Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Full Time RVing

What do you need to pack and haul around with you. Travling w/ f250 diesel pulling a 34ft 5er
muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

If you are full timing, your 5er is your home so take everything you need to live.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Everyone is different so the things I'm planning to pack and take are likely completely different from what you would want.

Example... how many banjos will you take full timing?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #4

Wow, this is a broad question. Let me start with a few things and see where it goes from here.
Tools like pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, multimeter, cordless drill, socket set that can also be used on the drill, torque wrench ..... to do small electrical and mechanical repairs.
Electrical tape, duct tape, baling wire, zip ties, command hooks, velcro....
Dinnerware and kitchen gadgets.
Collapsible container for water, hose, ext. cord ....
Bedding, appropriate clothing for where you're going ....
Maps, GPS is useful but don't trust it.
First Aid kit, contact information for doctors .....
Try to pack items that do double duty because of weight and limited space.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #5

Will you be traveling, or spending most of your time in a RV Resort ? If traveling then your going to have to scale down. If your spending most of your time in Resort you can get storage shed and have more possessions.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Everyone is different so the things I'm planning to pack and take are likely completely different from what you would want.

Example... how many banjos will you take full timing?
Banjo fittings or the actual instrument??
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Wow, this is a broad question. Let me start with a few things and see where it goes from here.
Tools like pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, multimeter, cordless drill, socket set that can also be used on the drill, torque wrench ..... to do small electrical and mechanical repairs.
Electrical tape, duct tape, baling wire, zip ties, command hooks, velcro....
Dinnerware and kitchen gadgets.
Collapsible container for water, hose, ext. cord ....
Bedding, appropriate clothing for where you're going ....
Maps, GPS is useful but don't trust it.
First Aid kit, contact information for doctors .....
Try to pack items that do double duty because of weight and limited space.
I think I got it. Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Will you be traveling, or spending most of your time in a RV Resort ? If traveling then your going to have to scale down. If your spending most of your time in Resort you can get storage shed and have more possessions.
Mostly traveling for now. I think I got it. Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Insert witty title here

Just be sure not to exceed the GVWR of your trailer or the cargo capacity of your TV when deciding whet to pack along.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

From a full timer here, pack only what is USEFUL for your style. Unless you plan on spending lots of time boondocking, most everything you will need or want while on the road is readily available at your favorite stores. Post number 4 is a good example of basic requirements. Think about your specific circumstances/wants/needs, and go light. There is no right or wrong answer here.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #11

2 more things you should always have on hand:
Dicor lap sealant and ProFlex RV, a roll eternabond tape and butyl tape is optional.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
Always Learning

How long until you go fulltiming? If you have time, pack up all of your crap except what you consider the bare essentials. Live with that and see what you find yourself getting back out of the boxes.

I had also read, you should tag things in some way so you know the last time they were used. Anything not used for 6 months should be tossed. I claim we'll do that, but we don't ever get around to it.

Fulltiming is partly about freeing yourself from "stuff". We have been fulltime for 2 1/2 years and are "over packers". I loathe that any time I want something, I have to move something else to get it. Want the milk? Move the water bottle. Want the cereal? Move the breakfast bars. Want shoes? Move some clothes. Fills me with rage!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #13

Full Time RVing

I keep disciplining myself to inventory each box as I pack it. This is so I can retrieve “it” should I have a need. I keep a copy in my computer, on the outside of the box and in the box. I stored the boxes in numerical order. DW retired in July, when she asks for something she or a GD packed, I respond, “It is in a box in storage, let’s go look.”

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #14
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Fulltiming is partly about freeing yourself from "stuff". We have been fulltime for 2 1/2 years and are "over packers". I loathe that any time I want something, I have to move something else to get it. Want the milk? Move the water bottle. Want the cereal? Move the breakfast bars. Want shoes? Move some clothes. Fills me with rage!
Ouch, we are going to move into our little MH in the spring for as long as we like. My husband is dreading listening to me complain about moving stuff to get to other stuff. He is extraordinarily patient and I am not. I'm going to try harder...............to be patient....................
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Ouch, we are going to move into our little MH in the spring for as long as we like. My husband is dreading listening to me complain about moving stuff to get to other stuff. He is extraordinarily patient and I am not. I'm going to try harder...............to be patient....................
It is one of my biggest complaints and I blame us (not her, not me- US).

We are constantly purging, but it never seems to stop.

The biggest thing with a "little MH" is watch your cargo carrying capacity. These things are pretty easy to overload- especially if you like to carry any water.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #16

DW and I downsized 18 months ago. Went fRom 2600 soft house on 8 1/2 acres, to our 420 soft 38EL, and love it. We had a moving sale and sold 75 % of everything we owned, gave away 15%. It is amazing the things you accumulate and don't use.

We are fulltimers now and have a double lot in a campground. We also have a 32 ft Toyhauler 5er that sits on the other spot and faces our 38EL. It is storage and acts as a guest house if someone wants to stay over.

I will be retiring in a few years and plan to hit the road. We will keep this location as our home base. Our kids and grand kids and other family and friends still live here and it will give us a place to stay. To live here now it is $5,800 a year for full hookup on both sites. When we stop living here fulltime it will drop to $2,200 a year for both.

It was hard to give up everything, but life is so simple now. DW spent hours cleaning a house that we only used 4 rooms in. I spent hours cutting the grass on 8 1/2 acres, along with all the other house maintenance. We now have more time to enjoy together.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote