Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

Upholstery cracked and peeling - fake leather

Does anyone out there have faux leather upholstery cracking & peeling?
My 2016 ForestRiver Wildwood sofa bed is falling apart. The faux leather is also used as trim around the back of the dinette. It is also cracking & peeling. Have not used any harsh chemicals on surface. Have not exposed it to excessive sunlight.
Called the dealership where it was purchased. Service guy called the warranty company to see if it was still covered or if there had been a recall. Was told they had several complaints about the same problem, but no recall has been issued.
What should I do?
dennis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #2

I've seen others on the Forum with problems also. So far, ours is showing no signs of problems. My fingers are crossed.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #3

Find a shop that does car interiors and talk to them. I had my couch redone and it looks great and more comfy!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

Peeling upholstery

Thx for the feedback.
I am in the process of recovering them.
Would rather have ForestRiver fix the problem, since it is obviously poor quality upholstery.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #5

A lot of what they use is from outside venders. It s like anything else. I would rather replace with better myself, then wind up with the same later on.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis4 View Post
My 2016 ForestRiver Wildwood sofa bed is falling apart. The faux leather is also used as trim around the back of the dinette. It is also cracking & peeling. Have not used any harsh chemicals on surface. Have not exposed it to excessive sunlight.
Called the dealership where it was purchased. Service guy called the warranty company to see if it was still covered or if there had been a recall. Was told they had several complaints about the same problem, but no recall has been issued.
What should I do?
My 2014 Lexington had the same cheap upholstery. We replaced the sofa with recliners and had our dinette cushions recovered at a local shop. At first I thought it was sun damage but now I believe it's just cheap material they used.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #7

This has been a problem for many years. My brother just bought a 2011 used Tiffin Motor-home and the dealer told him that they had to recover the sofa and another bench seating area due to the same cheap material. So it's everywhere.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

Upholstery Cracking

My 2014 Wildwood exhibited wearing off of the leather like coating on the corners of the dinette seat backs. Noting more. That can be fixed using an upholstery repair kit found at most auto parts stores.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Replacement material for recliners

Last year we had one of our recliner backs had a couple of small tears (we think from one our pets claws). I tried to repair it and boy did I screw it up. That faux leather material is paper thin and looks to me like its just glued right to the foam padding. So I found the manufacture tag and the sku numbers on that tag to enable me to contact the manufacturer. At first I just wanted to buy material (so it matched the other recliner that wasn't torn) and have an upholstery shop fix the bad one. I ended up buying in entire new chair back (the upper part of the recliner) since it was cheaper than buying material)

Mastercraft is the manufacturer. Maybe this info will help others, so here's a cut/paste of my communication with them:

From: Malinda R. Mills <showroom@mastercraftincorporated.com>
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017 10:11:47 AM
To: Bill Smith
Subject: RE: Defective Forest River Recliner Headrest

We do not warranty the fabrics the mill does. And, their warranty is only 1 year. I don’t believe that Forest River would warranty it either. However, if you want to call Forest River & double check please go ahead.

When we have situations like this we try to keep things in perspective on cost and keep customers happy the best we can. As regards costing for what happened to your recliner, we will discount when the material is on a low quantity order. Most difficult is that once the fabric is gone it’s usually gone for good because the mill stops making it after about 2 yrs. Our inventory shows we have about 8 yards left of your recliner’s material in stock. It's 54" wide and is $15 a yard.

Generally, from my experience, (10 years), the cost for a full replacement back for a recliner depends on the material and the cost is usually closer to $400. I am pleased to provide you with quoted costs that have been discounted below that. If you want just the material, a new cover cut and sewn is $145.90 then you can take that to an upholstery shop that can just reupholster and finish the seat back for you. Full manufactured from us, an entire new back is $285.95. It takes 7-10 to manufacture and shipping will be an additional $79.98. Once you receive the “entire new back” you can simply unlatch the damaged back from the chair base and slip the replacement on. We won’t charge your credit card until the item has been completed and shipped.

We are, if not the only, all American made furniture company left in the industry. Everyone else does importing. So, we have the accessibility of giving customers one on one service instead of waiting for days for answers as seems to be a very common problem in today’s world, unfortunately.

If you want to proceed with any of the options, give me a call and I can take your card and arrange the manufacture and shipping.

