Old 11-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
I'm with you on plain paint, simpler the better. Our Lexi has the base paint scheme with the decal swirls. Thinking about removing the decals as some are starting to peel at the edges. Will end up with a two tone simple paint.

grumpy0374 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
I am buying a new FR Georgetown XL in a few months, and have pretty much decided to order it unpainted. The FR rep says the fiberglass is treated so that weather will effect it less than a painted coach. It will be an off-white vanilla color. I don't care for the swirly designs and like not worrying about the pinstriping and paint ever peeling. And I sure don't want it even partially painted black to attract the summer heat. Anyone have comments about this?
Sure, paint doesn't peel, unless you are doing it wrong. Plus look at the threads about recent gelcoats that have badly faded. The FR rep is full of it. Paint is expensive but better than plain gelcoat. I had plain gelcoat trailers, and I don't not miss the black streaks. We camp in the woods, in the north. If I was camping in the sun in the south, I would go with a light color or plain gelcoat.

Now if you just don't like it, your decision.

2011 Brookstone 354TS
2013 F350 SC 6.7 DRW
Swivelwheel 58DW
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud
Full paint cost more because the back ground paint has to cover the entire unit. Whereas partial paint just uses the filon for the background. That saves gallons of paint so it also saves big $$.

Paint will provide much better protection to filon or "fiberglass" sided units. The resins in gelcoat do not have the UV protection that paint and clear coat have.
Chalking up of gelcoat or resin is actually the breaking down of the material from UV exposure and why quality waxes and inclosed storage is so benificial to boats and rvs.

Of course any paint job can fail and peel if the surface is prepped wrong or if there is an proper technique used, but you will have to trust that they have hired people that know how to do thier job. Just look at other models that share similar paint options and see how they are holding up. You can also call the manufacturer and ask who they use for paint and thier warranty for paint. Either option, full or partial, the paint well most undoubtedly look good way longer than most decals.
Good luck with your decision!!!

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote