Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
Retired

Furrion TV went kaput

Our 2015 Windjammer has a Furrion 29” LED HD TV (original equipment). A few weeks ago when the power button was pressed the power indicator light turned green and quickly returns to red. Now the power indicator light does not illuminate when plugged in or when the power button is pressed. The manual does not cover this situation but I have replaced the batteries in the remote, unplugged the tv thinking it might reset itself when plugged in (wrong) and as of now no luck with the tv powering up. There is power at the outlet.

Furrion does not sell the 29" anymore... 32" & 24" are available unfortunately the 32" will not fit. Samsung sells a 28" but not familiar with brand.
Question: What brand of TV do you have in your RV and do you recommend it as a replacement for the Furrion ?

Thanks for your response.

Happy Trails
Old 06-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

I've got a Samsung and have had not troubles with it for the last 7 years it's been in our unit. I also have had the same experience with the one in my house.....
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #3

Samsung makes a good tv. Had nothing but those in our house until we got the 70 - had to go with a sharp then. Couple of the older Samsung ones we had are still working for the people they went to and are more than 10 years old.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Enjoying Life

Samsung makes a very good television. It should give you good service.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #5

I had to replace my Check on twice. Both times under warranty. Finally got tired of meshing with it. Bought a Vizio. Great tv
rreitmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Some of the brands (like furrion) are meant for RV (rough) service. Other brands for RV use,, that I know of, are Jensen and Skyworth. Both are good and most models are available in 12 volt.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #7

We have a Toshiba in our Windjammer and it has worked fine for 5 years. We have the same model in our house. Samsung, though, is a good name in TV sets and builds a quality product. I would say you can't go wrong with either of these sets. Panasonic is also a very good brand. Also, so far, we have used an Element TV (a Target brand) in our kitchen and it has worked well so far. It is a 4K, but, picture quality compared to our Panasonic isn't as good. Main thing after a good brand is does it fit, and how much does it weigh compared to the old one. You may want to try for a 4K set as well. Good stores to check out are Costco, Sam's Club, Best Buy, and Target. There are also on line stores like B & H that also sell the sets. You should be able to keep your same mount with any of these if you check the VESA mount size to be sure it fits your new set.
Some of the newer sets have very thin bezels (or none) and for your measurements, you should measure the opening and compare it with the new set you are thinking of. You may find that you can get a "larger" set (picture wise) in the same space because there is a smaller or no bezel. Some sets have an inch to an inch and a half bezel and you loose that space that could have been picture. Bring a measuring tape to the store and check it. You may find you can get an extra couple of inches of picture in the same space as your old set and that is a plus. I am assuming you are not running it on 12V since our Windjammer didn't have a 12V TV.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
Professional Texan

I just replaced my TV with a 24" Samsung. What an improvement on the picture. It is a great TV. The one I got was a smart TV so when you have internet service you have a wider variety of viewing options. I bought at Walmart for less than $150.00

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #9

I have always liked the samsung line of products. But can't recommend them and will buy very few if any in the future. The issue is their lack of customer care or service. I am one of the unfortunate ones who have a washer that could explode they offered me less the a quater of what it cost to replace the washer that was less then 3 years old. The claimed to have called me several times to repair but if they did they didn't leave a message and nothing ever came up on caller id. The repair that b they offer is to disable a feature that was a major selling point and have a direct tv (yes the satalite tv provider won the bid to make the repairs) tech come and add an extra plate so when it goes kaboom it co tains the damage
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Some of the brands (like furrion) are meant for RV (rough) service. Other brands for RV use,, that I know of, are Jensen and Skyworth. Both are good and most models are available in 12 volt.
I have never seen any objective reviews showing those brands as any more durable for RV use. The only thing they have truly going for them is 12v models and some of the others have that as well.

2006 Durango HEMI

Old 06-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #11

furrion do you keep itin the trailer?

Reading this thread got me thinking. Bought a new trailer in January at the Tampa RV show. It came with a nice TV installed in the rig. We live in FL which is seriously humid all summer. Just wondering if others keep the TV in the coach during storage or unbolt it and store it inside in an air conditioned environment than re-install it when you venture out.
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Reading this thread got me thinking. Bought a new trailer in January at the Tampa RV show. It came with a nice TV installed in the rig. We live in FL which is seriously humid all summer. Just wondering if others keep the TV in the coach during storage or unbolt it and store it inside in an air conditioned environment than re-install it when you venture out.
Most TVs can operate safely in rooms or areas in which temperatures range from 50° F to 104° F (10° C to 40° C). Temperatures outside the listed range will negatively affect the operation of your TV. Most TVs can be stored unused at temperatures ranging from -4° to 113° Fahrenheit (-20° to 45° C). Most TVs will work fine in humidity from 10% - 80%. The best way to ensure your TV doesn't experience any humidity-related problems is to keep your television inside, in a room where the temperature and humidity can be controlled within the set's standard operating specifications. This will ensure that you get the longest life possible out of your LCD TV. Many people will use some type of moisture reducer, like damp-rid, to control the humidity inside the RV.

2006 Durango HEMI

Old 06-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Considering that most TV's cross the ocean in a hot container in the hold of a container ship I don't think high temperatures when not operating is not a problem. Now freezing weather is another issue.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #14

Samsung makes a very good TV, we have 3 in our home, never had a problem with them.
Ronjon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #15

Sad, it appears you are out the $9.99 it was worth to begin with.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #16

Where did you find this information?
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #17

After 2 years our 38" Furrion went kaput on the road. replaced with Samsung 40". Had to slightly enlarge holes in mounting plate by drilling to match the size of the female receptacles on back of tv and buy different diameter screws (metric) to match the Samsung tv. Bought at Costco and came with two year warranty then purchased 3 year extended warranty for $30 ? Total of 5 years. With tv prices as they are they basically are disposables It has worked great Have Samsung TVs in home for years- no problems -good picture.
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #18

We have an RCA 28" LED HD with built in dvd player that we use in the bedroom and hang it outside when we watch tv or want to watch a movie. Bought less than $200.00 if 28in is what you are looking for RCA. pretty good brand. Got it on line under tv/dvd combo. And have a 32 in vizio for living room and have not had any problems in 4 years with either one.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #19

Congratulations Texas Bob on your new TV. Just be careful and THOROUGHLY read the instruction manual on the "smart" TVs. Some of them can violate your privacy and collect information you may want to keep private. Samsung was one of the brands that did that. You can turn it off, but, you should make sure it is off if you want privacy. It picks up your voice just like the "smart" helpers like Google and Siri and others do and can send them to the cloud and collection points that commercial companies can use to target you for all sorts of advertising. Some people have also been caught in legal problems because they were "overheard" by these things. One night my son-in-law, who had installed a google unit in our house, overheard that we needed a light turned on and he turned it on - from a different city! Just read the instructions carefully!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #20

Vizio at Costco.
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote