Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Fuel Stations and Trailers

Have you ever noticed how many fuel stations are poorly designed to accomodate travel trailers? We've run into a number of situations where we needed fuel and the available stations had big issues with space or entrance angles (meaning inclines). It get particularly tough when you are in out-of-the-way places with just 1 or 2 stations available. There are some that you wonder whether you will get out of them once you are in without needing to back out onto the roadway.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oh yeah.....been there, done that, will have to do it a bunch more times.

And just when you spot a station with plenty of room to pull straight out, somebody parks right where you need to swing your TV so the trailer can clear the pumps. Some people just don't have a clue.
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #3

yepper
we try to stop now at flying j , they have a rv lane that usuallllllllly is easier to get and out of.
i had to give up on regular stations, at 13'6" tall, we tend to run out of room fast
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

I always try to check the backing out options when selecting a station and pump location. I have backed out of quite a few, and it isn't too bad if you looked it over before going in.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #5

I've had to jack-knife into several myself.

Just look at as a challenge.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

Even with my piddly 30 footer SV291 Surveyer I have found that it takes a good amount of scouting to get to the friendly pumps. The key, in my humble opinion, is to pull off the interstate (or whatever road you are on) and scout out the good spots. Many times I have had to pass and review the prospective stations. Then turn around and fill up.
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Most places are designed for cars and small trucks and you can see at the incline how many times their customers have bottomed out coming and going. I destroyed the towing socket and bracket at my local Shell station while pulling into their lot.
I always try to fill up before I attach my car for towing. There is only one station that I can get into with the car behind me and that requires luck that no one is near the entrance. It's a truck stop about 8 miles away from my home. The trucks have an advantage that they can back up and adjust their angle. Unfortunately, I can't with the car back there. Thankfully, I usually can get to my destination with a full tank and I try to top off at the nearest gas station near my destination. I look for the biggest entrance I can see and get into without risking any damage to my vehicles or their property. The most amazing thing is how many times I've been waiting for a vehicle to pull away so I can pull up to a pump and have someone pull in the opposite direction and cut in front of me. I also enjoy the stupid looks you get when you can't move because someone is getting coffee and left their car in the pump lane and they come out of the store with that look of "Someone else besides me needs fuel".

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure if it has been posted on this forum before, but there directory put out by Trailer Life titled: "Exit Now, Ultimate Travelers Exit Directory" @ http://www.trailerlifedirectory.com/...0&effortID=806

This lists RV/large vehicle friendly restaurants, gas stations and such at each interstate exit across the ol' USA., as well as all of the establishments at each exit. It also lists hospitals, rest stops, truck stops, low clearances on primary roads, and Walmart Super Center "Camp Grounds".
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Everybody has the same issues. I've had the DW stop traffic while I backed out in the street. I really try and stay away from those places. I use the 'Next Exit' book and frequent Flying J's whenever I can.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #10

It is my understanding that there is a nationwide movement afoot to have the interstate signs that announce what is available at the next exit include a symbol next to the service that would state that it is RV freindly. The requirements are set by the government in that there has to be parking for "big rigs" and turning radiuses in the parking lots has to be a set amount to accomodate large RVs etc. The last I had heard the new signs were supposed to go up here in the northwest this last year but alas the states could not agree on what symbol to use so it's still in limbo as far as I know. Go figure. Government! What a bunch of dolts!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Site Team

I've seen a couple of those on road signs. I'm not sure they were mandated by the gov but they had a small circle with the letters RV in it. They were on different brands so I don't think it was a mfg specific thing.