Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
Camper Less Camping

Another reason I have a Pullrite Superglide...you don't ever forget when you have to move that heavy ***** hitch ,)))

Old 04-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #42
Somewhat right of center

True story, a buddy of mine took his truck on a two hour drive to go fishing. He got to his destination, stopped at the bait shop, then realized he forgot his fishing boat. I kid you not. That man has some stories.

As for my hitch, if my back hurts, I got it.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #43

I went to check on the trailer during the winter but when I got there I realized I removed the keys from my ring to lighten the key ring. I ended up doing a walk around then went home. From now on I'm keeping those keys together.
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I always have some type of hitch in my receiver, you never know when someone wants to test the strength of their front bumper.....

ependydad... please tell us that you did not tell the DW.... about this. (Well she knows now if she reads these threads...) If we are going to tell stories.... make them a little more believeable.... "that's the last time I let my wife use my truck.... she cleaned everything out of it and now I don't know where any of my tools are.... :
I was rear ended on the freeway with the impact directly on my hitch. After receiving head & neck injuries leaving the hitch in scares me. From what I understand the impact on the hitch can be 2 & 1/2 times stronger.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Heh. I'm claiming it was the bed cover. It's always closed.

That's actually what made me realize it as I pulled up to the camper. I thought about backing up and dropping the tailgate and opening the bed cover and went, "DUH!".
LOL...We got a lot to talk about at Goshen...in fact I bet the whole team could spend 1...maybe 2 evenings around the fire telling NO SH__ there I was stories!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #46
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I was rear ended on the freeway with the impact directly on my hitch. After receiving head & neck injuries leaving the hitch in scares me. From what I understand the impact on the hitch can be 2 & 1/2 times stronger.
Makes sense. Nowadays, cars/trucks bumpers are made to absorb and distribute energy (avoiding the frame) around the occupants. Afterwards it leaves the vehicle looking like a complete mess but the occupants are much better off. That hitch is directly part of the frame and you'll feel everything.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

I am sure the the other guy knew that he hit something. Vehicles are made with crunch zones to take and reduce an impact and keep the main seating cage area intact. The hitch receiver area, being bolted to the frame is not a crunch zone area. With this in mind, in a low impact accident the damage should be more minimal to you, but also this is just a 'bar' sticking out the back of your truck 6-8 inches. It will only punch a hole into the offended vehicle on a low impact hit. If you had neck and head injuries, having a hitch on or off would have made little to no difference, as this sounds like a higher speed impact. I am sure that the impact was great and I am sorry about your injury, but the impact from/to the following vehicle would be even greater to them than to you. How did their vehicle and persons fair in this?

Safety first and always, seat belts, speed and distance....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Speaking of keys..... could not find the key to open the small door on our old camper water fill hatch..... (Fresh water tank empty). Asked the in-laws for a blue water jug to put water in..... "Do you want to borrow 'my' key", is what he said......"They are all 'keyed' the same".... sure enough it worked.
That's one reason I changed all the locks including the entrance door lock. All keyed alike and unique to our rig. I suppose if somebody wanted in bad enough I would have some damage.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #49

I am unable to cast the first stone in this event.......
Old 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #50
Mod free 5er

More than once in the past 8 yrs, we will leave the house, drive a mile up the highway and ask "Did you close the garage doors?". Turn around and go back to check. Happens when we are in the car, truck, truck & 5er. Talk about feeling stupid when we have to do it and find the doors closed. Luckily we have a nice turn around available going both directions from the house.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #51

The only thing missing in this forum is a "like" button as I sit here laughing my head off at some of the responses. We've all been guilty of doing dumb
things. Just nice to agree with other people who've been right there with me.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #52

I've got you beat. How about the hitch pin? I took it in to measure it's length and diameter (I was making something that could be locked with a hitch lock.) then promptly left the pin at work. My only pin.

So that weekend I'm hitching up and yep, no pin. I had the hitch, I had everything. No pin, and it was my only pin at the time.

It being locked up I burned an hour running across town to Walmart and back, plus bought a locking pin.

Yeah.......ooops!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #53

It doesn't matter if I go camping, fishing, or out to sea, I always forget one thing. And it's usually something different each time.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #54

"I always have some type of hitch in my receiver, you never know when someone wants to test the strength of their front bumper..... "

Beware:
There are many locales where leaving a drawbar and ball in a receiver on a vehicle will get you a ticket! There was a traffic stop last year in a nearby town in upstate NY where they were writing tickets as folks were pulled over.
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by travyp View Post
I there with you man. Not exactly the same but I did it a few weeks ago when I went to get my camper that is parked at my parent's yard an hour away for the winter. I take the battery home with me and put it on a tender all winter. I told myself over and over that I will need to bring it with to use my jack. 15 minutes before we leave I tell myself again that I will need it. We are in the garage ready to go and I sit there for a good 3 minutes going through my "mental checklist" because that always works. So we head out and the whole family is super excited, my 3 year old is saying "Daddy, we go find camper?". Yep, we will be at grandma and grandpa's house in about an hour to get it. 45 minutes into the trip I look at my wife and say "Uh, guess what I didn't grab?". Yep the battery. Now, I am saved by the manual crank but it sure would have been a whole lot nicer with that battery......

or a set of jumper cables to the truck battery and the empty battery leads on the camper...
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Speaking of keys..... could not find the key to open the small door on our old camper water fill hatch..... (Fresh water tank empty). Asked the in-laws for a blue water jug to put water in..... "Do you want to borrow 'my' key", is what he said......"They are all 'keyed' the same".... sure enough it worked.
The famous CH11 key...

I bought the round keyed locks for a few compartments to keep my stuff mine... leave a set of keys in the tow vehicle just in case!
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #57

I sometimes forget to engage TOW HAUL till I've begun to accelerate.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #58
Site Team

I drove 70 miles to buy a bass boat. Never thought to put a ball in the received. Dealer gave me a new one. Cha-ching!

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #59
Site Team

Ever left for a trip and had the feeling like you had Not forgotten anything at all? Yeah. Me neither.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #60

Picking up our new 5th wheel last month from the dealership that is an hour away, I got 3/4 of the way there only to realize I left the temporary tag on the kitchen table. :/ With a truck that gets 10 miles to the gallon I wasn't a happy camper...