Thank You,
Malinda
Mastercraft Incorporated
888-522-5652
www.innovationandvalue.com
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #10

williamsburg furniture built the units, but forest river choose the fabric from one of THEIR supplies and had it shipped to williamsburg furniture. williamsburg furniture will cut the fabric components from their patterns from your fabric for $450. forest river should be ashamed for putting this junk on a $190,000 motorhome.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis4 View Post
What should I do?
We had the same problem on our Salem Cruise Lite. It is a 2014. Fabric falling apart before our eyes! I dumped the sofa which was uncomfortable and put in 2 Stressless recliners. We love it now!! Had to make some pretty serious mods but we’re happy now!! The cost to recover was out of sight and it still would be uncomfortable!
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #12

Passenger Seat Worn and cracked

I have a 2016 FR3 28ds. The passenger seat was worn like your couch. I contacted FR and they sent a new cover to my repair shop. Fixed with no expense to me.
DavidShifflett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #13

It's Chinese material. Had the same problem on my 2009 Georgetown GTX3600. After numerous phone calls to Forest River and 2 trips to the factory I went to the Ralley in Goshen 3 years ago and they replaced front seats and chairs with Quality American Made units at no charge. I am surprised that they still insist on using that cheap Chinese material. If I ever buy another RV I will not accept Chinese material.

Nights Out: 2010=104, 2011=118, 2012=96, 2013=114, 2014=120 & 2105=112
Flnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #14

ForestRiver upholstery cracking and peeling

Thx to everyone for your input.

Shame on ForestRiver for continuing to allow this problem to happen to so many unsuspecting consumers ...And for so many years.
No respect for their customers.
However, if so many just shrug it off, it will continue.
Seems as though only a class action lawsuit will fix it.

I can't afford to spend hundreds on new interior.
I can only hope the outdoor material I'm using to make covers will hold up better.

Thx again for the insights.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Moseley View Post
My 2014 Lexington had the same cheap upholstery. We replaced the sofa with recliners and had our dinette cushions recovered at a local shop. At first I thought it was sun damage but now I believe it's just cheap material they used.
I have also purchased Carhartt seat covers for the front and passenger seats. The cheap vinyl material was cracking on them also. Those canvas Carhartt covers are awsome.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #16
Hank

I have a 2016 Coachmen Leprechaun and have the same problem. I began to notice the cheap material used within a few months after purchase. I have already replaced/recovered the dinette and will probably replace the sofa. I think that if you hold the material up to the light you may be able to see through it. Good luck.

Henry
Henry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 AM   #17

I had the same problem on our 2015 FR3 30DS. I took the manufactures label off the bottom of the captain's chairs and contacted the manufacture of the chairs. Told him the numbers on the label and he told me that the material used was the worst material he had ever used. He tried the get Forest River to use better material but was told it will last long enough for the warranty period to run out. I just replaced the two captain's chairs at the cost of $1,198 including shipping. The rest of the seating is starting to fall apart and I will have to replace the couch and the dinette assembly. Cheaper to get new than to have it reupholstered. Shame on FR. Total lack of concern for the purchaser.
fedatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedatty View Post
I had the same problem on our 2015 FR3 30DS. I took the manufactures label off the bottom of the captain's chairs and contacted the manufacture of the chairs. Told him the numbers on the label and he told me that the material used was the worst material he had ever used. He tried the get Forest River to use better material but was told it will last long enough for the warranty period to run out. I just replaced the two captain's chairs at the cost of $1,198 including shipping. The rest of the seating is starting to fall apart and I will have to replace the couch and the dinette assembly. Cheaper to get new than to have it reupholstered. Shame on FR. Total lack of concern for the purchaser.
That is just criminal. Should be in court.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #19

While we have not had this problem yet, I do think it is worth checking in with FR to see if you could have this fixed/replaced at the rally in Goshen.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #20

I have a 2014 Sanibel with Lane recliners. One recliner has cracking along the headrest. I bought the fabric warranty from CalTex to cover cracking caused by ultraviolet light. Both recliners are in the sun a lot of the time since they are in front of a large rear window. Contacted CalTex through our dealer, and they denied the claim because it doesn’t meet their criteria for repair. I will never purchase fabric protection products from an aftermarket company again, and yes the fabric is paper thin and nowhere near the quality I expected in a top of the line coach.
Moochie6903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack