Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #1

Free bunk seals . . . not so free

I called forrest river to order the free bunk end seal kit, for our shamrock trailer.
they sent it out to us (we live in Canada) and when it arrived at the door there was a bill for $55.00 that I had to pay.
Forrest river had sent it by ups, and what they do is charge us $50 in brokerage fees for clearing it through canadian customs.
Had we known about this, we could have cleared it ourselves for no charge, or asked forrest river to send it by regular post office mail, which also has no brokerage fees involved.
Just a heads up to any other Canadians who might need to order the kit.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #2

The "UPS Rule" applies to just about anything that you purchase and/or have shipped from the U.S. to Canada. Here is my simple suggestion: Avoid UPS like the Plague !!!!! Whenever possible, use USPS/Canada Post parcel post service as quite often you will not even be assessed the dreaded GST. Fedex is also OK as they do not have the same exhorbitant fee structure as UPS. If you live close enough to the border you can use a Mailbox service in the nearest US town/city and import the item(s) yourself.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
If you live close enough to the border you can use a Mailbox service in the nearest US town/city and import the item(s) yourself.

...VTX-AL
Our friends in Kelowna, B.C. do this all the time. They have to order most of their Jeep accessories from the U.S. and have them delivered to a post office on the U.S. side then just drive down to get them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Grape Escape

You can blame Forest River for not filling in the proper forms for UPS. You would think their shipping department would know by now. Warrantee parts are not subject to duties, taxes or brokerage fees as long as proper shipping form is filled out.
I wonder if FR sends warr parts to dealers who would incure these same brokerage fees.
I went through same BS 4 x for a replacement tv monitor and refused delivery till them got it right.
My wife ordered a 6$ decal and final cost was 38$ due to FR not sending via US post
When we inquired as to shipping method FR refuses to ship US Post and allow UPS exclusive rights
I wonder if the guys in the shipping dept. get a kickback from UPS for this outrageous service??
UPS is a lot to blame as well as they must get lots of refused pkg deliveries to us in Canada.
So much for free trade..........
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote