Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 01:45 AM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I live about 30 miles from where they are built... If you need info I can try to find out for you or get pictures.

Appreciate that. I don't think I can justify the cost of a custom build from them- no matter how awesome they are. Unfortunately, what I want and what is currently offered in the market doesn't cross (mid-ship bunkhouse with outdoor kitchen and 1 1/2-bath).

If I did actually pursue a custom build, I'd likely have to settle for the boxed-wine of custom builders and looks at Recreation By Design (RBD). It's my understanding that their cost is far cheaper than Starcraft which is a good bit cheaper than New Horizons.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:01 AM   #22

We looked at them and they had couple used ones in 70 to 80 range that were really really nice. The one thing we notice is everyone we look at was over 20,500 lbs and sales guy said pin weights run at about 22% to 23% of gross weight. At the time we had 3/4 ton truck... We did look at on that was over 250,000 and it was impressive and make other 5er look like junk..
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:57 AM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We looked at them and they had couple used ones in 70 to 80 range that were really really nice. The one thing we notice is everyone we look at was over 20,500 lbs and sales guy said pin weights run at about 22% to 23% of gross weight. At the time we had 3/4 ton truck... We did look at on that was over 250,000 and it was impressive and make other 5er look like junk..
Yeah, that's my understanding. They're beautiful, but heavy. Even with my 1-ton dually, I'd be significantly overloaded. I have 4,300 lbs. of payload in the truck that I have now. Given a 20,000 weight + 23% pin weight, I'd be overloaded before anything else (add in 1,500 pounds for family + stuff). I'm not sure what I'd do there!

But, they sure are pretty. The fact that no one makes the camper that we want to buy is a bummer. I have thought about cold-contacting a few manufacturers to see if they want to pickup the design + mass produce it. I think it has appeal to families. Problem is, I've missed the big push for this year's model designs and there's that whole "randomly contacting folks" thing.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #24

Doug, have you seen the Cedar Creek Silverback with the mid bunkroom? Can not remember if it has the outside kitchen.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Doug, have you seen the Cedar Creek Silverback with the mid bunkroom? Can not remember if it has the outside kitchen.

I haven't - I'll have to look at it.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #26

Just my take on things...... Its kind of like Chevy to a Cadillac Because you own a Chevy does not mean the quality is worse than a Cadillac nor does it mean the Chevy will be in the shop more........ It does mean that there are more extras, creature comforts, nicer ride etc........ with the Cadillac.

The Forest River Line is very much the same way. The lower ends just do not have the extras........ the quality is the same............ but if you really ask me some of the lower lines have less issues......... maybe its like Mom always said the fancier cars just have more to go wrong........

Bottom line get what you like and can afford. When you are camping who cares other than you if you are in a tent of a 300K motorhome ........

Just

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #27
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
we had a Graywolf 19RR toy hauler. Has no problems with it. Was a great little trailer. Purchased a little larger Work & Play 25ULA hoping for nicers finishes and better build.

That has NOT been the case. The WP cost twice again what the Graywolf did. We have had nothing but problems with the Work & Play. So price is NOT a good place to start.

Work & Play came highly recommened by friends and others. Did our research and homework. I do not thik we would buy another one ever.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #28
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Option vs. Standard

There is also the "Standard" vs. "Optional" game to consider. For late 2015 and early 2016, FR made 16" Maxxis tires, a 32" LED Bedroom TV, a 9cuft Refrig and a second A/C no charge standard. Previously they were Option add-ons. This was on the now discontinued Wildcat 295rsx. The replacement model made all those optional again but they did cut the MSRP a little.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #29

My take on it... When talking about quality, I don't mean what amenities are offered. I mean what materials were used, and how much actual craftsmanship went into building the house. My SV-264 trailer is nicer that the Sport 264-RK they sell now. Mine has a lot of things the Sport model doesn't have, and my '12 had a higher MSRP that the '16s do now. Let's face a simple fact... mine's not any higher quality than the new ones that are cheaper. It's not made of better stuff or with more skilled labor. The frame's the same cheap frame... the appliances are the same... the plumbing, electrical systems, etc... yep same old crap. Move up to a higher priced FR product the same size... yes it may look a little better and the amenities are nicer, but again it's the same frame, walls, running gear, plumbing/electrical, etc... i.e. GMC/Chevy... I believe it was the late Yogi Berra that said, "It's like deja vu, all over again..."
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote