Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
Site Team
I got a call from Forest River

I got a very nice and cordial call from Cory at Forest River. I will try to paraphrase his comments and try to represent them fairly and accurately. FR has not changed their product process since the Katrina trailer flap as they have been testing their products for formaldehyde levels and they feel that the levels they are finding are not harmful. He indicated that a number of manufacturers, trying to meet heavy sudden Katrina demand, may have had to procure plywood that possibly had higher levels than normal. Also, conditions for the tests were possibly unusual. He is sending me a web site address that has additional information that we may all find useful. I will post that site address in a few days when I'm back in town. It really seems that this whole thing was likely blown out of proportion and even possibly mis-represented. So some of the findings of high formaldehyde levels may have been quite unusual and should not necessarily be a cause for general alarm. I very much got the sense that they are acting responsibly in their manufacturing process. I wasn't particulary concerned in the first place and am not concerned at all at this point. I thought it was very nice of them to return my call. They were very open and not defensive. Rather, they are willing to provide information. What more can you ask? I was impressed.

acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
i must admit, the last two times I have called FR they have been helpful and prompt

2008 Wildwood LE 29BHBS
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
I guess I will chime in. This was a concern of ours after going to an RV show and looking at RV's on lots. It never bothered me but my wife would get runny burning eyes and could not stand to be in most TT for more than a few minutes. Not so sure why someone would be more sensitive to this than others... wierd. Anyway we bought our TT from a dealer on the internet and we were a little concerned. But when we got it. It was great. No burning watery eyes. Nothing. Now we still aired out our TT but I would say either the dealer we bought from airs them out or that Forest River has much lower offgassing than others. I do think as said above in this thread that airing out the TT for even a short time helps significantly.
Seasonal site camping
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
Site Team

This is the site recommended by Cody (I got his name wrong) from Forest River. Give it a look.

acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
We too were in the "pungent odor buring eyes" crowd when we got our 2004 and would open it up after being in storage. 15 minutes of ventilation and there were no problems whatsoever.

Stayed like this the first three years we had it.. by year 4... nothing.

I agree with those that suggest this isn't much to worry about.

BTW, great forum!
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #16
Lets See....Govt provided shelter, shark lawyers, deep pockets, Oh I'm sick, send more money...IMHO

Everyone wants to blame someone for their problems. I mean come on, If you are in a closed enviroment and stay there after noticing fumes, and take no action to allow the fumes to vent, who's fault is it?

Ever smell the inside of a new car, stick your nose on a sheet of plywood, or new carpet, or just about any product, they smell, lots end up vented while sitting in warehouses or on the shelves,

Common sense need not apply.
Regards, RJW

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
I am very sensitive to the odors in my new Cherokee. I get burning watery eyes and my throat even burns, but once I open the windows and let it air out for a few minutes, I'm fine.

I don't find it to be a big deal. It's not going to kill me to open a few windows. I like the fresh air anyway.
SSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
We bought our Cherokee BH27 in February, and it's been closed up for about a month. I just went in last night to clean it out for our trip this weekend, and other than the new camper smell (don't you just love that smell? LOL) I had no problems with burning eyes, etc. It's great to know that FR has great customer service - it makes me feel even better about our purchase!
CubFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #19
We have been camping in Mission, TX since November 2014 and have been sick more than we have been well. Chronic cough, very sore throat, enlarged glands in throat, sinus issues like runny nose, headache, fatigue, etc. It has been rainy and cold and we have had windows closed and running the furnace and electric fireplace almost 24x7. I'm beginning to suspect formaldehyde poisoning...has anyone else had issues with spending too much time in their Forest River V-Lite travel trailer??? Our trailer was purchased in May 2014 and we have traveled mostly on warm weekends up until now. What can we do...this is affecting my husband and myself health.
Minnie Meyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #20
It could be a mold issue

2015 Cedar Creek 38CK
jkeezer is offline   Reply With Quote