Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Freedom Express 246 RKS; an update

In a post here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wdh-87810.html, I posted that I would do an updated post about the Freedom Express 246 RKS. While it has been a little slow coming, here it is.

Overall, I am still happy with the TT and the dealer. Like many others, I've gone from tent to popup to hybred to TT. This was the first "new off the lot" camper for me and nothing beats that new camper smell. Well, others may call it chemicals coming out of the furnishings, but I call it new camper smell

Straight off the lot and with placing personal items onboard, I didn't really see the need for any modifications (except mattress)and had a few trips under my belt before I did any. I did minor things like adding a Maxxair cover, 4" memory foam mattress topper, battery switch and upgrading the shower head. I considered these things as nice to have, not required. Well, except for the mattress topper. Those OEM things are not conducive to a good nights sleep. More mods? Maybe. Probably because we all like to dub around our campers.

So, here is my take on many of the topics we see come up in threads repeatedly.

* As mentioned in a previous post, the TV antennae, which is fixed in place, has terrible reception/range. Yes, the boost was on. While its not an issue for me, it really is inadequate.

* Quality control. This topic relative to RV's has been discussed, beat to death and has experienced more lives than a cat's 9 lives. Yeah, its not good. But for the most part, we know that going in. There were a few minor things that the dealer took care of quickly and without question. In fact, some were completed as I waited, standing with the service manager who explained a lot of generalized things, as the technician did the work. What were they? Microwave door wouldn't open consistently, complete replacement quickly. Inside trim around door was buckling due to being too long, so trimmed and reattached. That's it. Pretty minor I think. The other QC thing would be the dust storm that comes out of the AC ductwork the first time it is turned on.

* What don't I like? I wish the blackwater and graywater were a little higher off the ground. I'd also like a black tank flush. I know that can be installed, for me the better solution was a Flush King, which I like. And I'd prefer recliners over a couch. They're more comfortable and besides, I'm not inviting anyone to stay over with us. And....its a reason to upgrade.

I went to visit her at storage a couple of weeks ago...she still has the new camper smell. Mostly because we don't cook anything that smells obnoxious and we don't smoke. Also careful about campfire smoke drifting in.

Like many in the Northeast, while our winter has been unusually mild, I am itching to get the camper in the backyard and start tinkering.

To sum it up....would I buy another FR product. Yes I would. Wish everyone here on the forum a great camping season.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom express