Old 06-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Just a note about using surgical gloves: They defeat the purpose if you don't know the proper way to remove them from your hands. There's a wrong way and a right way. If you don't know, ask a nurse to demonstrate.
No thanks......

I associate those gloves with a certain uncomfortable and awkward procedure. Funny how it never was an issue until I seen Jack Elam play a doctor in one of those Smokey and the bandit movies. Ever since I have had Elamphobia....fear of surgical gloves.

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

Its not like the bacteria can crawl out of your slinky and walk on over and jump into your water hose......

It hurts. It hurts....laughing too hard.

Croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
It would be nice if they were further apart. house has all the plumbing close together.

and I wash my hands.
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #14
Get a spray bottle and make a water bleach mixture. Before you do any freshwater connections spray the fresh water faucet and handle with the mixture. Just remember, the last guy there may have finished his black tank bidness then without washing his hands disconnected his freshwater.... Hmmmm...
2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #15
Maybe I made my concern sound a little stronger than I really worry about this. I just think about it when I'm sitting with my coffee looking at backside of next camper and see the white hose draped over sewer lines. Just funny after reading threads on here about 10 step processes for dumping, procedures to maintain hose such as putting ends together when not in use...etc...etc... Don't worry...I'm not that weird guy who sometimes camps next to you. Well...I might be but not for this reason.
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #16
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It would be nice if they were further apart. house has all the plumbing close together.

and I wash my hands.
By International Plumbing Code all sewer lines and potable water lines shall be 12 inches apart and 12 inches above or below each other
Boohiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
Does that happen in the real world..NO but that is the code.
There really isn't much to worry about as long as sanitary procedures are used
Boohiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #18
I fully understand the concern voiced about the potential for cross contamination between sewer and fresh water hoses. However, a well thought-out and practiced standard procedure should remove any potential for contamination. We keep all fresh water hoses and fittings in a separate container from the sewer hose and fittings. When we arrive at site, we hook up and test the fresh water connection before even touching the sewer hose container. We often never even connect the sewer hose until we are ready to break camp at the end of our stay. Before we do so, we disconnect, flush, and stow the fresh water hose and fittings in their own container. We then don vinyl gloves before handling the sewer hose and fittings, hook it up, and then connect a separate fresh water hose to use to activate the on-board flushing attachment in the black water tank. We dump the black waste water first, then watch through a transparent fitting until the outflow from the black water tank shows clear. We shut off the flushing hose, wait until there is almost no more water flow, then open the drain valves from the grey water tank(s) until they are empty. We shut all drain valves, disconnect the sewer hose and flush with fresh water from the separate flushing hose, then drain as best we can before stowing back into their separate containers. Finally, discard the vinyl gloves, wash our hands, and wave goodbye.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
Originally Posted by srderby View Post
Has anyone else wondered why the sewer and water intake are so close? It always bothers me to have my white hose so close to the sewer hose. I try to keep it off the ground and as far away as I can but...always too close. Though I'm meticulous with me flushing and dumping I'm sure that over time there have been spills in the area. Am I too bothered by this? Anyone have any tips?
Intake? You have a sewer INTAKE?

Don't worry about it - you are fine. Put your FWH and filters in and your sewer dump where it is. Just keep everything clean with wipes and you are fine!
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #20
I find it funny reading these threads. I dump my tanks with no gloves, using the cheap freebie slinky. Black/ Grey then Galley Grey. Oh yes this is after camping for week on all tanks in the summer!

I do not get my hands dirty at all.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote

fresh water, water