Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tahoe1840's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lake Tahoe
Posts: 128
Furrion Backup Cameras

Fellow RVer's, Forest River has installed on many of its models the Furrion Backup Camera housing. Has anyone of you found a third party vendor of the Furrion model FOS48TA-BL ($499) or their other cheaper model FRC12TA-BL ($399) camera? I'm wondering if a third party vendor may be a wee cheaper.
__________________

__________________
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Adams County, PA
Posts: 1,987
Amazon sells them.
__________________

__________________
2016 Grey Wolf 26rr
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Member
 
justwinginit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 82
Furion seems to be the name brand Forrest River likes. My TVs and micro/convection oven are Furion. Never heard of the brand before. I don't know if the convection oven works correctly or I just can't figure it out. It may be just I can't figure how to use it properly
__________________
Mike and Cathy
Plant City, Fl
justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,603
I tried the Furrion on my trailer (31 ft) and a friends' 35 ft Keystone. Very poor image quality and lots of interference. Maybe better on a shorter unit but definitely not good out to the advertised 100 ft. Plus, it has the separate monitor.

Went with the Sharx hi def system which works over plain wifi and displays a fantastic image on the iPhone and iPad.
__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tahoe1840's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lake Tahoe
Posts: 128
Thanks

Rmac, thanks, I looked all over Amazon but apparently I was not getting the search right, I found them!! Thanks again
__________________
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwinginit View Post
Furion seems to be the name brand Forrest River likes. My TVs and micro/convection oven are Furion. Never heard of the brand before. I don't know if the convection oven works correctly or I just can't figure it out. It may be just I can't figure how to use it properly

Forest River assembles garbage using other garbage supplied for the most part from "Lippert Components", purveyors of frames that crack, jacks that break, and slideout mechanisms that crap out at the most inopportune moment. Forest River, and about every other manufacturer, likes Lippert components because the stuff they make is cheap. Furrion, who for the most part is just a brand name on junk they contract having made in China, is now in bed with Lippert components. That is why Forest River likes them. That is not a good thing for anyone buying a new unit.

Anytime a manufacturer installs something "for free" that is proprietary to a system from another entity, and the end user must pay to activate it, it usually sucks. They give the brackets to Forest River hoping that a certain percentage of suckers will buy the overpriced Furrion garbage.

RVBusiness, November-December 2015
__________________
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Forest River assembles garbage using other garbage supplied for the most part from "Lippert Components", purveyors of frames that crack, jacks that break, and slideout mechanisms that crap out at the most inopportune moment. Forest River, and about every other manufacturer, likes Lippert components because the stuff they make is cheap. Furrion, who for the most part is just a brand name on junk they contract having made in China, is now in bed with Lippert components. That is why Forest River likes them. That is not a good thing for anyone buying a new unit.

Anytime a manufacturer installs something "for free" that is proprietary to a system from another entity, and the end user must pay to activate it, it usually sucks. They give the brackets to Forest River hoping that a certain percentage of suckers will buy the overpriced Furrion garbage.

RVBusiness, November-December 2015
x2.

Interesting article in the publication you linked. I've mentioned before that I've tried the Furrion cameras and, saying it nicely...they are pretty close to pure junk. I have attempted to contact them..all I get is voice mail and unreturned messages. I don't think I have any Furrion products in my RV but for those that do all I can say is "Good Luck".

For those of y'all who have the Furrion mount so graciously supplied by FR, consider yourself lucky because when you install a real rear view camera you won't have to go through the hassle of running a power wire and ground to your new install. Just remove the really cheap quality Furrion mounting case and cut the end off the connection. Deposit in the closest trash can.
__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
SYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Burton, MI.
Posts: 4,115
I installed a Voyager Back Up Camera, they are a Jensen Product
Voyager 5 6" Wireless RV Observation Back Up Camera Monitor System WVOS511 | eBay
__________________
Scott & Vicki
2018 Silverado 3500HD Dually 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2018 Columbus 366RL 1492 Edition
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
Blog: RVroadtripper.com
 
hbillsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Near Dallas Texas
Posts: 737
The Furrion 48 works great. I have had both the Forest R supplied 12 and now the 48 that Furrion replaced it with for free. Night and day improvement. My opinion is that all negative camera reviews for Furrion are the 12 model. By the way you can get a 20% discount at the Furrion website if you simply and freely register.
__________________
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
The Furrion 48 works great. I have had both the Forest R supplied 12 and now the 48 that Furrion replaced it with for free. Night and day improvement. My opinion is that all negative camera reviews for Furrion are the 12 model. By the way you can get a 20% discount at the Furrion website if you simply and freely register.
Maybe your correct however $399 ( $320 with the discount you mention) is a hefty chunk of change for the 12 that clearly is a piece of junk. $499 ($399 discounted) is even heftier for the 48 that supposedly works although I have not read many great reviews for it. Your original camera apparently came "with" your unit and when it was found to be junk Furrion/LCI appeased you by giving you the upgrade. Would you have purchased this stuff at those prices if you would have been in the situation that most are where all you get is a mounting bracket? Search around and you'll find all the posts about the Furrion TV's and how they fail. I installed the Furrion 30 amp power connector on my last trailer and within a year the entire assembly had deteriorated from UV to the point it fell apart. I couldnt get so much as a response from Furrion so that tells me their warranty is not worth the paper its printed on.
__________________

__________________
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.