Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #31

The newer diesel's do not get the mileage they used to all due to the emissions constrictions from our lovely government, That said, my 2011 CTD gets 16-18 empty on they interstate at 75 mph, I have not towed enough to get an accurate measurement, but the last trip I drove I was getting 12 mpg overall, I DO NOT expect to get more than 10 mpg on a regular basis pulling. Might I refraise "I hope to get 10 mgp pulling"

Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #32
CampeRooo

Hey flyrotor,

Congrats on the 2011 ram, I like the new looks of them and i have thought about trading in again, but I am tired of making payments, so for now....I just look. LOL. Anyway, it's my opinion that you could probably do better than 10mpg on a consistent basis...at least prior to going into a regen. Over the last few years, I've subscribed to a cummins forum and tried to learn as much as I can about our trucks and I think you might find some helpful info there too. But I wanted to mention to you that under my own findings, if I keep the rpm under 1900 at all times...and do my best to keep the turbo from pushing over single digits, you can get some pretty surprising numbers. Around here, it's pretty tough to keep the vehicle under 70mph due to traffic flow, but the last time I made a road trip (empty), I kept the cruise at 68mph and achieved a 20.18mpg on that tank. The worst I've done pulling the roo is 14mpg, but that's going over 4 different mountain passes stretching from northern Colorado to southwestern Colorado. Granted, I'm not pulling your specific trailer nor do I have same specs on the truck, but I think the principle would be the same...might be worth a try and see how it goes.

(before my comment on my fuel mileage starts a whole new conversation, I'll just say that I eliminated as many variables as I could to get the most accurate reading that i could and added it to a years worth of stats that I've kept.). Oh and last I read, the overhead console reading still isn't accurate to any extent, so I wouldn't rely it to tell you the truth.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #33

Last fall travelling from Ont. to BC we went 4858 kilometers or 3018 miles and used 1130 liters of fuel or 299 gals. Averaged 10 miles per gal. at 55 to 65 miles per hour. We had some large mountains in BC and the hills around Northern Ontario. I cannot complain about the gas milage. I try not to use gas mileage and truck in the same sentence. I did not purchase a truck to get high gas mileage. It I wanted gas mileage I would buy a Smart car. But I could not tow a TT with a Smart car. I think that the V nose of the Windjammer helps with the gas mileage.
caper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post
Hey flyrotor,

Congrats on the 2011 ram, I like the new looks of them and i have thought about trading in again, but I am tired of making payments, so for now....I just look. LOL. Anyway, it's my opinion that you could probably do better than 10mpg on a consistent basis...at least prior to going into a regen. Over the last few years, I've subscribed to a cummins forum and tried to learn as much as I can about our trucks and I think you might find some helpful info there too. But I wanted to mention to you that under my own findings, if I keep the rpm under 1900 at all times...and do my best to keep the turbo from pushing over single digits, you can get some pretty surprising numbers. Around here, it's pretty tough to keep the vehicle under 70mph due to traffic flow, but the last time I made a road trip (empty), I kept the cruise at 68mph and achieved a 20.18mpg on that tank. The worst I've done pulling the roo is 14mpg, but that's going over 4 different mountain passes stretching from northern Colorado to southwestern Colorado. Granted, I'm not pulling your specific trailer nor do I have same specs on the truck, but I think the principle would be the same...might be worth a try and see how it goes.

(before my comment on my fuel mileage starts a whole new conversation, I'll just say that I eliminated as many variables as I could to get the most accurate reading that i could and added it to a years worth of stats that I've kept.). Oh and last I read, the overhead console reading still isn't accurate to any extent, so I wouldn't rely it to tell you the truth.

Joe
Thanks for the info, my mileage estimates were with the onboard computer, not that I trust it to any extent, but just as a guide. I'm not too worried either way as I know it will never be great, however, it matches or beats my 1/2 ton suburban and has much more muscle so I have accomplished my real needs with the power