Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Tony Zornik Send a message via MSN to Tony Zornik
Full Width Mudflap for TT

I removed a full width mudflap from our old motor home and I intend to mount it on the rear of our TT. I will sometimes be pulling a 2nd trailer, a 15 foot sail boat (boat and trailer wouldn't weigh over 250# and I had a Class 3 hitch welded on the back of the TT), and I'd like to protect it. The mudflap is split into 3" segments. I haven't noticed any other TTs with one so, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on any of this.
Tony Zornik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Is it legal to pull a trailer behind a tt? I know you can with a 5th wheel but I didn't think it was legal with a tt. I could be wrong.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
Is it legal to pull a trailer behind a tt? I know you can with a 5th wheel but I didn't think it was legal with a tt. I could be wrong.
Not in most states, from what I've read.
5th wheel mostly o.k.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

One guy at my work pulls a small flat bottom boat on a single axle trailer behind his Springdale twice a year to Council and back without a problem but he does so slowly.

Personally I'd rather do something like this or bring two rigs.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #5

"Triple Towing"

These are good questions and well founded concerns. None of the Atlantic States allow it, and Washington and Oregon don't either. Here is a link that lists the states that allow it, and discusses all the triple towing (some call it double towing) issues. In the first article they recommend contacting the DMVs of the states we plan to travel through. There are overall length restrictions in most states. Nevada allows it, but I'd be really nervous driving through Las Vegas with two trailers, anytime really, but especially during rush hour.

There is also another issue. Most TTs are not designed to have much of a load on the rear of the frame. Some people have pulled a fairly big second trailer and have broken the TT frame behind the axles. My little boat tongue weight is about 40#.

Another issue is sway. The two bumper pull trailers are inclined to wag the dog more than a bumper pull trailer behind a 5th wheel. And also, since the train is so long (for me 70 feet), the driver has to make really wide turns.

https://bishsrv.wordpress.com/2012/0...-need-to-know/

Here is a more detailed listing for the permitting states:

State Towing Laws

Tony
Old 12-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #6

Being able to see the second trailer.

There is also the challenge of being able to see the second trailer. Our little boat trailer is only 4 feet wide, so we have a back-up camera on the back of the trailer to let us watch it while driving.

Tony
Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 AM   #7

The second trailer

Thanks, Ford Idaho. I think that would be better, too. However, our tow vehicle is a Suburban. Thinking on it though, it we had wheels for the back of the little boat, we could roll it up to the back of the Suburban and hoist it onto the roof. I see people carrying small aluminum fishing boats that way. The downside of that method would be more lifting, and my back has about had it with lifting. The small boat trailer lets us launch it with the tow vehicle. It is lots harder than I thought it was to pull 250# up a steep boat ramp by hand.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
One guy at my work pulls a small flat bottom boat on a single axle trailer behind his Springdale twice a year to Council and back without a problem but he does so slowly.

Personally I'd rather do something like this or bring two rigs.

I question the slight nose down on the trailer and the extreme nose up on the truck. It's a dually, and certainly a heavier truck, so the total weight is probably not a concern. More drop on the hitch and maybe air bags?

cheers
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
I question the slight nose down on the trailer and the extreme nose up on the truck. It's a dually, and certainly a heavier truck, so the total weight is probably not a concern. More drop on the hitch and maybe air bags?

cheers
I just pulled that IMG because of the way the boat is loaded, moot because Tony Zornik TV is a Suburban.

Due to that a second rig would be the better way to go IMO, a 250 pound boat should tow well behind most vehicles with a factory installed hitch.

The upside is he can go sailing while the boss goes for grub...

Old 12-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

TT mud flaps
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20mud%20flaps
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #11

You want some Hula Skirt like UPS uses for mudflaps on their trailers.
It's a long stringy fiber-you've seen it behind Motor Homes I'm sure.
JC Whitney has it.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
It is refered to as "Triple Towing" and here is a site which lists the laws state by state. You have to scroll all the way to the right to see if two trailers is allowed in the individual states. I live in Louisiana and frequently pull a 14' aluminum fishing boat behind my camper, if we are camping, we are also fishing!

State Towing Laws