Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Fresh water next to sewer?

Has anyone else wondered why the sewer and water intake are so close? It always bothers me to have my white hose so close to the sewer hose. I try to keep it off the ground and as far away as I can but...always too close. Though I'm meticulous with me flushing and dumping I'm sure that over time there have been spills in the area. Am I too bothered by this? Anyone have any tips?
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Bothers me more having my peas touching my carrots. Don't worry be
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

If you're that worried about it maybe you should avoid carrots? Or full hook up sites?

They're that way because when they put in the underground they could dig one trench for both water and sewer line as opposed to two. Its not like the bacteria can crawl out of your slinky and walk on over and jump into your water hose......
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
If you're that worried about it maybe you should avoid carrots? Or full hook up sites?

They're that way because when they put in the underground they could dig one trench for both water and sewer line as opposed to two. Its not like the bacteria can crawl out of your slinky and walk on over and jump into your water hose......
Sounded like the OP was asking about having hookups on the ground where a possible spill might have occurred not interchange while connected. If the OP is concerned a spray of bleach could ease the mind.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

When putting the hoses away wear disposable rubber gloves.

Mix water and bleach in a bottle and spray down the hoses as you are putting them away.

One option is to use vinyl rain gutter to make a rack for the hose to rest in and off the ground.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Everybody has their phobias. So you need to do what makes you feel better. Is there a real danger if your hoses touch or lay on the ground? Probably not.. but you never know

I have a friend who suits up like he is going on a space walk before he touches anything to do with the sewer hose. Then he strips off the gloves and apron to work with their fresh water hose/connections. I asked him later if he thought any fecal matter might have transferred from his glove removal process to his unwashed hands to the fresh water hoses. I had to stop when he started having convulsions.

I was raised on a farm with lots of animals and am used to the associated clean ups. So I try to use common sense when messing with the fresh/sewer connections. I keep the hoses in separate storages. I connect fresh water first and clean the ends/connections with clorox when necessary. After dealing with the black tank I wash my hands. I think gloves and too much clorox can cause just as many problems as not using gloves and not washing your hands.

So do what you think is best for your thinking, just use common sense and don't get too crazy about it

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Figure out a procedure that makes you feel good. the chances of something transferring from the outside to inside of your water hose are nil. clean the ends of the hose bib and hour hose and your city water and enjoy. To answer your question no I don't have a problem with placement
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #8

I never had a phobia till I read this thread , lol....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
I never had a phobia till I read this thread , lol....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Careful......don't get Phobiaphobia.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #10

Just a note about using surgical gloves: They defeat the purpose if you don't know the proper way to remove them from your hands. There's a wrong way and a right way. If you don't know, ask a nurse to demonstrate.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Just a note about using surgical gloves: They defeat the purpose if you don't know the proper way to remove them from your hands. There's a wrong way and a right way. If you don't know, ask a nurse to demonstrate.
No thanks......

I associate those gloves with a certain uncomfortable and awkward procedure. Funny how it never was an issue until I seen Jack Elam play a doctor in one of those Smokey and the bandit movies. Ever since I have had Elamphobia....fear of surgical gloves.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

Its not like the bacteria can crawl out of your slinky and walk on over and jump into your water hose......

It hurts. It hurts....laughing too hard.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #13

It would be nice if they were further apart.

But..........my house has all the plumbing close together.

and I wash my hands.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #14

Get a spray bottle and make a water bleach mixture. Before you do any freshwater connections spray the fresh water faucet and handle with the mixture. Just remember, the last guy there may have finished his black tank bidness then without washing his hands disconnected his freshwater.... Hmmmm...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #15

Maybe I made my concern sound a little stronger than I really worry about this. I just think about it when I'm sitting with my coffee looking at backside of next camper and see the white hose draped over sewer lines. Just funny after reading threads on here about 10 step processes for dumping, procedures to maintain hose such as putting ends together when not in use...etc...etc... Don't worry...I'm not that weird guy who sometimes camps next to you. Well...I might be but not for this reason.
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It would be nice if they were further apart.

But..........my house has all the plumbing close together.

and I wash my hands.
By International Plumbing Code all sewer lines and potable water lines shall be 12 inches apart and 12 inches above or below each other
Boohiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #17

Does that happen in the real world..NO but that is the code.
There really isn't much to worry about as long as sanitary procedures are used
Boohiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #18

I fully understand the concern voiced about the potential for cross contamination between sewer and fresh water hoses. However, a well thought-out and practiced standard procedure should remove any potential for contamination. We keep all fresh water hoses and fittings in a separate container from the sewer hose and fittings. When we arrive at site, we hook up and test the fresh water connection before even touching the sewer hose container. We often never even connect the sewer hose until we are ready to break camp at the end of our stay. Before we do so, we disconnect, flush, and stow the fresh water hose and fittings in their own container. We then don vinyl gloves before handling the sewer hose and fittings, hook it up, and then connect a separate fresh water hose to use to activate the on-board flushing attachment in the black water tank. We dump the black waste water first, then watch through a transparent fitting until the outflow from the black water tank shows clear. We shut off the flushing hose, wait until there is almost no more water flow, then open the drain valves from the grey water tank(s) until they are empty. We shut all drain valves, disconnect the sewer hose and flush with fresh water from the separate flushing hose, then drain as best we can before stowing back into their separate containers. Finally, discard the vinyl gloves, wash our hands, and wave goodbye.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by srderby View Post
Has anyone else wondered why the sewer and water intake are so close? It always bothers me to have my white hose so close to the sewer hose. I try to keep it off the ground and as far away as I can but...always too close. Though I'm meticulous with me flushing and dumping I'm sure that over time there have been spills in the area. Am I too bothered by this? Anyone have any tips?
Intake? You have a sewer INTAKE?

Don't worry about it - you are fine. Put your FWH and filters in and your sewer dump where it is. Just keep everything clean with wipes and you are fine!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I find it funny reading these threads. I dump my tanks with no gloves, using the cheap freebie slinky. Black/ Grey then Galley Grey. Oh yes this is after camping for week on all tanks in the summer!

I do not get my hands dirty at all.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water