Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

full body paint

I just purchased a 2013 Solera with full body paint. I have heard that if you cover the rv it can void the paint warranty. Not to worried about that because I believe it's just a 12 month warranty but can get advice from other people that have full body paint do you cover your RV when storing it outside during the winter. I have always covered my class c but they never had the full body paint. Can the cover end up marking the paint where it rubs during windy conditions? Recommendations on a preferred cover to avoid this or go without? I don't want to remove it next spring to find rub marks all over the paint where it was touching the cover. The two choices I see are a tyvek/polypropylene ( Elements brand thinks its the same as adco) or a Ploy-oxford fabric (Elements premium) any advice out there?
Solera Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #2

The only Guarantee that any cover used outside will NOT rub or wear your RV does NOT Exist! Store inside or have a Marina Shrink Wrap it! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

agreed and I get that just didn't know if full body paint had more exposure to rubbing or if it even needed a cover.
Solera Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

Couple of things. When I was hauling a new bike home from NC to MI many years ago, I was informed to never cover it when hauled. It will rub the paint right off. Seen it on other bikes.

The paint, if like mine, is automotive grade, clear coated. Just like your car. It will protect, but you need to treat it like your cars paint.

Finally, Dicor reps/engineers were at the Coachmen rally in 2014. They recommended NO covers for trailers. Their opinion was that if you just take care of the roof, no cover is needed. Also, they noted that many people incorrectly install covers, often too tight, damaging the edges and corners of the roof. In other words they can cause more problems than they solve.

A fixed solid roof is a better solution. Wish I had one. But I put mine in covered storage over the winter.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
RV Vagabond Jerry

I am just confused about the term "full body paint" which FR has as an option for new RV's. What are the alternatives? Partial body paint? Do they also paint just half of it if it is not full body? And which half? Or which part?
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

An example of partial paint (albeit a different manufacturer).

Seismic Toy Haulers | Jayco, Inc.

Scroll down. It says 3/4 front exterior.

Usually cheaper than full body paint.

Don't really know any more. Never really looked into one.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
RV Vagabond Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
An example of partial paint (albeit a different manufacturer).

Seismic Toy Haulers | Jayco, Inc.

Scroll down. It says 3/4 front exterior.

Usually cheaper than full body paint.

Don't really know any more. Never really looked into one.
It looks fully painted to me and with graphics like crazy.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

They can be hard to see any difference in a picture.

Here is another example of each.

Decor Options - Lifestyle Luxury Recreational Vehicles, LLC.

Like I said, I don't believe I have seen up close any partial paints, so I am not sure what that entails versus a full body.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Citrus County, Fl.

Full body paint also gives you 3M protection on the hood, cap and front facing parts of the coach. No decals to worry about peeling. I keep mine under a covered car port and would not even consider a cover even if it was out in the weather.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:10 PM   #10
RV Vagabond Jerry

Cool

I am buying a new FR Georgetown XL in a few months, and have pretty much decided to order it unpainted. The FR rep says the fiberglass is treated so that weather will effect it less than a painted coach. It will be an off-white vanilla color. I don't care for the swirly designs and like not worrying about the pinstriping and paint ever peeling. And I sure don't want it even partially painted black to attract the summer heat. Anyone have comments about this?
Old 11-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #11

I'm with you on plain paint, simpler the better. Our Lexi has the base paint scheme with the decal swirls. Thinking about removing the decals as some are starting to peel at the edges. Will end up with a two tone simple paint.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
I am buying a new FR Georgetown XL in a few months, and have pretty much decided to order it unpainted. The FR rep says the fiberglass is treated so that weather will effect it less than a painted coach. It will be an off-white vanilla color. I don't care for the swirly designs and like not worrying about the pinstriping and paint ever peeling. And I sure don't want it even partially painted black to attract the summer heat. Anyone have comments about this?
Sure, paint doesn't peel, unless you are doing it wrong. Plus look at the threads about recent gelcoats that have badly faded. The FR rep is full of it. Paint is expensive but better than plain gelcoat. I had plain gelcoat trailers, and I don't not miss the black streaks. We camp in the woods, in the north. If I was camping in the sun in the south, I would go with a light color or plain gelcoat.

Now if you just don't like it, your decision.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Full paint cost more because the back ground paint has to cover the entire unit. Whereas partial paint just uses the filon for the background. That saves gallons of paint so it also saves big $$.

Paint will provide much better protection to filon or "fiberglass" sided units. The resins in gelcoat do not have the UV protection that paint and clear coat have.
Chalking up of gelcoat or resin is actually the breaking down of the material from UV exposure and why quality waxes and inclosed storage is so benificial to boats and rvs.

Of course any paint job can fail and peel if the surface is prepped wrong or if there is an proper technique used, but you will have to trust that they have hired people that know how to do thier job. Just look at other models that share similar paint options and see how they are holding up. You can also call the manufacturer and ask who they use for paint and thier warranty for paint. Either option, full or partial, the paint well most undoubtedly look good way longer than most decals.
Good luck with your decision!!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote