Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #21

A normal diesel pusher will not notice a difference in MPG towing or not. Most of thr resistance is from thr frontal area of the motor home, not the weight. Just my experience. 20+ years.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #22

We have a Lexington and tow either a 5 x 10 cargo hauling a HD Road King with tour pack or tow a Saturn Vue. Mileage does not vary more than 1/2 mpg towing or not. This includes a 10,000 Alaska trip. We get 7.5 to 8.5 mpg. We use a Blue Ox tow bar and Patriot brake system. Works great.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #23

I got my program through Banks. Call and tell them what your intensions are and you get a program for your needs. I also added a cold air intake. Main thing to remember with towing is speed. More speed less mileage. Someone talked about Pushers, totally different animal. No comparison!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I tow a 1700lb. 16' open deck car trailer/Falcon on board. Added a program to RV and usually average 7.5-9.5 mpg. All depending on road conditions and traffic. Wont run over 65, usually 5 under. 50000 miles so far this way! I like a trailer because I can back up anywhere.
I would love to see a photo of your 62 Falcon,, I once owned a 61 !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #25

We have a 2500TS on a Ford E-450 with v-10 and tow a 19' boat on a 23' trailer with surge brakes. Our last trip on Wisconsin landscape was 8 MPG. If you will be pulling a cargo trailer, wind resistance will be negligible for the trailer.

Case in point, we pull a 14 ft 7,000 GVW cargo trailer with a '13 Silverado 1500. Whether the trailer is empty or loaded, makes no difference, we get 9 PMG average towing the trailer, 18 MPG not towing. Wind resistance is the factor.

A bit off topic, but we added a rear view camera system to our cargo trailer and it makes a world of difference. We can see a vehicle behind the trailer that would normally be in a blind spot and we know that when we see the full front of a vehicle we are passing that it is safe to change lanes. You are going to be somewhere around 50' long overall and will need all the advantage you can get. RVS (Rear View Safety) sells a kit that includes camera, cables, trailer to TV connections, and monitor. We connected to our in-dash head unit. Ours has been flawless for 3 years.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #26

Yep my Sunseeker also has a rear view camera it was odd watching my car behind us,along with other cars. The wind behind us must be pretty turbulent.the front license plate on the car took a real beating.all the metal around the mounting bolts cracked. on my next tow I'll remove it .
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Yep my Sunseeker also has a rear view camera it was odd watching my car behind us,along with other cars. The wind behind us must be pretty turbulent.the front license plate on the car took a real beating.all the metal around the mounting bolts cracked. on my next tow I'll remove it .
Must be the air from under Sunseeker hey ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #28

Shouldn't need a WDH with a 14'cargo trailer. Am I correct in assuming the cargo trailer has 4 skins on the ground? We have information that the trailer should be loaded 60/40. Sixty percent of the weight forward,forty percent weight to the rear of the axles which we try to estimate. It should tow straight as an arrow.

Would suggest a good spare. Tires are a cargo trailer's worse enemy.Check each of them thoroughly and often. We have had one blow-out on a "perfectly good" tire and have caught several problems before they failed.Though we have never had to use a second spare on a road trip, we carry two spares. Overkill? Maybe, but we can keep moving with confidence if we do have a tire problem.

Another suggestion, the 14' CT should have electric brakes? If so, an integrated brake controller from Ford is an easy add-on. The chassis is pre-wired to fit in the top of the dash. It is at eye level, does not interfere with the driver's legs and integrates the TV brakes with the Toad/cargo trailer brakes system.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #29

We have a 2015 leprechaun 319DS and I installed a rear camera from Rear View Safety.We pull a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport ( The Peach) behind it with Demco Roadmaster tow Bar and a RV2 brake setup. We haven't put that many miles with it but no problems yet. We will find out when we go to Western Canada in the spring. The Jeep pulls like a dream.
hardoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #30

We have a 2015 2501TS and pull a Featherlight double horse trailer with a big chestnut thoroughbred. Pulls like crazy - actually have to remind myself that there is a live animal back there and slow down some times. The DW takes the unit and horse up in to the way back Rocky Mountains on some pretty rough, steep and winding roads and has no problems. Thinking of picking up some sort of TOAD for when we are on human vacations.
Dino61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #31

Adding my two cents..

2 door jk jeep automatic
bra on hood
rock rails
patriot brake
blue ox base and tow bar
diode battery tender (keeps jk batt charged from the coac)
diode light kit wiring to use jk brake lights from coach signal
pull a fuse to keep patriot brake from generating brake light signal to coach

Just about 10,000 miles toading...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester