Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Free standing dinette vs booth

Wife and I are looking ahead to our next travel trailer. We've narrowed it down to half a dozen models/floorplans that we want to check out in person. When I look at dealer inventory online, it seems all the dealers really like to order their stock units with a free standing dinette vs the booth. I get the 'residential' feel of the dinette, but no way would I want to give up the storage of the booth... am I missing something here?

all this means is I would need to order the unit I wanted and wait, which is not a problem, just wondering why the trend is so popular

oh yeah and thanks a lot ! I never even considered a fireplace until I read thru the thread on them, and now its a MUST HAVE... lol.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

It leaves a space in the floor plan that you can decide what to do to. You can remove the table and chairs and put what you want there also if you have a partner with a disability the booth can be something that they can't use. People without kids don't need the extra sleeping space and the storage space that's under the booth seats I can't get much in there anyway. In our case 2 chairs and a small table would be enough. We have the booth in ours but rarely use it we usually put 2 small tables in front of our recliners because my wife is disabled and can't use the booth. Our Booth table is removable so we usually use it as a place to eat outside.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

I think dealers order the booth dinette over the free standing table/chairs to offer buyers the option of sleeping more people. I slept on the dinette of our previous TT and it wasn't very comfortable, too short and the cushions didn't offer enough cush factor. IMHO the dinette chairs are more comfortable that the booth benches, the back of the booth benches are usually at a 90 degree angle to the seat. Plus you have the flexibility of using the free standing chairs elsewhere like if you have people over and it's raining outside. The seats of our chairs are hinged to offer a little storage.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

I now have the table & chairs set up.
I would not go back to a boot, and said earlier, it's just me and my wife, so the storage thing is not a big deal.
The comfort of the chairs over the booth is not comparable...backrest on a booth is giving me a sore back...I'm 6.2'
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #5

We also prefer the table/chairs set up

We took out two chairs and made room for our camping companion dog crate - our lab does not have run of the place when we are gone from home nor the camper for any length of time

He is only two so not trusted yet 😉
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #6

Being on our second trailer, we have now experienced both versions. We definitely prefer the freestanding vs the booth. As Heavynlori said, removing the 2 extra chairs, allows for other things. We bring our cat and we put the litter box there. It just works better for us. Jerry.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #7

Our second rig was first with table - first one had booth

It allowed us to remove the stupid short couch and put a full sized jacknife sofa in its place

You cannot do things like that when the booth is built in
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
ARLO

We very much prefer table And chairs with the atrium windows.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #9

I am going to be different and prefer a booth. The reason why I think there are fewer booths they cost more to build. I have seen a booth as an option for a additional cost. I like a booth because I think they are more comfortable and useful. This is my own personal opinion but I can see I am of the the few with this opinion.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #10

I preferred the booth in our TT because is was a place to install the central vac. system.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #11

We have many kids..so we prefer the U-shaped booth. If it were 4 or less...definitely would have table. I am considering a add on slide out bench to go under the cushions on the dinette so we have more TV watching room at night or bad weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #12

Done it both ways. Hated my dinette in one of my Tiffins' as it had no room between the table and the seat. First we had a narrower custom table built. Finally changed in to free standing but kept the booth so I could install if next owner desired it. Just bought a 29DS Class A Mirada and it has a booth dinette. We are keeping this one as the room between seating and the table is awesome.
My only complaint is that you can't see the mid-ships TV from one side. Looking into a strategic mirror location.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry01 View Post
Being on our second trailer, we have now experienced both versions. We definitely prefer the freestanding vs the booth. As Heavynlori said, removing the 2 extra chairs, allows for other things. We bring our cat and we put the litter box there. It just works better for us. Jerry.
Maybe I missed something here.

To each his own and this may work for you but....
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #14
(Dry Huunday)

Prefer the table & chairs! A lot more versatile!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I am going to be different and prefer a booth. The reason why I think there are fewer booths they cost more to build. I have seen a booth as an option for a additional cost. I like a booth because I think they are more comfortable and useful. This is my own personal opinion but I can see I am of the the few with this opinion.
We are the same like the booth alot better. The number one problem is storage and booths give you a little more of it. Of course we live in our M/H 6 mos. a year.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #16

I like the free standing it give us more room
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #17

We love the table and chairs setup. Have owned a lot of RVs but our Flagstsaff 27 is the first w/ this. I took out two chairs and put a Lazy Boy recliner in. NICE!
BIG LACY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
Luckybreak

Wink Neither booth nor table

We purchased a preowned 17' trailer which had the dinette (booth) removed. In its place was a counter with a preformed butcherblock pattern...2 rolling office style chairs to sit at the counter...we loved it! So when we purchased a preowned F.R.Flagstaff this year, we tore out the booth & installed the same style countertop (6') long--used a narrow plank flooring for the finish, & put the same flooring over the original vinyl floor. It looks great!! Now, if we could just get our house sold, we plan to be fulltimers!!
Luckybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #19

I prefer the booth because we feel the extra storage is a big bonus, we also prefer not to have to secure the table and chairs before moving.
Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #20

Smile How to fit in a Lazy-boy?

Big Lacey

We have a 27rlws also. I am intrigued as to how you fit a Lazy-boy in the dinette area. Do you have any pics??

Thanks
Randy
Randy and Diane is offline   Reply With Quote