Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #21

Most probably you have a different issue.

I belive the green certification that came on our Camper would exclude the uses of formaldehyde. This Thread is almost 7 years old.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Meyer View Post
We have been camping in Mission, TX since November 2014 and have been sick more than we have been well. Chronic cough, very sore throat, enlarged glands in throat, sinus issues like runny nose, headache, fatigue, etc. It has been rainy and cold and we have had windows closed and running the furnace and electric fireplace almost 24x7. I'm beginning to suspect formaldehyde poisoning...has anyone else had issues with spending too much time in their Forest River V-Lite travel trailer??? Our trailer was purchased in May 2014 and we have traveled mostly on warm weekends up until now. What can we do...this is affecting my husband and myself health.
as was said, you've resurrected an 7 year-old thread and i doubt if there's any formaldehyde in your RV's construction, since this was an issue quite a bit before yours was built.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
Lon

Well look at it this way. U should get a discount on ur funeral expenses since this is the chemicle they will use to embalm u and u won't need as much :-)
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Meyer View Post
We have been camping in Mission, TX since November 2014 and have been sick more than we have been well. Chronic cough, very sore throat, enlarged glands in throat, sinus issues like runny nose, headache, fatigue, etc. It has been rainy and cold and we have had windows closed and running the furnace and electric fireplace almost 24x7. I'm beginning to suspect formaldehyde poisoning...has anyone else had issues with spending too much time in their Forest River V-Lite travel trailer??? Our trailer was purchased in May 2014 and we have traveled mostly on warm weekends up until now. What can we do...this is affecting my husband and myself health.

Sounds like the common cold to me. But I'm not a doctor. If you have a concern you should probably double check with your physician.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #25

The MicroLite I have has a sticker that it is a "green" trailer, whatever that is worth. I do know that when I was looking at campers, the smell in some of them would give me an almost instant headache and I almost never get headaches. But many others had little to no odor or affect on me. I will never buy a trailer or RV that has that much smell as it can't possibly be good for people.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #26
Newly Retired

I have a 2016 FR and when working inside it I would get a headache.
Then decided to open the cabinets to air them out. Very strong new smell that almost made me dizzy came out.
Have been airing it out with some improvement however when lining the cabinets with rubber mats, the headache is back.
Have heard that heating the interior and the venting over and over would speed the, "gas off".
Actually afraid to sleep in it until this clears.
Some people are more sensitive to this, I'm sure.
Plan to burn candles and possibly try charcoal.
Vinyl flooring could be part of the problem too?
Newest camper I have ever had, would be nice if I could enjoy it now.
Any ideas?
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #27
Newly Retired

Finally have had weather that permits leaving all the windows open. The problem is going away slowly.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #28

Hi there. We jus purchased our tt a month ago, a Salem, and the smell is very very strong. I've purchased smelleze bags, use ozone machine nightly, air it out daily and still no avail. Has anyone had any luck with anything or is returning it to the dealer as an option? We would like to travel but I get so sick jus standing in it for a few seconds.
Canchzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #29
Newly Retired

Be sure to keep the cabinet doors open when not in use so they can air out on the inside. If possible keep some or all the windows open too.
It is disappointing but in a matter of time it will be gone.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #30

There will always be some off-gassing from the materials used in the manufacturing of RVs. The same thing happens in houses and commercial buildings although it probably doesn't seem as bad because their interior volume is greater. It's true that some people are more susceptible to feeling the effects of the off-gassing. There's not much you can do about it other than not use the RV until it's been aired out for some time.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote