Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #41

I Grew Up On The Border

It is not the same as when I was a kid.

NO! Absolutely do not go across that bridge. Look up McAllen, Texas, and Laredo up the river and I've lived in both places. We had a lake front place looking out on Falcon Lake at Zapata and sold it before the couple were attacked by drug folks on the Mexican side.

See the USA in your whatever A and stay where you have rights.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #42
Site Team

Sorry, but I haven't lost anything in Mexico and have no desire to see it. Y'all have fun tho. 😇

dcheatwood is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #43

Live in AZ and have been to different parts of Mexico years ago. My job does not allow me to go there these days due to the warnings put out by State Dept. I prefer to spend my money here in the States.
lludvig is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 08:34 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
It is not the same as when I was a kid.

NO! Absolutely do not go across that bridge. Look up McAllen, Texas, and Laredo up the river and I've lived in both places. We had a lake front place looking out on Falcon Lake at Zapata and sold it before the couple were attacked by drug folks on the Mexican side.

See the USA in your whatever A and stay where you have rights.
We just left Pharr, TX where my sister has resided for the last 20 years. She, too, strongly advised us not to cross the border. Maybe it's different crossing in CA; however, we won't be doing it!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #45

Would not do it, stay in the good old USofA and be safe
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Actually I'm flying down to Mexico on Saturday to spend a week at a resort on the Yucatan Peninsula. I will be celebrating my 70th birthday at an all-inclusive resort. YEA!
IMHO, This is the way to visit Mexico. Would we take the 5er across the border? Emphatic NO!

We lived in Las Cruces NM for 15+ years and "back in the day" (1990's) going across the border was common. Took my wife's parents, our kids, and friends who visited over all the time. It was great, folks were friendly, exchange rate was great, and crossing the border (both ways) was a mere formality.

Skip to 1999-ish. Drug cartels were on the rise and some high schoolers who went to Ciudad Juárez on a high school prom night were molested and one kid was shot. That's when it started turning ugly. Skip to 2001 - Sept to be exact, Sept 11th to be precise and the border world completely changed. Going across the border in El Paso for pleasure was simply NOT recommended by the Border Patrol (we lived next door to a USCBP Major).

When we moved to AL in 2004, the border was so bad that USCBP were having armed confrontations - in some cases actual shootouts - with Mexican bad guys. We still have friends in Las Cruces and El Paso and have visited the area recently and if anything it has gotten worse. 50+ year old restaurants along the Rio Grande ("The Border") have been forced to close because of gang incursions (The Rio is not so deep in places and it is very easy to cross). All you need to do is Google "Juarez Valley" and you will see what I mean.

So is it similar at other border crossings? The 3 in New Mexico are all "NOGO" according to our USCBP friends as are the Nogalas, Naco, and San Luis crossings in AZ. Same for Laredo & Brownsville in TX. As for CA, I do not have current info, but I have been told Tijuana is getting as bad as Juárez.

The issues, unfortunately are not the cool resorts in Mexico that folks travel to, it is the mode in which you get there. We would (and have) visited La Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Cozumel and Cabo San Lucas, but we would fly to get there. Once in the resort "Compound" (yep those friendly guys strolling the grounds are *armed*) you will have a fabulous all-expenses covered time at the resort. Site seeing trips off-compound should be booked with the resort and yes, your friendly driver is armed as well
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #47

Hey BAMABOB, most border towns reminded me of downtown Phan Rang, South Vietnam. Went off PRAB one time to meet Army Liason and ARVN folks I work with to secure the air base. Never wanted to go back as it was just like Reynosa, Mex.

More so now as folks are packing here just like Vietnam.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
Hey BAMABOB, most border towns reminded me of downtown Phan Rang, South Vietnam. Went off PRAB one time to meet Army Liason and ARVN folks I work with to secure the air base. Never wanted to go back as it was just like Reynosa, Mex.

More so now as folks are packing here just like Vietnam.
LOL Charles! I had not thought about it like that...but you're right! Just like downtown Pleiku on a Friday night
Old 09-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #49
RV Vagabond Jerry

Please keep in mind folks, we are not talking about border towns. San Felipe is a small beach resort town whose economy is reliant on vacationers and the huge retirement community there. Probably the biggest danger there is someone talking you into buying a timeshare.
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #50

No way will I ever cross into Mexico. I worked in Law Enforcement for 30 years 5 attached to a DEA task force...Mexico is not my idea of a safe to go...too many nice areas in the States... That's why they risk their lives getting here!
caburn is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #51

The last and only time I drove into Mexico was an accident that cost us $600 while a gun was pointed at us by the border town police. A buddy of mine was trying to show us a place to park in the U.S. to walk into Mexico and he screwed up big time! We ended up on a road that was under construction and had no choice but to cross. We went in and found the first driveway to the left to turn around and go back out and were pulled over within 30 seconds. Never again! We were in a junky Jeep Cherokee. Couldn't imagine the shake down with an RV.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #52

Automobile accidents in Mexico are considered Criminal, not a Tort/Civil legal system issue. The standard personal lines auto policy specifically excludes Mexico. They may sell you an endorsement, but it is not worth the paper it is written on, they simply don’t want the exposure. You would need to buy a specialty policy for your tow vehicle and another for your trailer.
lgray is offline   Reply
Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
Please keep in mind folks, we are not talking about border towns. San Felipe is a small beach resort town whose economy is reliant on vacationers and the huge retirement community there. Probably the biggest danger there is someone talking you into buying a timeshare.

How do you get to that beach resort? That might be the issue here. Fly into Cancun stay in the American motels & hotels. No issue. Drive across the bridge into Old Town Cancun-- Now that another story.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
Fully understand but it is the "getting there" issue that worries me. No way would I evr consider driving there from the USA
Old 09-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #55
Site Team

Ok, this one seems to have run it's course. The OP should be able to judge for himself by now from the amount of responses if his idea is going to be feasible.

The site team has had to clean it up again, and can't keep babysitting it. We're going to close it now for the sake of forum harmony. Let's please direct our energies to other topics and helping fellow members.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
frog