Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #21
I Break Everything

How many days are you staying? The staff is really helpful and there's quite a bit to do in the park. Bring your wallet for sure.

Buses are reliable, we've done both meal plans and not, They work okay. When we were at the Fort we rented a golf cart...other than parking your truck at your site, there is NO parking anywhere in side the campground for vehicles other that golf carts. At pools, restaurants, shows, the ferry, etc. We drove ours every where our kids loved it. If you love to walk it won't be a problem. I don't mind walking, but that park is quite large.

We always go during the summer, it Rains just about everyday, sometimes a simple shower, sometimes a gully washer. I was surprised at how well the drained water out. Mosquito spray is needed, especially at night in the campground.

Have fun! Do a character breakfast, download the disney app. you can make reservations anytime.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #22

Just Returned

Just returned from a week at Fort Wilderness. Great time, wonderful camp ground. Can be very tight in some loops. We were in the 500 loop. Some sites are difficult to back into. We have a 35' TT. Last time we were in the 300 loop. That is even tighter. Love the boat ride to Magic Kingdom no need to hassle with the buses. Food and wine festival going on at EPCOT. Be prepared to see deer, turkey, and armadillos. Have a great time.
lesteradams6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #23

We were there a few years ago! I wasn't impressed at all. We were in the 200 loop which is very tight with a 35 ft TT and 20 ft TV. The site was so-so. The campground was OK, think of it as a Yogi X10! But hardly worth the $$$$ per night. We had a pkg and i think I figured the site came to around $100 a night. I don't feel the need to want to go back.

Disney itself was nice, no need for the fast passes. The longest we waited was 45 minutes for a ride. The fast pass line was only about 10 minutes shorter.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
We were there a few years ago! I wasn't impressed at all. We were in the 200 loop which is very tight with a 35 ft TT and 20 ft TV. The site was so-so. The campground was OK, think of it as a Yogi X10! But hardly worth the $$$$ per night. We had a pkg and i think I figured the site came to around $100 a night. I don't feel the need to want to go back.

Disney itself was nice, no need for the fast passes. The longest we waited was 45 minutes for a ride. The fast pass line was only about 10 minutes shorter.
Were you camping with kids? Grandchildren? It appeals to them and the things you can do with them. Did you go to any of the campground events? And part of the worth of the campground is it's on property. If it was stand alone out in the boonies then it would be expensive for just what is there.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #25

If I could take the grandkids then I would go, rent a cart but just me and DW we can stay outside the park for a lot less. I like to go to Disney but it's more fun with kids. We took the kids often but just the two of us now, it's just not that much fun anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Go to Fort Fiends to find all the info you need to know about WDW Fort Wilderness Campground.

Directions:
Take I-10 to I-75
I-75 to Fl Turnpike Exit 272 keep right onto ramp
Turn left onto SR-50 (Colonial Dr. West)
Turn right onto CR-535 (Winter Garden Vineland)
Road name changes to SR-535
Turn right on to Vista Blvd
Entrance will be on right after Bonnet Creek Parkway light (Well marked)

I would get on the 429 toll road south and take it to Western way(Disney exit) rather than SR 50/west colonial. This will keep you out of all the traffic until you get to Disney property. Much easier than the Orlando traffic. I live an hour from Disney and camp there all the time and this is the route I take as it is much easier.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #27

????

Never understand why folks want to visit Mickey rat world. Plastic. Crowded. Expensive. Corporate. Why not visit the real Florida for about 20 bucks a night by staying at one of our state parks! Just got back from a week at Manatee Springs SP...a silent kayak float down that wonderous spring run and out onto the Suwanee River beats some stupid log flume ride any day. Your grand kids will forget Disney in a week, because it's phony and meaningless. They'll never forget a family of whitetail deer quietly strolling through your campsite at dusk, unafraid and welcoming...and the fact that you were there with them...and cared enough to show them something real.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #28

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
Never understand why folks want to visit Mickey rat world. Plastic. Crowded. Expensive. Corporate. Why not visit the real Florida for about 20 bucks a night by staying at one of our state parks! Just got back from a week at Manatee Springs SP...a silent kayak float down that wonderous spring run and out onto the Suwanee River beats some stupid log flume ride any day. Your grand kids will forget Disney in a week, because it's phony and meaningless. They'll never forget a family of whitetail deer quietly strolling through your campsite at dusk, unafraid and welcoming...and the fact that you were there with them...and cared enough to show them something real.
Our family has done both worlds and enjoyed both worlds and one doesn't have to exclude the other. Disney himself loved nature and his studio made it's mark in the early days with dozens of nature films in theater and TV and won awards for them. That carried on to animals being lead actors in many of his films and cartoons and the theme parks showcasing animals and nature in all ways. It all works on many levels.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #30
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Our family has done both worlds and enjoyed both worlds and one doesn't have to exclude the other. Disney himself loved nature and his studio made it's mark in the early days with dozens of nature films in theater and TV and won awards for them. That carried on to animals being lead actors in many of his films and cartoons and the theme parks showcasing animals and nature in all ways. It all works on many levels.
X2!

There is always a time for both types of vacations. Especially if you have little ones running with you.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
The 100/200/300 loops are their tightest and oldest loops. The Fort was built back when campers were much smaller. I've gotten my 42' fifth wheel and 22' truck parked twice in the 200 loop- it's tricky, but can be done. I'm trying a different class of site this time, and we'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Sadly, this just isn't the case any longer. FastPasses and planning are almost required to get the most out of your day at Disney. A buddy of mine went down to Disney on a whim. He did no prior planning and considered it just like any other theme park out there. He came away hating Disney and calling it stupid. Unfortunately, Disney is wildly different than anywhere else.

Quote:
Were you camping with kids? Grandchildren? It appeals to them and the things you can do with them. Did you go to any of the campground events? And part of the worth of the campground is it's on property. If it was stand alone out in the boonies then it would be expensive for just what is there.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If I could take the grandkids then I would go, rent a cart but just me and DW we can stay outside the park for a lot less. I like to go to Disney but it's more fun with kids. We took the kids often but just the two of us now, it's just not that much fun anymore.
Believe it or not, my wife and I enjoy Disney with the kids but enjoy it just as much without them. It's a different enjoyment, but we still have a great time. We were just there this past May for a week near our anniversary.

Quote:
Agreed wholeheartedly. It's not one or the other. On our trip, we started in June at Disney and most recently went from the beautiful majesty of Colorado Springs with Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, etc. to the stunning scenery of Moab, UT to VEGAS, BABY! We enjoyed Disney and the craziness of Vegas as much as the others- just in a different way.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:57 AM   #32

We towed our T/T there for our twins 7th birthday, now almost 5 years ago. Ours was a surprise too! And really wonderful. I agree with the golf cart idea. Though our site was right next to the dock for the boat to take you to the parks we used it mostly for the pool. We thought the food was terrible though we never did a nice restaurant in the park, the one in the campground was not so good. No meal plan for us we bought lunch I. The park and most of the other meals in the camper. You can bring a water bottle in the park and I advise it! Get a bottle you can clip on a belt loop to free up your hands and not loose it or forget it on rides. You can fill it in the park for free

Do not miss the ride SOARING in Epcot. Amazing!!!

Most importantly do not think this is to be a relaxing adventure. You are gonna be going non stop. I amazes my self when I found us going to the pool at 11pm to calm the kids down so they would fall asleep.

Hope you have a great time!!!!!! Safe travels!
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #33

Do not miss the ride SOARING in Epcot. Amazing!!!

Hope you have a great time!!!!!! Safe travels![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I think they just closed soarin for several months to add more seats to shorten the wait and I think they are adding different visuals as well.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #34

We have booked for Halloween 2016 as we live local, its an event and a group of us go which makes it worthwhile trick or treating and all that good stuff. But to be honest I don't think its worth the money during non event times. You can get into some of the very nice local campgrounds off US192 for around $40 per night and its just a short drive to Disney, with the money you save you can pay for your theme park tickets and there are tons of inexpensive eateries and stores incl camping world etc. Thousand trails is just 15 minutes from Disney using Passport America discount gets you up to 7 nights from $20 a night. Sherwood Forest (15mins), and Lake Magic (10mins) are close by and a lot cheaper with better access.
Steve-and-Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The 100/200/300 loops are their tightest and oldest loops. The Fort was built back when campers were much smaller. I've gotten my 42' fifth wheel and 22' truck parked twice in the 200 loop- it's tricky, but can be done. I'm trying a different class of site this time, and we'll see how it goes.

Sadly, this just isn't the case any longer. FastPasses and planning are almost required to get the most out of your day at Disney. A buddy of mine went down to Disney on a whim. He did no prior planning and considered it just like any other theme park out there. He came away hating Disney and calling it stupid. Unfortunately, Disney is wildly different than anywhere else.

Agreed.

Believe it or not, my wife and I enjoy Disney with the kids but enjoy it just as much without them. It's a different enjoyment, but we still have a great time. We were just there this past May for a week near our anniversary.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It's not one or the other. On our trip, we started in June at Disney and most recently went from the beautiful majesty of Colorado Springs with Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, etc. to the stunning scenery of Moab, UT to VEGAS, BABY! We enjoyed Disney and the craziness of Vegas as much as the others- just in a different way.

I went with the wife and kids back in Nov. 2011. at the time my kids were 9 and 10. Yes it`s on property, but even with that It wasn`t worth what they are getting. My wife planned out the days in the parks. She did good and wee seen what we wanted too. but it was just too much running and no relaxing, not the way I want to spend my vacation. and we were there 5 days 4 of which were in the parks.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote