Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #21

I always have some type of hitch in my receiver, you never know when someone wants to test the strength of their front bumper.....

ependydad... please tell us that you did not tell the DW.... about this. (Well she knows now if she reads these threads...) If we are going to tell stories.... make them a little more believeable.... "that's the last time I let my wife use my truck.... she cleaned everything out of it and now I don't know where any of my tools are.... :

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I always have some type of hitch in my receiver, you never know when someone wants to test the strength of their front bumper.....

ependydad... please tell us that you did not tell the DW.... about this. (Well she knows now if she reads these threads...) If we are going to tell stories.... make them a little more believeable.... "that's the last time I let my wife use my truck.... she cleaned everything out of it and now I don't know where any of my tools are.... :
It's a fifth wheel, so it's a big ole hitch that takes up 1/3 of my truck bed.

And she was there when I realized it. She met me there to spot the camper to make sure that my tailswing doesn't catch my neighbor. I can easily see the inside of the curve; it's the outside that I worry about.

And trust me, there's almost nothing that I don't tell her. It's easier to keep it straight that way.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #23

My silly thing was while i was sheet shooting. Had ear plugs in did not hear the doors lock, must have hit the button getting out. Locked out made a hide a key want happen again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's a fifth wheel, so it's a big ole hitch that takes up 1/3 of my truck bed.

And she was there when I realized it. She met me there to spot the camper to make sure that my tailswing doesn't catch my neighbor. I can easily see the inside of the curve; it's the outside that I worry about.

And trust me, there's almost nothing that I don't tell her. It's easier to keep it straight that way.

Completely forgot that your hitch is in the bed, my bad.....

The more I think about it the funnier it is...... "Honey, lets' go get the camper...." and imagine the look on the two of your faces when you realize....
no hitch in the bed.... (sorry about laughing, but I can't help it)

And you are very right about sharing with the DW.... it is the foundation of a long strong relationship.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
The more I think about it the funnier it is...... "Honey, lets' go get the camper...." and imagine the look on the two of your faces when you realize....
no hitch in the bed.... (sorry about laughing, but I can't help it)
Laugh away now. It's getting funnier as time goes bit. I was fit to be tied when I realized it, though.

I've been explaining to my 10 year old that "the truth is the easiest lie to remember" as she spun herself into a mess of a story one day.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #26

I once brought the hitch, but not the little pin to secure it! AAAAaaaaaarrrggghhhhh.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #27

I there with you man. Not exactly the same but I did it a few weeks ago when I went to get my camper that is parked at my parent's yard an hour away for the winter. I take the battery home with me and put it on a tender all winter. I told myself over and over that I will need to bring it with to use my jack. 15 minutes before we leave I tell myself again that I will need it. We are in the garage ready to go and I sit there for a good 3 minutes going through my "mental checklist" because that always works. So we head out and the whole family is super excited, my 3 year old is saying "Daddy, we go find camper?". Yep, we will be at grandma and grandpa's house in about an hour to get it. 45 minutes into the trip I look at my wife and say "Uh, guess what I didn't grab?". Yep the battery. Now, I am saved by the manual crank but it sure would have been a whole lot nicer with that battery......
Old 04-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by travyp View Post
I there with you man. Not exactly the same but I did it a few weeks ago when I went to get my camper that is parked at my parent's yard an hour away for the winter. I take the battery home with me and put it on a tender all winter. I told myself over and over that I will need to bring it with to use my jack. 15 minutes before we leave I tell myself again that I will need it. We are in the garage ready to go and I sit there for a good 3 minutes going through my "mental checklist" because that always works. So we head out and the whole family is super excited, my 3 year old is saying "Daddy, we go find camper?". Yep, we will be at grandma and grandpa's house in about an hour to get it. 45 minutes into the trip I look at my wife and say "Uh, guess what I didn't grab?". Yep the battery. Now, I am saved by the manual crank but it sure would have been a whole lot nicer with that battery......
You could have gotten close enough to plug in the pigtail and used the tow vehicle battery.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You could have gotten close enough to plug in the pigtail and used the tow vehicle battery.
Yes, that light bulb went on AFTER I was already hooked up. Go figure.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I'd be curious if that would work. My jack is a separate lead off the battery from the main line to the TT. I suppose it would all depend on wither or not the two leads have continuity without the battery in place. Probably do, but I don't guarantee anything without checking it out first. Be good to test so I know if ever run into a situation where the battery needs to come out.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I'd be curious if that would work. My jack is a separate lead off the battery from the main line to the TT. I suppose it would all depend on wither or not the two leads have continuity without the battery in place. Probably do, but I don't guarantee anything without checking it out first. Be good to test so I know if ever run into a situation where the battery needs to come out.
I know it works on my fifth wheel for the landing gear. The last delivery driver drove it here from Indiana without a battery and hitched/unhitched because that compartment was locked.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #32
Who Dares, Wins

Jeez... Forgotten the propane tanks once, oops. Forgot our pillows another time. Use a foam pillow and found that you could not find one foam pillow in the state of MD (at least where we were).. hmm, what else... Forgot to bring socks and underwear for a two week trip. I though the wife did it and she though I did it.... Checklists are good...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Jeez... Forgotten the propane tanks once, oops. Forgot our pillows another time. Use a foam pillow and found that you could not find one foam pillow in the state of MD (at least where we were).. hmm, what else... Forgot to bring socks and underwear for a two week trip. I though the wife did it and she though I did it.... Checklists are good...
I work remotely from my office, but I did make a stop in the summer of 2012 for a week near the office so I could go there and work while we pushed hard on a project. Turns out I forgot my dress shoes. I was left with the options of white sneakers or 2 different kinds of sandals.

I opted for tan dress socks and tan sandals.

My manager did not see the humor in it. (Still doesn't- makes it all the funnier for me!)
Old 04-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #34
Who Dares, Wins

That's is funny! Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I work remotely from my office, but I did make a stop in the summer of 2012 for a week near the office so I could go there and work while we pushed hard on a project. Turns out I forgot my dress shoes. I was left with the options of white sneakers or 2 different kinds of sandals.

I opted for tan dress socks and tan sandals.

My manager did not see the humor in it. (Still doesn't- makes it all the funnier for me!)
I've done that for the staff holiday's party. Flew all the way to corporate, only to realize I left the house with sneakers. Ended up hitting a mall before the dinner to pick up a proper pair of shoes.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Jeez... Forgotten the propane tanks once, oops.
Jeez, glad you reminded me. I am going camping tomorrow and had pulled one of the tanks out, when I fried a turkey last weekend. It's still sitting on the back porch......where I would have left it. Thanks. I owe you one.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #37
Resident Masshole

Not a camping example, but a recent senior moment for me anyway. On our last snowmobile trip in March, we got all the way to my parents camp (180 miles away), got the truck unloaded etc, and then when we went to get us and the kids dressed to take a sled ride...found out I had forgotten the kid's helmets. D'oh!
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #38
Webfoot

I've forgotten the bumper hitch before when going to pick up, so started storing it in the trailer. I've also forgotten trailer keys before, so now keep a spare set stashed in the the Suburban so that I can make sure to get into the trailer to get the hitch...
Old 04-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackor View Post
I've also forgotten trailer keys before, so now keep a spare set stashed in the the Suburban so that I can make sure to get into the trailer to get the hitch...
I've forgotten keys so many times that I consider them optional.

Since I have the trailer at my house, I leave it unlocked. The only thing I really need a key for is to get into the compartment that has my chocks and cords...which can only be closed/opened by a key. Since I usually camp with a group of friends, their compartment keys fit mine, so I borrow one of theirs to get into it if need be.

It's happened so many times, that when I arrive at the campground, one of them usually walks over with their keys in hand.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #40

Speaking of keys..... could not find the key to open the small door on our old camper water fill hatch..... (Fresh water tank empty). Asked the in-laws for a blue water jug to put water in..... "Do you want to borrow 'my' key", is what he said......"They are all 'keyed' the same".... sure enough it worked.