Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Freezing temps?

We bought a new Rockwood 2304s mini lite. It has a sealed bottoms and heated tanks. We are getting ready for a 2 week trip through the Nevada desert and noticed some of the weather forecast are gonna be in the mid 20's. At what outside temperature should I be concerned about interior trailer pipes etc freezing? I plan to disconnect any outside hoses at night. Thanks, Gary
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

Water freezes at (32F) it will be your call? Low point drains sticking threw the bottom will freeze,outside shower will freeze, water supply line from F/W tank to pump will freeze! Your call at that Temp! Good Luck! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

The low point drains can freeze up into the underbelly and thus block water flow. Better to open a faucet to drip to prevent it from happening. Open both hot & cold water faucets as well as the grey & galley holding tanks.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

We and our friends camp in mid-20's weather all winter. Sometimes in the teens. We turn on the heat in our campers and nothing freezes. Not the low-point drains, not the FW supply line and not the outside shower. We have never had anything freeze other than the outside hose, and your idea of unhooking and draining it is correct.

If you have temps in the mid-20's - and no higher - for a week, you may have problems, but it sounds like you're looking at overnight lows. Get some more opinions before you worry too much about your trip.

Your camper will not freeze solid the instant the thermometer hits 32 degrees.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
We bought a new Rockwood 2304s mini lite. It has a sealed bottoms and heated tanks. We are getting ready for a 2 week trip through the Nevada desert and noticed some of the weather forecast are gonna be in the mid 20's. At what outside temperature should I be concerned about interior trailer pipes etc freezing? I plan to disconnect any outside hoses at night. Thanks, Gary
If the temp won't get above 32 then insulate them. Once they start to freeze it will just keep on moving up. I had that problem the plex expanded and at the 90 degree fitting I had a leak that filled my underbelly. Since then I added to valves inside on the low points to keep the water out.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info. The day temps are supposed to be around 50 and lows at night mid 20s. I'm gonna wrap a couple of exposed pipes under the trailer with heat tape and foam. Will do the same with water pump etc. in storage area. That way in the future I will not have to worry about such things. Thanks for the replies.
Bump is offline   Reply With Quote