Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #41
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Thanks, you old coot!
PS: Have a safe trip south!
You're welcome and give my AGD a big hug and a kiss!

Old 11-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #42
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The frame problems, if any, would not be found until after the units have been subjected to being towed and to get into the structure requires major disassembly of the trailer. It's just not as easy as you imply.
I'm not going to spend all of TG day on this subject,and I'm not an engineer, but I'm going to disagree here.

FR and others could have conducted stress analysis tests on these frames before building them - I'm not saying that a SA test would be helpful on an older frame,but it could be helpful in pre-production - I know that you have seen films of Boeing bending a pre-production airframe until it breaks for the purpose of determining what the ultimate load limits are.

As far as getting into the structure to test/inspect frames, that's what NDI is for - so you don't have to disassemble the component.

I just though about something similar to this problem - that being the king pin and surrounding area of the big trailers that are on the road everyday. You don't see or hear of many incidents (at least I haven't) where the king pin sheared off and I know that the semi drivers aren't too gentle when hooking up to these trailers. That area is subject to way more stress than our FW are in normal use.

Could FR have a frame that will never crack - of course not. But they could build a frame that doesn't crack at the life some of these frames are.

OC - I respect your engineering expertise and knowledge, I just look at this issue from a different view point and I don't always buy into the "safety costs money and our products would be too expensive if we build them better" argument.

Enjoy the day.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
...As far as getting into the structure to test/inspect frames, that's what NDI is for - so you don't have to disassemble the component...
You still have to disassemble to get to the structure. Have a nice Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #44
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Think of the $$$ they could save doing the simple things right the 1st time at the factory.
Im fine with the normal maintenance, its shape of things when it leaves the factory that has huge room for improvement.
I once saw a banner in a hangar that read " Why is there always time to do it over,but never time to do it right in the first place?"

I never forgot that and I think that message/question fits here.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I once saw a banner in a hangar that read " Why is there always time to do it over,but never time to do it right in the first place?"

I never forgot that and I think that message/question fits here.
DITTO!
Towing weights or rv qc threads always are interesting reads.
Have a happy turkey day to all!!
Carl
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One thing to remember, Forest River does not build frames. Lippert Components Inc. engineers, builds, tests, and does QC on the frames and their components, then delivers their product to FR assembly plants. I'm sure as an OEM supplier to many manufacturers, Lippert supplies FR engineers with full specifications and test results, when FR designs a new unit. For FR to re-test these frames would be a waste, if there is/was an issue, LCI would be the ones to up their inspections and testing, possibly at the request of Forest River. After all, LCI is already set up for it.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #47
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
One thing to remember, Forest River does not build frames. Lippert Components Inc. engineers, builds, tests, and does QC on the frames and their components, then delivers their product to FR assembly plants. I'm sure as an OEM supplier to many manufacturers, Lippert supplies FR engineers with full specifications and test results, when FR designs a new unit. For FR to re-test these frames would be a waste, if there is/was an issue, LCI would be the ones to up their inspections and testing, possibly at the request of Forest River. After all, LCI is already set up for it.
That's a good point.

Sometimes I wish I could put this old FAA inspectors hat in the closet, but I can't.

With the airlines, the FAA holds the "Certificate Holder" responsible for all aspects of its maintenance program (Certificate Holder being the airline). This includes the vendors,suppliers,etc. So if an airline contracts with a person to perform a certain maintenance function and that function isn't performed properly, the airline is responsible. An airline is required to provide the FAA with a list of its vendors so the FAA knows who they are and what they perform for the airline.

I'm not saying that FR should have such an elaborate system, but they should have more involvement with their suppliers, Lippert in this case, and take action to correct problems when they arise.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post

Think of the $$$ they could save doing the simple things right the 1st time at the factory.
Im fine with the normal maintenance, its shape of things when it leaves the factory that has huge room for improvement.
Considering this is my fifth trailer all my tailers, besides very minor issues, have been close to perfect. I think that is more then luck.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
Considering this is my fifth trailer all my tailers, besides very minor issues, have been close to perfect. I think that is more then luck.
Thats great Im happy for you.I must be buying the wrong ones I guess. Maybe I expect too much for 40k??
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #50

Here is something to think about. I been on this forum for about 2 years. I have only heard of one pin box failure on any FR product and that was on a used Wildcat 5 years old. Who know what happened before they got it. The second complaint was that you can not put an air glide pin box on a 8289WS because the framing is only 10" wide for the reese revolution. But maybe I missed some complaints, but then figure how many of us owners are on here. maybe 500 or so, I guess Barry can give us that figure. Their just isn't that many failures.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, frame, wheel