Old 09-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Funky Smell

Getting ready to go to Hatteras for a few days. Picked up the Windjammer finally got it in my drive, opened everything up, scrubbed it down pretty good inside , cleaned floors , cabinets etc. Still have a funky smell inside, all the windows have been open all day and running fans along with a air cleaner. Its not mildew. I have the roof vents which always stays open, I thought with them open it would aid in air circulation. My DW is very sensitive to odors, so I am unable to spray anything inside. What do you do in such a situation. I am hoping Hatteras will be somewhat cool with a breeze so I can air it out some more. Any suggestions ??? The camper is less than a year old, after every trip all food items are removed and surfaces cleaned.

Chuck " leaving Va for a few days "

Old 09-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

What kind of smell Chuck? Do you use tank deodorizer? I add the deodorizer every time I empty the galley/ gray water tank. I have a 2014 v-lite. No odors. I also flush all the tanks out when I'm packing to leave.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Zeolite is great stuff for removing odors of any kind. The zeolite has no odor, it absorbs the
Odors and is reusable. As asked above what kind of odor? Misty, formaldehyde, sewer etc?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #4

Did you make sure there was a little water in the toilet to keep the seal wet and keep holding tank odors from coming up. Be generous w it deodorizer in the tank as well during off use times.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

Chuck, didn't I see a thread that you parked in your son's driveway and on a slope? If so, maybe some rain water has drained the wrong way and seeped in a crack somewhere and caused mildew between a slide or seam in the AC.

Help us with what kind of smell/odor and maybe we can give suggestions.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

I flush and clean the tanks, and add tank deodorizer after every trip. So its not that, could be mildew, kinda cross between a musty smell and insecticide ( if that makes any sense ) I will get some type of odor absorber to keep in the camper when its stored. Its stored at my sons home, and I think the next door neighbor sprays insecticide for ants. I have owned and still own boats so I am familiar with the mildew they get in the cabins. I have looked everywhere I can to see if some animal crawled in there and died. I am at a loss. Hopefully a 3 hour trip with the top vents open will air it out. I am leaving the fans and air cleaner running over night to see if that helps.

Chuck " I am leaving Va tomorrow !!! "
Old 09-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #7

Think I found the culprit. Stopped by the RV dealer this am, talked with the guys in service. They feel that the smell I am getting is from my water remaining in the plumbing. When I last used the TT, about a month ago I cleaned the black and grey holding tanks, and emptied what remained in the fresh water tank. Then put the trailer in storage, the "FUNK" arrived when I was getting ready for another trip. They suggested that I flush the system with bleach , by putting bleach in the water system and adding some water. All after by passing the hot water heater. Using the pump run the bleach through the system. Well I used about 1 1/2 gallons of bleach, it should be clean now. Hope is solves the problem, can't really tell now all I can smell is bleach. If this works next time break camp . I will drain the low point drains and open the faucets. I will check it later to see if the smell has gone. If that's not it I will yell for more advice..

Chuck "still trying to get outta Va "
Old 09-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

I had a similar problem a few years back on my grandparents camper. I would have used bleach personally just like yourself but they had purchased Fresh Water Deodorizer and sanitizer. I can't remember the exact name but, that's basically what it was. I ended up dumping it into an empty hose and then when I hooked up the fresh water at the campground it pushed the cleaner right in.

If you don't want to use your pump to do it, that's just another option.

It should certainly be cleaned up with that much bleach, probably need to run more than a few gallons through the system to clear it up!

Enjoy the trip!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #9

Well I left the bleach and water mixture in the fresh water tank for 24 hours. This morning turned the on the faucet and while the water was running some black particles came out, so the fresh water tank along with the plumbing is clean. I also had 2 air cleaners along with 2 fans running to circulate the air. The original funky odor is still present, although not as strong but none the less still present. I placed some air fresheners beads from lowes in the TT, according to the directions they will help clean the air. I talked to the rv dealer and they have no one that does major cleaning jobs for odors. They said that they usually just spray air freshener and eventually it takes care of the odor. I have scrubbed the floor and walls with a vinegar and water mixture, my next effort will be cleaning the couch and dinette with some cleaner. Any other suggestions out there, I find it hard to believe that I can't get rid of the odor . The TT just can't be used till the odor is gone, this may just take a while.

Chuck "still in Va "
Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #10

Think a good airing out will complete the process.