Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

Angry Fresh Water Tank Support Buckling

Well... after noticing that the fresh water storage tank support brackets were buckling, we paid a welder $$$ to add and beef-up the support brackets. I can hardly believe that Forest River would put such thin-gauge support brackets beneath a 38 gallon tank(that is approximately 325 Lbs. of water when full), but they were buckling (bowed) after only filling 3/4 full and travelling for 50 miles (on paved road). I have read on this forum about serious problems and concerns regarding this matter. Even seen some pictures of a tank laying on the road! Didn't want to be bothered with warranty after considering the time/ miles / & trouble that would be involved in trying to get Forest River to fix it. I'm sure they would have replaced the brackets, but I'm also sure they would not have improved them. Guess people have to die before they will resolve this on-going problem of which I'm sure they are aware of.
I have read that some people have never had any problem with this, but there are exceptions. I realize that Forest River is trying to keep things Lite, but IT'S ALSO ALL ABOUT SAFETY FOREST RIVER!!!! GET IT TOGETHER!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Kay View Post
Well... after noticing that the fresh water storage tank support brackets were buckling, we paid a welder $$$ to add and beef-up the support brackets. I can hardly believe that Forest River would put such thin-gauge support brackets beneath a 38 gallon tank(that is approximately 325 Lbs. of water when full), but they were buckling (bowed) after only filling 3/4 full and travelling for 50 miles (on paved road). I have read on this forum about serious problems and concerns regarding this matter. Even seen some pictures of a tank laying on the road! Didn't want to be bothered with warranty after considering the time/ miles / & trouble that would be involved in trying to get Forest River to fix it. I'm sure they would have replaced the brackets, but I'm also sure they would not have improved them. Guess people have to die before they will resolve this on-going problem of which I'm sure they are aware of.
I have read that some people have never had any problem with this, but there are exceptions. I realize that Forest River is trying to keep things Lite, but IT'S ALSO ALL ABOUT SAFETY FOREST RIVER!!!! GET IT TOGETHER!!!
You should consider passing this information and "suggestion" to Forest River since, as it says on the disclaimer at the bottom of the page "ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions."

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Thanks Mr. Dan, I am aware of that. Just Say'n.....
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

All manufacturers do not recommend traveling with liquid in the tanks.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

How do they expect you to get water to a campsite? If there is city water already there, you don't need a water tank. But if boondocking...gee don't they know how a TT is used?
bhauskne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
Please post where it informs you of that in one of the Forest River manuals, or post up a picture of a warning sticker on a Forest River trailer stating that. I won't be holding my breath. The only place I have heard of that requirement is when an owner had a tank support issue and was told that in a phone call or email from some FR rep. It's a load of bull. Travel trailers that can not be used to travel. That is unless you want to do so without water. What a great idea that is.

As far as all manufacturers I have never seen such a statement anywhere regarding other brands we have owned but perhaps it was not needed as their water tanks did not attempt to remove themselves.

OP......its a common issue and if based on all the posts I have read about it, Forest River is well aware it's a problem and so is LCI who makes the frame and supports in most cases. FR typically dumps it off on LCI under the frame warranty. Trying to get something from LCI is an exercise is red tape, frustration, and waiting. How many people with enclosed under bellies have the issue and don't know It?

My tank supports deflected on the way home from the dealer after the PDI. Rockwood referred me to LCI, who proceeded to make excuses and started delay tactics. They are both well aware but choose to keep using the junk as mine failed last April. I have attended 3 RV shows since Jan. and have looked under a lot of units at them. They still use the supports that fail.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #7

Another example of the crappy American RV industry.
gloryracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #8

Defective Tank Design!

Quote:
First, Few read prior posts - even one 2 down on today's list. I just posted this reply to the same problem.

Garbage - That's like saying don't fill up your gas tank. I fixed mine on a 25Micro lite. From previous post on this subject.

FYI for all, defective Tank Design!!!!

MY PDI dealer left the fresh water tank apx 1/2 full. 20-25 gallons (8.35 x 20 = 167 pounds) of the supposed 43 gallon (359#s) tank. From the pictures you can see that my fresh water tank supports collapsed and the plastic tank "oozes" through.

The tank is designed with 2 lateral (front and rear edge of tank) and 2 fore and aft (apx mid tank) 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron supports. The fwd support is welded in and the rear is bolted in. The 2 fore and aft supports "slide" into a slot.

I contacted FR and they were 100% cooperative as they seemed to expect calls on this design issue. It seemed to me that the designers did not think anyone fills their tanks completely. FR offered to send me new replacement support parts, but the defect problem would just repeat itself!

I offered to R&R, Redesign and Install a proper solution. I cut out the collapsed fwd support and removed the tank. I installed Q2 - 4"x3"x1/4" aluminum T bar fwd and aft lateral supports and Q5 2"x2"x1/4" fore & aft tank supports. This eliminated all "oozing" and 100% supports the filled tank weight. It is also SS bolted vs welded it in allowing for future tank servicing and/or replacement. This solution only added a net of 20 pounds to the TT original supports. I could have eliminated some additional weight with "circles", but not necessary.

Additional Items:

• The water hoses have TOO few clamps and WILL pull out from the floor. Mine did. I installed additional hose clamps and Tie Wraps too.
  • The waste tanks have this same design defect too. They do not even have fore & aft supports. Some Good news, they only have a 28 vs 43 gallon capacity. I will NOT exceed 10-15 Gallons when ever possible before dumping!!!! I will not drive with anything over 5-10 gallons.
  • My R&R Design eliminates hose up and down nearly eliminating vacuum problems, but the tank is still only capable of being filled to apx 38 vs 43 gallons.
Attached Thumbnails

270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #9

NHTSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory rcing View Post
Another example of the crappy American RV industry.

There are enough of these that someone should mention it to NHTSA!

Stay tuned. I am building a dedicated web page with upgrades and PDI items to watch for. I'll post a link to it when I am finished.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

While I would hate to lose the storage space I am tempted to move the fresh water tank to under the sofa. I think 40 gallons would fit there and it would be sitting solidly on the floor. This is how it was done in all of my old trailers.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #11

bent Fresh water support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
First, Few read prior posts - even one 2 down on today's list. I just posted this reply to the same problem.

Garbage - That's like saying don't fill up your gas tank. I fixed mine on a 25Micro lite. From previous post on this subject.

FYI for all, defective Tank Design!!!!

MY PDI dealer left the fresh water tank apx 1/2 full. 20-25 gallons (8.35 x 20 = 167 pounds) of the supposed 43 gallon (359#s) tank. From the pictures you can see that my fresh water tank supports collapsed and the plastic tank "oozes" through.

The tank is designed with 2 lateral (front and rear edge of tank) and 2 fore and aft (apx mid tank) 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" angle iron supports. The fwd support is welded in and the rear is bolted in. The 2 fore and aft supports "slide" into a slot.

I contacted FR and they were 100% cooperative as they seemed to expect calls on this design issue. It seemed to me that the designers did not think anyone fills their tanks completely. FR offered to send me new replacement support parts, but the defect problem would just repeat itself!

I offered to R&R, Redesign and Install a proper solution. I cut out the collapsed fwd support and removed the tank. I installed Q2 - 4"x3"x1/4" aluminum T bar fwd and aft lateral supports and Q5 2"x2"x1/4" fore & aft tank supports. This eliminated all "oozing" and 100% supports the filled tank weight. It is also SS bolted vs welded it in allowing for future tank servicing and/or replacement. This solution only added a net of 20 pounds to the TT original supports. I could have eliminated some additional weight with "circles", but not necessary.

Additional Items:

• The water hoses have TOO few clamps and WILL pull out from the floor. Mine did. I installed additional hose clamps and Tie Wraps too.
  • The waste tanks have this same design defect too. They do not even have fore & aft supports. Some Good news, they only have a 28 vs 43 gallon capacity. I will NOT exceed 10-15 Gallons when ever possible before dumping!!!! I will not drive with anything over 5-10 gallons.
  • My R&R Design eliminates hose up and down nearly eliminating vacuum problems, but the tank is still only capable of being filled to apx 38 vs 43 gallons.
Attached Thumbnails

My MINI 2104S bent in the same place, after reading comments on this forum, I hired a welder to reinforce the brackets, $300 later solid, safe brackets.

2017 Windjammer 3029W
2016 F150 Eco Boost
McKinney TX
Tbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
No where in anything I received from Keystone states that about my Cougar 5er. I have never seen a single post on the Keystone thread of a water tank hitting the road or finding bent supports. More than 18,000 miles and mostly with a full water tank, no problem. Point ~~~ NOT all
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbates View Post
My MINI 2104S bent in the same place, after reading comments on this forum, I hired a welder to reinforce the brackets, $300 later solid, safe brackets.
Your guy did a great job. Probably overkill but you never need to think about the FW tank again.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #14

In my opinion, the improper venting from the factory contributes to the tank bulging and bracket bending. Adding that force of the tank pushing against the floor to the weight of the water is just too much for the brackets. A good bump in the road and the FW tank is disposited on the highway. Maybe a conflict between FR and LCI as to fault?
Old 04-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthere View Post
In my opinion, the improper venting from the factory contributes to the tank bulging and bracket bending. Adding that force of the tank pushing against the floor to the weight of the water is just too much for the brackets. A good bump in the road and the FW tank is disposited on the highway. Maybe a conflict between FR and LCI as to fault?
In my case the angle support was not heavy enough and it had a weak spot built in.
you can see in the above middle picture, this is the same place mine failed, the only time I had water in tank was on the drive home from the dealer.

The angle doesn't need the additional slot cut out, weakens the support.
I added heavier angle iron over the existing.

2017 Windjammer 3029W
2016 F150 Eco Boost
McKinney TX
Old 04-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #16

Quote:
In my case the angle support was not heavy enough and it had a weak spot built in.
you can see in the above middle picture, this is the same place mine failed, the only time I had water in tank was on the drive home from the dealer.

Those LCI angles are not even true angles. They are mild steel 11 gauge bent sheet.

I replaced mine with 1-3/4 x 1-3/4 x 3/16 rolled angle. It's amazing what 5 extra pounds of steel that's worth about 5 bucks can do when it comes to keeping a plastic tank where it belongs.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #17

Agreed

2017 Windjammer 3029W
2016 F150 Eco Boost
McKinney TX
Old 04-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #18

Welder not needed

Quote:
I cut out the original "brackets" and then bolted in the aluminum no welding necessary - However instead of buying 4" T bar, I did weld up 1/4" aluminum plate stock, but it can be purchased instead. I did purchase the 2" T bar stock.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #19

Quote:

Mines a little different, it has 3 welded tabs per angle iron but only two had support straps bolted to them, thought it strange the center one was missing (Friday build maybe, not good to have weight concentrated in the center of the iron). I added a Simpson Tie strap to that center tab though.

When having trouble filling the tank (due to venting) I notice the bloat of the tank, not a severe as the picture, but it hangs within a 1/2 " of the axle. So what happen when a large bump is hit and the axle rises up and hits the tank? Not seen it yet thankfully.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #20

I recently posted a thread showing the angle iron brace that I fabricated for our Wildwood XLITE 171RBXL. A search on my name will bring it up. Just remember there are many styles of trailers so your tank support may be different than those shown above. But this is a common issue with many models.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank