Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Gas or electric golf cart????

Hi all,
Searched the forum and got little real world info. Most campgrounds in Ohio allow gas golf carts so that is not the issue.
The issue is gas or electric with teenage boys.
I have been researching for weeks and I really like the newer (2005 and up) Club Car Precedent 48V electric carts. Nice and quiet and when Ohio finally outlaws the gas carts, I would not get stuck with a gas cart.
The trouble is that even with brand new batteries, they say you get 30 - 40 miles or 2 hours of pedal time. (8 to 10 hour charge time) Does not seem like I will get to run to the camp store or the pool when it is my turn? (perfect for just the wife and I though)
Does anyone here have an electric cart and own a couple teenagers? How do the batteries hold up when they are out cruising for the fun to be had when the parents are not around?
Gas carts are said to get 400 miles per tank of gas. I think gas might be the way to go but the DW does not want to get stuck with a gas cart.
Any real world advice would be a big help. The golf cart would be a huge draw for our kids and they might even want to come along more. lol
TIA,
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #2

Friends have both types. Batteries are expensive when they need to be replaced, but electric carts are alot quieter. Gas carts are alot more maintainance and need to be winterized like a lawn mower in the winter. If it were me I'd go electric and know you're good to go when the Ohio law goes into effect.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Resident Masshole

I would go gas for one reason: range

My step dad has had both over the years. My brothers and I would take them out in the woods and fire lanes until the wee hours.

The only time we ever had to walk home was when the electric one ran out of juice.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

Just a follow up to this post.
I picked up my cart yesterday. I went with a Club Car Precedent 48V electric cart. Got a fair deal on it with 2012 batteries. Ran the cart an equivalent of 15 times to the front and back of our favorite campground and still going strong. (about 1/2 mile each way)
Will have more than enough power/run time for me, the wife and younger boy. We'll see this coming weekend at a campground in New York
The neighbors probably all got tired of me going back and forth so many times through the neighborhood

Love how quiet it is compared to the gas carts. The cart goes around 11MPH (programmable to 19MPH) but the campground is posted for 10MPH. All good! .The older boy thinks it is a cool cart but boringly slow so that is a good thing.
crunchman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0008.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	32777   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0018.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	32778   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0017.jpg