Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Question Full timing

We hope to be full timing it very soon. But I have some questions maybe that can get some answers.
1. vehicle registrations, what state to use. No home address.
a. use a familys address?
2. Drivers license, again no home address.
3. taxes
4. mail forwarding
5. insurance
I am sure that there are many more downfalls to full timing it that I have not thought of.

I am just trying to get prepared for the near future.

Thanks

2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

WE are asking some of the same questions. Having a deeded site in an RV Resort and a local home address, not a PO box should go a long way for some of that. We plan on switching out car tags to the county we will be living in when not on the road. Having two coach's one stays parked all the time:

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Here's what we do. Keep in mind, we kept the piece of property with the shop. The house we sold was at a different location.

1. vehicle registrations, what state to use. No home address. All our vehicles, RV, boat etc are registered at our shop property in Louisiana. We won't ever sell this property due to the super man cave that's on it, so it was easy just to register everything there, and leave it that way.
a. use a familys address? In your case, you could do this.
2. Drivers license, again no home address. Same thing. Driver's license shows the address to our shop in Louisiana. You could list this as a family's address if need be.
3. taxes Still registered in Louisiana, so we pay state taxes there. Residence address listed as where our shop is at, mailing is the PO box near my parents.
4. mail forwarding What little bills we have, we do all online. Pretty much everything is paperless in our case. We do have a PO box in the same town as my parents. What little mail we do need to get there is sent to us once a week, wherever we're at. Example would be, my necessary copy of motorhome and trailer life magazines.
5. insurance All paid online by the year. Everything is shown as in Louisiana. We carry the typical policy on the camper, but also have renters insurance for other items since we full time.
I am sure that there are many more downfalls to full timing it that I have not thought of.

Some move their residence elsewhere for cheaper taxes. For us, it was easier to leave everything in Louisiana. I like to keep it simple. Louisiana is relatively cheap anyway for vehicle tags and taxes. My work obviously requires me to have a physical address for travel reimbursemenet, and it is too much of a pain to change it every 2-3 months when we move, so we just agreed to leave it as is for simplicity.

There are way too many pros to outway the cons to full timing. Once you get everything organized the way you want, and let go of the fact you have no stick and bricks place, it's the best thing since sliced bread.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
We hope to be full timing it very soon. But I have some questions maybe that can get some answers.
1. vehicle registrations, what state to use. No home address.
a. use a familys address?
2. Drivers license, again no home address.
3. taxes
4. mail forwarding
5. insurance

I am just trying to get prepared for the near future.

Thanks
Congrats on your decision to fulltime. I recommend Florida or S. Dakota for all of the above. I use St Brendans Isle in Green Cove Springs, Fl. They assisted me with getting everything set up. No state income tax in either state. Look them up on the web
Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

If you have family who would do all that for you that would be great. I hope they live in a state that doesn't have state income tax! Good Luck
Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #6

There is a website called Escapees. They have all the information a full timer needs.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info. We do have undeveloped property in WI.
Relatives in OK, MS, MI and Ia maybe we will use one of them..
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #8

I would also recomend the Excapees to all who want to full time. I am a menber of Excapees but not a fulltimer. Good Luck
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #9

Mississippi has state income taxes and car tags are based on the value of vehicle. While I love living here if I were in your situation I'd look for a state with better tax situations. Good luck and be happy!