Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Front hitch receiver for push parking

Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 Ford F150 FX4 and a FR Work-and-Play toyhauler. I need to maneuver this TT into some tight spots, etc., and want to find the right front end receiver hitch for my F150 so I can just push it. I will also use the hitch for the occasional portable winch recovery, etc. The only 2 receivers I could find both have tongue weight limits of 500 lbs. I'd like to have the TW capacity on the hitch be around 1000 lbs. I'm not going far, less than 100 yards, but uphill thru grass. I understand I could try to just back it up but I would rather push it - my wife will be the first to tell you I have no particular useful marketable skills or coordination either; which I disagree with as no one has EVER stolen a couch while I was laying on it. Anyway, I'd rather just push it.

Does anyone have any ideas for a stout front end hitch or know of someone who makes one or ??? Or, will 500 lbs. be ok for the short distance I'll be going?

Thank you - much appreciated.
ddigger62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

never heard of anyone wanting to 'push' a trailer, since pushing it might actually be much harder than backing it...

remember this - your front wheels on your truck turn, and if you don't keep them absolutely and totally straight while you are 'pushing', then the trailer will quite easily and quickly 'get out of wack', and so then, how would you 'correct' that? By backing up, of course.
when you are 'backing' a trailer, your front 'turning' wheels are at the opposite end of the equation, not right in front of the trailer's hitch, so you have more 'maneuverability' and an easier method to control the 'movement' of the trailer.

Folks have backing trailers and campers since the start of time, practically, so doing it this way has certainly proven to be the 'choice' of how to do it.

I think you are spending a lot of time and money and effort for something that might just prove to be harder than if you just practiced backing to get a better hang of it before you ever start this process. : ) You can do it!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

also, if you do decide to proceed with your current idea, then I wouldn't be worried about the 'hitch weight rating', etc., since you are not on the road and you're only using this method for a very slow speed and short distance.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #4

Years ago I put one on my explorer work great for me I think I went to a trailer shop and they fixed me up. I was terrible at backing up my travel trailer. LOL
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
Brake is on left

Front hitches are popular at the marina for sure. Never used one on a TT though. Seems like field of view may be significantly limited. Boats are easier to see around. 500 is going to be tops I believe. The model for my Super Duty is 500 pounds also. Personally, I would not go twice the rated weight.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #6

I have used a front hitch years ago, first on a boat then on a Dutchmen 24 ft. TT. I didn't go as far as you will be going. It worked fine and was very easy to maneuver. I had a friend that was a welder and he installed it for me. I think any good welding shop could fix one for you.
Old Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

Front receiver

I don’t know why anyone would think it doesn’t work good other than no experience at trying it. I have been moving trailers around different places that backing wasn’t practical for 50+ years that way. I have used my tractor and forklift also. I have several trailers including 2 tilt-beds, 26’ deck-over, cargo and a dump trailer.
On my personal truck I use the one built in to my Buckstop bumper. On other trucks I have made my own and some for customers. If you have a wireless backup camera then you have got it made.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Farmers have been pushing trailers and 4-wheel wagons into tight places for years. You can actually see things get out of alignment a lot quicker and having the steer wheels at the hitch takes less corrective movements of the steering wheel. I have used a cub cadet with a front hitch to push large trailers into position in storage sheds lots of times.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #9

Just a suggestion ... Unknown if this idea would work, especially where you say you need to go uphill in grass. Check out an Electric RV Trailer Dolly.

I have no idea of the power it has. I have never used one.
IMHO - Added expense not needed. Good experience, as others stated, back it up.

Good Luck!
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

I have had a front hitch on my Toyota Sequoia for years. As long as I could see around the trailer I was fine.
Remember, your mirrors stick out further than the winshiled pillar.
I was OK pushing my 5 foot wide and 6 foot wide cargo trailers. The 8 foot wide TT is a no-go, unless there is a spotter (wife) with a walkie-talkie.
I would not worry about the tonguw weight in your yard. Uphill on grass will require 4wd. Same rule applies, bottom of steering wheel in same direction as you want trailer to go.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #11

Front Hitch Evangelist

I have used front hitches for 13 years and am a great believer. Because you are steering right at the hitch, tight maneuvers (such as when you must immediately cut the trailer over toward the wall after clearing a barn door) are a snap. You can see both sides of the trailer easily. They are also a GREAT place to carry bicycles as the bikes are always in view. Stuck? A front hitch makes a stout place to attach a tow strap. Any trailer shop or most U-Hauls have front hitches for common vehicles.
Camp2Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #12

I have use my tractor and a clamp on receiver clamped on to the bucket to park my trailer and you will definitely need a spotter to guide you. I park mind in a 12 ft. wide carport and the trailer is 30 ft. out to out. yes you are sitting in the middle on the tractor and not the left side, so it is a little harder to park. With my flat trailers it is easy as can be. have even used the tractor to park my fifth wheel, using a set of forks and a converted fifth wheel attachment, like they do a the dealers.
2020 Open Range Light 291RLS.
tfdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #13

Not for me, been backing trailers for 25 years always use a spotter even for the easy spots...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #14

The dealer installed a front end receiver when I bought my full size van. Used it every time to tuck my trailer in it’s tight space.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #15

Front receiver

The number of years doesn’t change the geometry or the physics of the two different methods. I only started driving with trailers in 1962, and only got my CDL 50 years ago.
The better visibility and the reduced overhang on the front can put trailers where backing simply cannot.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #16

The only thing that presents a problem is the VIEW !! you have no way of seeing down the sides of the TT while pushing it...UNLESS !!! you happen to have a "Back Up Camera" then you'd have no problem seeing where you're going.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #17

Saw this once in a CG. Guy came in to his back up site, dropped TT in the road, turned his truck around and backed the TT in real smoothly. He told me that it is the only way to get the TT in his back yard

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
never heard of anyone wanting to 'push' a trailer, since pushing it might actually be much harder than backing it...

remember this - your front wheels on your truck turn, and if you don't keep them absolutely and totally straight while you are 'pushing', then the trailer will quite easily and quickly 'get out of wack', and so then, how would you 'correct' that? By backing up, of course.
when you are 'backing' a trailer, your front 'turning' wheels are at the opposite end of the equation, not right in front of the trailer's hitch, so you have more 'maneuverability' and an easier method to control the 'movement' of the trailer.

Folks have backing trailers and campers since the start of time, practically, so doing it this way has certainly proven to be the 'choice' of how to do it.
I've never seen anyone write that is so fond of apostrophes as your posts!

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #19

Years ago my parents traveled with a 16.5 ft TT. They pulled it with a car or I should say cars. He had a hitch that clamped on the front bumper, mounted on the right side of the car just inside of where the bumper mount was. He could actually see down the side of the TT. He Pushed the TT into many campsites. By the way he could actually back up trailers and mom was an excellent spotter.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #20

Any time my TT is in for service, they push it with a forklift. Must not be too difficult.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, parking