Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #1

Fueling Towing Vehicle

Getting in and out of fuel stops, gas, is getting more difficult it seems. Very hard to pull thru due to location of pumps and store, just not enough room. Any suggestions as to making this easier? Are some brand of fuel stops easier than others,
sadiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiemack View Post
Getting in and out of fuel stops, gas, is getting more difficult it seems. Very hard to pull thru due to location of pumps and store, just not enough room. Any suggestions as to making this easier? Are some brand of fuel stops easier than others,
Have your navigator do a google satellite view of potential fuel stops. We usually plan our fuel stops way in advance and prepare ourselves by looking at potential gas stations with satellite views if we are new to an area. We often do that before we leave our camping spot or if we are currently at a gas stop and planning out next one.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:23 AM   #3

Certainly the larger interstate gas stations, Pilot and Loves here in the mid-west and truck fuel sales ( truck stops) places have larger islands and more room to navigate. I stay wide away from the pump which allows me some room to navigate or even back out if I have to. Sometimes just be patient and let other cars in the way to move before trying to pull out. I have had to pass up stations that were too tight, or too busy and go another exit... so plan ahead before you get close to running out.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:44 AM   #4

Here in FL 90% of stations and all they are building are really big ... Ractrac WaWa circle K and in competition to see who can build the most stations ...14' clearance and 24-30 pumps and they are easy in and out .... when we travel Loves is our first choice then Pilot or Racetrac ... recent trip with my brother in law both of us pulling 32' 5th wheels we stopped same station with no problems ... Loves almost always have RV parking on the side so we can pull away from pumps and go inside ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #5

I learned on our first trip bringing our trailer home to start looking for fuel at half a tank. From here on out I will pre-plan all fueling stops. Of course, if you have a diesel, truck stops make it easy....
Old 09-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
I learned on our first trip bringing our trailer home to start looking for fuel at half a tank. From here on out I will pre-plan all fueling stops. Of course, if you have a diesel, truck stops make it easy....
Yep ... we start looking with 75 miles left in tank ... Cindy just grabs the phone and starts calling off what's coming up .... easy on the interstate if we are on state roads we look sooner most of the time it means next town...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 09-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

One of the key reasons I upgraded to a diesel truck and can now fuel up in the truck lanes.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #8

As a last resort if the fuel tank is getting close to empty, you could always drop.the trailer and just take the truck to the pump. We did this once while traveling. Gas station was tight and crazy busy. I was able to pull in lot across the front. Dropped trailer got gas. Took an extra.20 mins but better than hitting something. I was.told.this solution by a fellow camper, not sure I would have thought to do this. He actually dropped his camper in a Wal Mart lot across from gas station. Again, just a thought.
Cabinfever97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiemack View Post
Do you have a gas engine or a diesel engine tow rig? For a diesel engine tow rig, which I have, I use a booklet called the NEXT EXIT also an RVER'S Friend. The NEXT EXIT cover's the interstate truck stops, with the RVER'S Friend covering the non-interstate highways. These stops are all listed by cities in the state you are traveling through.

For gas stations un-hook fill up and then re-hookup this will be the easiest way to fill a gas rig. In my humble opinion. This is why I stop towing with a gas engine rig back in 2007. Could not get in and out of gas stations with my small 5th wheel and truck!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Do you have a gas engine or a diesel engine tow rig? For a diesel engine tow rig, which I have, I use a booklet called the NEXT EXIT also an RVER'S Friend. The NEXT EXIT cover's the interstate truck stops, with the RVER'S Friend covering the non-interstate highways. These stops are all listed by cities in the state you are traveling through.

For gas stations un-hook fill up and then re-hookup this will be the easiest way to fill a gas rig. In my humble opinion. This is why I stop towing with a gas engine rig back in 2007. Could not get in and out of gas stations with my small 5th wheel and truck!
I find the number of new "big" stations it is just not a problem ... my limited experience is FL GA TENN and SC ....
Old 09-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #11

Having diesel it is easier to get fuel. We are smaller than 18 wheelers.

Body damage from bumping anything costs a fortune to repair. We are beginners. Been lucky so far. Yes, I refuel anytime we drop the fiver.

The local credit union had their drive up system destroyed twice in a year.

Not so far fetched as one might think.

Most folks prefer to fuel their cars at the easiest pumps for rv’s.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
llr

Most stations have room to back out if you can't pull around, have someone spot you if you don't have a camera. I back out more then pull through.

I found it much harder to find station when I had a MH with a toad as you can't back up without disconnecting although the 75 gallon tanks helped
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #13

Extra fuel......

Is my answer.
Depending on far were going I'll bring two 5 gal diesel cans and ratchet strap them in the bed of the truck. Then when we stop for lunch I'll dump them in. We do this if the 2 cans will take us to the campground without a gas station stop.
Greg in Michigan
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Have your navigator do a google satellite view of potential fuel stops. We usually plan our fuel stops way in advance and prepare ourselves by looking at potential gas stations with satellite views if we are new to an area. We often do that before we leave our camping spot or if we are currently at a gas stop and planning out next one.
Great advise, with TV and TT, we are about 56ft. We look ahead at fuel stops in satellite view and make plans well in advance. If more stations had pumps parallel with the road it would be easier to get in and out of.

I am sure there are many threads in this forum about this subject.

Now that we have gone diesel, it's mostly pulling in with the big boys for fuel. There is a protocol to get along with the truckers, but we don't hold them up and get along fine.

While at a local Loves truck stop recently, there was a 2500 with a fifth wheel, and a Jeep as a toad, pulling into a gasser pump. I was really impressed that the guy could get in and out of there, so it can be done...

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #15
Brake is on left

I will hit a truck stop if I have to but man is their Diesel expensive. On the plus side, I can drop 40 gallons in half the time of a regular station thanks to the high volume pumps.
Most times, I just block whatever I need to block in order to make sure I can pull out. Most folks do not seem to mind much and just go out a different way. Those people that give me the stink eye can go on with their miserable little lives. I won't pull 62' of rig into a spot I am not sure I can get out of.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #16

Trax3 extra tank, auto-magic filling.

Great stuff, Maynard.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #17

When towing on Interstate highways we too use the NEXT EXIT book. It shows RV friendly stations in red. Before we got that book, we would have to look up truck stops on the web, which is not always feasible when traveling in areas of low cell coverage. And we have learned to try to plan our stops ahead of time, before we get on the road, to lessen the stress a little. Guess I'm learning with age! Ha!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #18

if you are in Texas there is Buckee's, you could fuel a 747 at their fuel island
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #19
Lets go camping!

fueling with a trailer sucks. makes me want to get a 40 gal aux tank!

but i still whip my truck and trailer in a regular gas station, dont bother me none. ill block off half the parking lot if i have to get to the only diesel pump.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #20

If I'm needing gas and I'm in a town rather than the open road, I'll either use the good ol' Google Maps satellite view or just head down a main road and do a visual check of the gas stations available as I drive by, circling the block if I see a likely candidate. I concentrate on the ones at intersections because they often have the option of entering on one street and exiting out the other, avoiding any dreaded sharp turns.
Those at the edge of town are also better candidates as they tend to have more space, and big-box stores with pump stations in large parking lots are also likely to have more turning room.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, towing