbursement & repairs. I was in the communications business for 28 years and it was a very common practice to return parts for evaluation. This was to improve the part for future production for zero failure and better performance.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #20

Forest River Warranty

Don't blame FR for this. Repair shop should have contacted them B4 working on it. My warranty work was done where I bought it (Camping World) and I was totally satisfied.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, warranty