Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #101

NFPA 30 - Flammable & Combustible Liquids Code

Enforceable under OSHA and many state and local regulations, NFPA 30 provides safeguards to reduce the hazards associated with the storage, handling, and use of flammable and combustible liquids. The gas stations MUST comply with this because of OSHA - that's why they will shut you off for fueling in an unapproved container or smoking near the pumps.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #102

Some things are just common sense, like smoking around gas stations. If you did everything by what the do gooders say you wouldn’t have time to camp. The government is in our lives to much as it is.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #103

I agree, but if you look at some of the morons lurking about, you understand why. None of us would consider filling a 30 gallon garbage can with gasoline but its been done!!! I think we have beat this to death so I am tapping out.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Number one we aren’t in Europe or the U.K. I wonder how many of those 5,000 explosions we because of cars catching on fire or people smoking or drive off with the nozzle still in the tank. I wonder how many of those were because of a rv refrigerator trying to lite out of probably a billion fill ups.

I'm trying to assess your argument that we aren't in the UK. Are you implying chemistry isn't the same there? Maybe the fuel vapors dissapate differently in the UK so we can ignore their research? The fact is, repetition has caused a general lack if concern for the dangers at fuel stations. 1 in 13 service stations experience a fire/explosion do to negligence in a four year period. Your discounting a study because "we aren't in Europe" is key in this willful ignorance.

Cars catch in fire at gas stations typically because of the fuel rich environment and the flashpoint of that environment. I looked at the data I have on hand, and in the last six years, not one pump started on fire because someone drove off with the nozzle in the tank. Yes, fires at fuel stations have been reduced by over 77% in the last 15 year. This doesn't mean the danger isn't there. I'll be the first to admit that laziness overcomes safety many times in my life, but I would never scoff at the danger of it, nor the data that proves it.

Dangers in the US are strange, some are afraid to fly, so they drive, and in so doing take a nearly 7X greater risk. We protest police shootings, while your still more likely to be killed by lightning. We outlaw straws to protect three fish a year from dying, but we let a perfect stranger take our kids to school in a vehicle with no seatbelts.

But to get back to the OPs original question, there is nothing I can see that would raise your overall risk by driving with the furnace on.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47driver View Post
I'm trying to assess your argument that we aren't in the UK. Are you implying chemistry isn't the same there? Maybe the fuel vapors dissapate differently in the UK so we can ignore their research? The fact is, repetition has caused a general lack if concern for the dangers at fuel stations. 1 in 13 service stations experience a fire/explosion do to negligence in a four year period. Your discounting a study because "we aren't in Europe" is key in this willful ignorance.

Cars catch in fire at gas stations typically because of the fuel rich environment and the flashpoint of that environment. I looked at the data I have on hand, and in the last six years, not one pump started on fire because someone drove off with the nozzle in the tank. Yes, fires at fuel stations have been reduced by over 77% in the last 15 year. This doesn't mean the danger isn't there. I'll be the first to admit that laziness overcomes safety many times in my life, but I would never scoff at the danger of it, nor the data that proves it.

Dangers in the US are strange, some are afraid to fly, so they drive, and in so doing take a nearly 7X greater risk. We protest police shootings, while your still more likely to be killed by lightning. We outlaw straws to protect three fish a year from dying, but we let a perfect stranger take our kids to school in a vehicle with no seatbelts.

But to get back to the OPs original question, there is nothing I can see that would raise your overall risk by driving with the furnace on.

You didn’t answer my question about how many of those 5,000 fires at a gas station was started by a rv refrigerator. I want to see the facts as you say that a rv refrigerator is causing fires at fuel stations. Europe is probably worse than the US of protecting people from the cradle to the grave. I had a rv refrigerator and it was never turned off like most people do. I said I won’t run my furnace because the one time I did it I used all my propane. I don’t have a rv refrigerator anymore. My truck hooked up to my camper has never been in a fuel station
Old 12-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #106
D W

This thread has not only gone sideways, it's gone off the rails!

MODERATORS: Please close this thread and end this madness.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 12-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #107

I don’t tow with my furnace on but I can see where some would, have a warm camper when you get to the campground. My camper is insulated pretty good but I try to travel when it’s warm or above freezing when I’m traveling. Everyone is different
Old 12-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #108
Site Team

This thread is being closed. The thread has wandered from a good discussion with inputs from both sides to some bad info and finally into argumentative and baiting posts.

The Site Team

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Closed Thread

Tags
heater, towing