Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Super-Duper Member

Full-Timing Information

Hello all,

My parents just informed me that they are considering full-timing in about two years. Well, this raises questions about everything from mail to taxes. I don't know where to begin other than asking you all about your own experiences. Here are a few starters, but feel free to add any advice that would help...

...Considering 5th wheels, are three axels better than two?
...how about 1 ton pickups. Dually or SRW?
...Diesel or gas?
...Camper ammenities? Must haves?
...anyone carry handguns? Can you cross state lines?
...Pets? Issues?
...Health Care. What do you do when on the road? Regular check-ups?

I could go on for days here. Maybe one of you will know of a book or a website that would help out also.

Thank you all ahead of time!
ReedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedMan View Post
Hello all,

My parents just informed me that they are considering full-timing in about two years. Well, this raises questions about everything from mail to taxes. I don't know where to begin other than asking you all about your own experiences. Here are a few starters, but feel free to add any advice that would help...

...Considering 5th wheels, are three axels better than two? depends on the weight of the coach, triples add more for replacement costs down the road of tires and parts, a pair of 7k axles are becoming the norm. thats alot of capacity
...how about 1 ton pickups. Dually or SRW?dually is more stable in crosswinds and 1 ton is a defintie if its a coach big enough or plush enough to live in full time
...Diesel or gas?diesel
...Camper ammenities? Must haves?ample cargo capacity after you load up at least half fresh water and all your groceries and clothes and stuff, it adds up fast. realistic is 3k of pers stuff and groceries after you load full propane and half fresh water
...anyone carry handguns? Can you cross state lines?
...Pets? Issues?our pet loves it, just make sure yu have the pet vaccianted and copies of vet recrds incase they need care or treatment
...Health Care. What do you do when on the road? Regular check-ups?we come home to see our doc and do the epress scripts by mail any where in the country, we have military health care so a base can always fix us if we break on the road health wise.

I could go on for days here. Maybe one of you will know of a book or a website that would help out also.

Thank you all ahead of time!
ask all you want, there is TONS of answers

i would say have em go look at every brand and layour of fiver and take tons of picures and notes
then go to a campground and see what folks are living in and ask em about pluses and minus of thier coach

we looked at a fleetwood yesterday real nice fiver
but the basement door couldnt be opened and held open if the bedroom slide was out ????/ you woudl think somebdy saw that in engineering.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Florida Member

Try Escapees website, very informative about fulltiming. They have a forum also, and you don't have to join their club to join their forum. Hope this helps.
'92 Son, Barely used
'71 Wife, spoiled rotten, but in great shape
'99 Miniture Cocker Spaniel, spoiled rotten, almost as much as '71 wife.
'08 "Chug", running in a dead tie for second as far as being as spoiled as '71 wife.
Scuba Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #4

On the handgun subject if they are CCW

This site will help them stay legal.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Non CCW laws can be found here

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I just googled "full-timers" and broused just a few of the hits. I think you'll find a lot of your concerns and questions can be put to rest. It seems full-timers love to share their stories, and support from the 'kids' seems central to making full-timing work well.

Needless to say, but no handguns or guns of any kind over the border, if they ever plan to wander north.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote