Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #41

Hi! The Lone Arranger here. After several months of stalling and flat out lies, Forest River took over the ball from our worthless dealer. Problem solved the NEXT day by FR.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #42

our 2015 FR surveyor 5th wheel also had the manual access whole in the wrong place, on both sides so our dealer had them send the correct fenders for replacing what was on there. they also had to replace the oven door, and some other issues found in our final walk thru. it took several tries to get everything fixed but as of right we are fixed and have enjoyed the camper.the only thing that I question (and I've addressed this in the FR avener TT we had before we traded up to our 5th wheel, is that the light switch to the over head lights in the bedroom are all the way across the room from the door, which means we have to stumble across the room and up onto the raised bed floor area to turn the light on. the bedroom door from the hallway is a slider, but the wall in hallway wood be a perfect place to put the overhead light switch, especially since all the electric lines for all the switches and dump station switches are there any way. go figure
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #43

My 2015 Vibe 268RKS doesn't even have a hole through the skirt for the manual crank. I guess that's better than having one in the wrong place since I just have to drill one, not fill one.

Also, it looks like you might have the same problem as I do with the door being too close to the awning arm. If the awning is out, I can't open my door all the way since it hits the arm. That's not a QC issue, that's a design issue.

I think the reason we don't get the same quality as we do in our cars is because we don't have overseas RV makers pushing the cost/quality envelope like we did for autos "back in the day". From my (admittedly limited) understanding, the RV manufacturers can pretty much sell these as fast as the make them so where is their incentive to improve?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
My 2015 Vibe 268RKS doesn't even have a hole through the skirt for the manual crank. I guess that's better than having one in the wrong place since I just have to drill one, not fill one.

Also, it looks like you might have the same problem as I do with the door being too close to the awning arm. If the awning is out, I can't open my door all the way since it hits the arm. That's not a QC issue, that's a design issue.

I think the reason we don't get the same quality as we do in our cars is because we don't have overseas RV makers pushing the cost/quality envelope like we did for autos "back in the day". From my (admittedly limited) understanding, the RV manufacturers can pretty much sell these as fast as the make them so where is their incentive to improve?
Yes my awning doesn't allow the door to open all the way when deployed. I don't understand why they just couldn't mount the awning over a couple inches, that's all it would have taken.
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #45

The awning can't be shifted over any more because it would hit the outside kitchen hatch door. The only solution is a bigger awning - and more money.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #46
Canadian Member

If your door cannot be opened and secured to the trailer wall because of the position of the awning arm, hopefully FR provided a strut on the door to prevent the door from hitting the awning arm. If they didn't, I recommend that you add the strut.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #47

FR never ceases to amaze me

A good friend of mine said "You will always get what you accept." I am an old grump and stand up for quality. When you pay for "X", you should get "X", not "X"-1. Campers, cars, or breadbaskets, it shouldn't matter. We haven't lost our right to quality, we gave it away and get what we will accept. End of rant.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #48

Is it possible to switch it out with the other side?
Tater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETCHIEF View Post
A good friend of mine said "You will always get what you accept." I am an old grump and stand up for quality. When you pay for "X", you should get "X", not "X"-1. Campers, cars, or breadbaskets, it shouldn't matter. We haven't lost our right to quality, we gave it away and get what we will accept. End of rant.

That's fine to say but how exactly do you "stand up for quality"? If you refuse to buy an RV with poor QC/design, you are essentially not going to be able to buy an RV. But step aside because there is somebody right behind you who will - i. e. Pretty much everyone here.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater70 View Post

I don't understand the question.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I don't understand the question.
Switch tailights from side to side.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater70 View Post
I could but then the license plate would partially cove the ref. exhaust that's on the other side. My guess is that's why they put it where they did.
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #53
Site Team

When I toured the rockwood factory last year everyone was amazed at the speed of the workers. They ran for every part they needed, slammed it in place and screwed it in. Race against the clock. We were told that the assembly line moved every 15 mins and the workers had to complete their tasks in that time, then start it over on the next unit. It looked impressive but i could only imagine how much the quality would improve if the workers are allowed to do their tasks properly and with enough time to double check their work.
You know the old saying, "measure twice, cut once."

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #54

QC/design

Quote:
That's fine to say but how exactly do you "stand up for quality"? If you refuse to buy an RV with poor QC/design, you are essentially not going to be able to buy an RV. But step aside because there is somebody right behind you who will - i. e. Pretty much everyone here.
So put up with it because that's all there is? You stand up by calling out the dealer and contacting the company. I won't put up with inferior products and too bad others will.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #55

Old Coot, your trailer was made for England. You know that, right?

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wz3mo View Post
I could but then the license plate would partially cove the ref. exhaust that's on the other side. My guess is that's why they put it where they did.
That's not the exhaust unless you're putting it on the roof. It is an intake and it will not hurt anything. Plenty of room for air to get around it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Old Coot, your trailer was made for England. You know that, right?
Who cares? Certainly not me!

Where were the cars/trucks built with the license in the center and for what country?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Who cares? Certainly not me!

Where were the cars/trucks built with the license in the center and for what country?
Switzerland. Pretty much middle of the road folks. Very neutral.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Agreed. The license plate is normally on the driver's side.

Obviously it got past their QC inspection.
WHAT? I must of dozed off. When did FR hire a QC person?
gunn1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #60
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Agreed. The license plate is normally on the driver's side.

Obviously it got past their QC inspection.
Wouldn't it be nice if that was all their so-called QC missed? Unfortunately that's not the way it is.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote