Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Full time family living

We are in the market for a new house, the current market is so hot we can't compete with contracts. We have a HG 365qb for our family of 4 and 2 dogs. We are considering selling out house and moving into the trailer for about 6 months or until we find the property that's right for us. We feel this will open a lot more options.

With that we are some what skeptical on the idea of living full time for that period of time.

Anyone currently living fulltime with this family size and what lessons have you learned, is it worth it?

Any advice would be appreciated.
KIPKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Always Learning

You're sooooooooooooooooo not alone! Not in the slightest!

I have a family of 4, but no pets in a very similar camper (Sabre 36QBOK). I actually am not enthusiastic about the living room layout. But it works well for us.

First, check out the Fulltime Families organization. It was started by a family of 6 and 2-3 pets 6 or 7 years ago when they went fulltime. They're still on the road and are great people. They also host a Facebook group of the same name of about 10,000 who are either families who live in RVs, used to live in RVs, or want to live in RVs. It's a great group.

There are even spin off groups for LARGE families (think 6+ kids).

Being fulltime- there are a lot of families who are stationary (like you describe) and a lot of families who travel.

What are you concerned about?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

Temporarily stationary full timers

Family of 6, 2 adults and 4 girls under age 7 temporarily full timing on our property while having a house built. Can get a bit crowded at times, not complaining though, one bathroom to share seems to be biggest problem for us. We have full hookups here on property already.
doodler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #4

It depends completely on the individuals who comprise the family. If there is someone who demands a lot of "space" it could be a problem.

If the weather is reasonable most of the time and the local zoning allows it, you might consider adding a tent to the campsite. Some kids love the "Adventure". It does not need to be used every day, but it can allow some decompression room.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

If we had our own land already I do not think I wound be as concerned about it, but we are going to have to find an rv park. So far that is becoming an issue. A newer one close by will allow both my dogs but has no shade and is pretty much all gravel, another one we looked into would be perfect, has a lot of shade trees and is a little more secluded currently has no openings and advised since one of my pups is mixed with pit I would have to get rid of him. I can't find this rule on the site and theyour referred me to the city code which has nothing listed either.

We will be going here soon for a full week to test the waters on it will go. If it's a good week, then we will list the house and go from there
Old 06-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

I am sorry you would have to give up your pit mix dog. Our daughter moved back home after living in AK and brought her rescue dog, a pit, border collie, lab mix. That dog is such a big baby and very sweet. The worst thing she does is dig holes and bury things in the back yard. People need to get educated before putting ridiculous restrictions on others.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #7

I would agree, I found him during an auto theft inspection at a car dealership, no one would claim him and there's no way I could just leave him there. He was around 13 to 16 weeks, he is now 6 months and a great addition to the family. I think we are going to have a dna test done on him to see if we can't prove he's got more of another breed and have the vet write it up that way. But I'm afraid his apparence shines to much to a pit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466355405397.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	111569   Click image for larger version

Name:	1466355487695.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	111570  
Old 06-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
People need to get educated before putting ridiculous restrictions on others.
Good luck. It starts with insurance companies for most campgrounds.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #9

In14 years I have yet to take a report of a Pitbull bite. Labs on the other hand, have several a year. Followed closely by the nip of heelers.
lytlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I follow this family https://www.facebook.com/newschoolnomads/?fref=ts they also did a spot on the GORV channel when they bought their fifth wheel. They have downsized but she writes a lot about the life.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #11

Thanks for the link. I will check into it.

Well we booked our reservstion at an rv park in mansfield starting sunday. We will be packing up and leaving from there friday to go to a state park for the 4th so welk have s full 7 days with a move, this should give us a good idea.