Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

Full PDI with customer not typical at RVW?

I'm picking up my trailer at RVW this Saturday so I gave my sales guy a heads up that I plan to do a full PDI when I arrive. I sent him my checklist and offered that I'd like to plan for 90 minutes to go through everything. His complete response was:

"Our Techs will be giving you the walk thru explaining the trailer to you.
They also can provide you with their PDI check sheet that they do before the trailer is pick up or delivered."

Hard to tell for sure what that means exactly. I'm good with the part about explaining the trailer to me, but I'm curious if an actual PDI with the customer is frowned upon. I can imagine that with their volume of work they're not looking to spend 1-2 hours with every customer. Still, if the customer asks ahead of time I'd think it could be accomodated.

Can anyone offer up their experience in picking up a trailer at RVW?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

I can't tell you about RVW, but it's normal for the techs to do the PDI with you. Most techs will take as long as you need.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Its normal and preferred to have a tech do the run-through with you. Much more knowledge generally than the sales guys.

What he meant by "their PDI" is that each dealer should have a tech run each new trailer through an inspection that is done before you ever see the trailer. That's also a good thing as it gives them a chance to correct any issues before you get there. That is what they refer to as "PDI".

I am sure the tech will be happy to go through the trailer with you and then allow you a couple of hours on your own with the trailer to do your own inspection.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

I had a similar experience back in June with RVW. I sent them my PDI list and they said they work with their own list, which they eventually provided to me.

What actually happens is that they have a tech guy do the PDI when the unit comes in and they will likely have a sales guy walk you through it when you pick it up. This is what they did with us.

In our case, they told us to take our time as long as we wanted and also to go over it as best we can before, during and after the walk-through and to note (they have a form for this) any thing amiss. They then go ahead and fix it right there and you sign off on it that they fixed everything that was found during the walk through. We were there for about 2-3 hours, also had a hitch installed there and bought some stuff for it from their parts shop.

In retrospect it was a decent procedure although the young sales guy doing the walk through knew far less about the trailer then I did... I did so much research I actually showed him some stuff, and this is my first trailer.

I think that the PDI they did was decent if not perfect. May give them some slack for being a volume mover. All in all it was a positive experience and the most important part is that you finish the day with your new camper!!
Sahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
I can't tell you about RVW, but it's normal for the techs to do the PDI with you. Most techs will take as long as you need.
When my PDI was scheduled my dealership asked if I had a RV before and I said no. They allotted extra time with me being new to everything.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

What is the most common issues found at PDI and immediatly following?

When you are doing your PDI -
What issues did you find?
also
What issues did you find - on your 1st trips.

We are also purchasing from RVW and have to drive many hours - would like to make sure the unit is as good as possible before we leave.

I know they will check the big things - just don't want to drive 12 hours to have a busted trailer.
Jim_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #7

Jim, I've done a lot of research and "borrowed" from a few checklists -- here's what I've come up with:

PDI
· Wheels / Tires
1. Verify correct tire PSI
2. Tire brand – Chinese no-name? Or something like Goodyear?
3. Check wheel hubs – do they have grease fittings? Were they fully greased?
4. Verify lug nut torque
· Fresh Water System
1. Try all faucets
2. Look for leaks under sinks
3. Try outdoor shower
4. Check for excessive water pump noise
5. Verify water heater operation
1. Listen for the click of the igniter and the small pop where the burner lights
2. Turn on the AC element in the water heater (if connected) and confirm operation
· Black / Gray Water Systems
1. Check tank level monitor (assuming you can put water in at the dealer)
2. Check sewer fittings – nothing broken or loose
· HVAC
1. Run heater – check ALL heater vents to ensure they’re connected
2. Run AC – check ALL ducted vents to ensure they’re connected
· Electrical
1. Try all electrical outlets with hair dryer
2. Test GFI by pushing the test button
3. Understand which outlets are downstream of the GFI
4. Operate all light / power switches
· Stove / Oven
1. Run the stove burners
1. Turn on all burners to verify there’s enough propane flow to operate the refrigerator, water heater, and all the burners.
2. Verify the operation of the pilot light for the oven
2. Operate the microwave – boil a cup of water
3. Try the RVQ grill
· Exterior Inspection
1. Sight down the length of each side, looking for delam bumps / depressions
2. Check exterior of all windows for good alignment and seals
3. Check main entry door gasket condition and alignment
4. Extend and retract awning – inspect awning for tears, frays
5. Crawl underneath – looks for signs of obvious damage, poor welds, etc
6. Check brake lights / blinkers
7. Go up on the roof and check all seams, seals, proper seating of components, protruding screw heads
8. Try outdoor speakers
9. Try all keys
10. Check all door hinges and locks for tightness
· Interior Inspection
1. Open and close all windows
2. Try heated mattress
3. Try the TV / DVD / CD
4. Check corners of floors – ensure flooring is properly secured
5. Check all drawers and cabinets for proper operation / closing
6. Operate each blind – check for alignment
7. Check for moisture (especially if the trailer has been out in the rain)
8. Check tightness of TV bracket
9. Operate all roof vents

Questions
1. Ask about Eternabond for the exterior – recommended? Does it void the warranty in any way?
2. What is the roof made of? What recurring maintenance is recommended?
3. Where do you jack up the trailer to change tire?
4. Does hot water heater have a bypass? If so where is it and how does it work?
5. What is the battery disconnect? How does it work? Should I disconnect it any time the RV sits?
6. What sort of battery maintenance should I perform? Periodic checking / topping off the water?
7. How do you turn on and run the fridge on propane?
1. Does fridge automatically kick over to electrical once you plug in? If not, how do you switch it?
8. Explain the operation of the converter, AC circuit breakers, and DC fuses.
9. How do you recommend winterizing? Antifreeze or blow out?
10. Are there heater and AC filters? If so where? How often to change / clean?
11. Where are the water system low-point drains?
12. Does the black tank have a flushing system?
13. How does propane regulator work? How do you switch between tanks?
1. Any way to tell propane level?
14. Where is the circuit box?
15. Where is the water filter?
16. Where is the “yellow sticker” with actual shipped weight from the factory?
17. Where is hot water heater switch for switching between propane and electric?
18. Can I plug into a 50 amp service? Need an adaptor? Any concerns?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #8

Sahgie, did you hook up to water for your delivery inspection? I don't know if I should ask for that, given that I'll need to then have them winterize the trailer before I hit the road. Not sure if this is reasonable to ask for or not...
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Pat View Post
also

We are also purchasing from RVW and have to drive many hours - would like to make sure the unit is as good as possible before we leave.

I know they will check the big things - just don't want to drive 12 hours to have a busted trailer.
My trailer didn't have any surprises - everything worked.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #10

If you have the time I would also suggest camping nearby the first night (we camped at Indian Lake SP, 5 minutes away). We went back the next day for a couple of questions and an issue I had with only some of the external vehicle lights working when connected to my TV, which turned out to be a blown fuse in my truck. They gave me a replacement fuse for the truck and sent me on my way.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Sahgie, did you hook up to water for your delivery inspection? I don't know if I should ask for that, given that I'll need to then have them winterize the trailer before I hit the road. Not sure if this is reasonable to ask for or not...
Actually I didn't hook up, but I camped nearby so I had a chance to check the water connections (some at least, there was only electric at the site).

I did have one issue that happened and was kind of a hassle. I got a washer and dryer installed at the factory. They attested to doing a PDI on that as well and I guess they shut it off in mid-cycle after seeing that it is working. This gave tons of trouble later on when water kept entering the washer while it was off (nasty finding it out the hard way when I opened the washer door a couple of days later when it had filled up silently.) Since then I preach to anyone with a washer to do a complete cycle on empty as fast as possible to "reset" it.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Pat View Post
also

Initially I found small stuff, bulb missing, piece of trim that needed help staying in place. What I didn't find immediately and was an issue I wish I fixed right there, which had to be taken care through warranty later is that a couple of grey and black valves had to be adjusted for tighter closure when handle is in off position.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #13

Thanks PG Rider - that is info every needs - exspecially a newbie like myself
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #14

Picked my unit up at rvw last year and it had a leak. Thankfully it had rained hard over two days or I would not have known. Take your time and inspect everything carefully. They are a high volume dealer and busy but you can take as much time as you need on your own to check stuff out.
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #15

Thanks for the feed back -
The list is now 3 pages - Added a few things for the 5th wheel stuff, and slide outs I want to remember.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #16

Wow!! reading all this makes me see that we were so lucky when we bought our Crusader. We bought ours at Jmatt in Poteau Ok and we bought new. They went over everything with us and spent a lot of time with us showing us every little feature on it!We have had no issues with our Crusader......The only thing we had was the trailer was winterized. First time out we couldn't get any water anywhere.The tech stayed on the phone with us for an hour till we got everything figured out.We love our Crusader and know that we made the best choice. I still like to look at everyone else's and see what they have......
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #17

To piggyback on a question of the origional poster that I did not see answered..........We are also picking up our new hybrid at RVW. Should I have them hook up to water for the inspection and if so, should I expect them to re-winterize after the inspection? We live in Ohio so, I expect additional cold weather this year. The other option for us is to check water later when the weather warms up.

Thanks
Cincy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #18

We spent 6 hours doing a complete PDI on our trailer last June at RVW. Ask them for a copy of the invoice when you arrive to insure all ordered items were installed. We were missing the extreme package. They offered to reorder our trailer and deliver it to our home at no cost. Since we had already spent 4 hours on the PDI and the trailer looked good we chose a refund. We also camped at Indian Lake to test all elements. The RVW person spent about an hour showing us the trailer. I recommend avoiding a Saturday pickup to get more attention.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #19

Thanks for posting that PDI checklist PG. How exciting...you get to pick it up this weekend!
poohbearntigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post
To piggyback on a question of the origional poster that I did not see answered..........We are also picking up our new hybrid at RVW. Should I have them hook up to water for the inspection and if so, should I expect them to re-winterize after the inspection? We live in Ohio so, I expect additional cold weather this year. The other option for us is to check water later when the weather warms up.

Thanks
Cincy - they need to check and operate the various water systems. Here's the specific parts to my PDI:

City Water System –
· Turn off the pump, connect up to city water (use a regulator if overly high pressure is suspected) and confirm that the connection works correctly.
· Look for leaks under sinks and at the toilet and showers and confirm the operation of all fixtures.

Water Pump
· Your PDI person should have filled the fresh water tank, so now you can test the function of the water pump.
· After turning it on, you should hear it pump for several seconds, even up to a minute to create enough pressure in the system.
· If the pump does not shut off, there is a problem.
· Run water in the kitchen and bathroom sink and notice that the pump will come back on until proper water pressure is restored.
· Now is the time to fix a noisy pump if it is vibrating or making any irritating sounds.

Water Heater
Try the water heater on propane first…
· A few seconds after you turn it on, you should hear the click of the igniter and the small pop when the burner lights.
· The red light should stay on until that process happens.
· If it does not ignite, then there is a problem.

After this, it should be fairly easy for them to winterize either with compressed air or antifreeze. I would request it if you believe that you will continue to experience freezing weather.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote