Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #21

I agree with ProCharger

I agree with ProCharger some people just like to complain or blow their complaints out of proportion. We have a 2015 Puma 25RS a Forest River product. We have been from British Columbia to the East Coast of Canada and north to Dawson City Yukon and up a bit on the Dempster Highway. We are very happy with our unit. A bad tv and a need to replace the power cord and a cross threaded wheel nut. (discovered when i rotated the tires). The tv could have happened to any tv you buy in a store.. it failed almost immediately. The end of the power cord started to seperate no big deal there could even have been me that caused it. The wheel nut, I am guessing, was crossed threaded when the wheel was attached at the factory. Glad i found out in my driveway with air tools handy. Bottom line i have brand new cars and trucks with more problems. I have been rv'ing, just so you know since 1973 in everything from true tent trailers you remember those a box on wheels with a canves top to pop ups as they are called now a couple of motor homes, (new and used) tents and a couple off travel trailers and have never really had a serious complaint. I would buy another one from my local dealer if and when I need an upgrade.

Our current unit now has 50-60,000km of cross Canada traveling and expect to have as much more in the coming years. Okay I am now rambling so will get back to reading the forum for my entertainment

P.S. Been RV'ing for 45years guess when I hit 50 years I won't be a Junior Member here any more.
ramsaytwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #22

There are lemons out there by every manufacturer, but there are 100x more good ones.
I have owned several different brands, on my second FR so my first one wasn't that bad. LOL
We had a couple of minor issues, got them repaired and loved the unit till the day we sold it to move up to a 5er.
IMHO it is more about the dealer and how they handle a problem than anything.
My all time favorite RV we owned was a Gulfstream. The dealer SUCKED, but Gulfstream telephone support was so good I fixed everything myself except a cabinet which they sent a new one to a different dealer and had them install it.

So, I really wouldn't worry about your unit till you need to. Your just giving yourself grey hairs.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobergcamper View Post
Just purchased a Forest River Wildwood 27 REI. Then I read some reviews.......
Wring way to do it I guess. But... Are they really this bad?
If you look there will be bad reviews on any model or make unless you plan on paying a huge price for a custom RV. Are there any makes that are perfect, probably not. Is a Forest River worse than any other definitely not.

We have owned two Pumas and now a Wildwood, we have no complaints and would do it again.

Not sure where you read the reviews or how bad is "this bad" but, as others have said more will complain. The numerous Happy campers" that will not say how good they are. Also many issues tend to be self inflicted........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #24

I did the same thing, we looked at trailers for years and finally decided on the one we purchased. It wasn’t until a few days later after I had signed and given my deposit that I started searching for reviews. Of course I was able to find some terrible reviews and almost no good ones. After spending 30+ plus nights in it with three kids and a dog I am happy with my purchase. Haven’t really had any issues with the trailer outside a few quick fixes and improvements that I did but these were expected on a new 26’ trailer that rang up out the door under $15k. I would definitely buy another one. Getting a good dealer for service after the sale is another story. I know where I am not purchasing my next one.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #25

General Forest River Question

We bought our first 2015 Cedar Creek 36 CK fifth wheel and love it. We spend 3 months every year for the 3 years and have minor problems. As long as you keep up the regular maintenance, drive safe and wash & wax it will be a happy home and adventure. We live in New England and went across country last year to CA. Not one problem. I hope to keep my home on wheels for at least 10 years. But if I have to buy another it would be a Forest River AGAIN I know how scared you would feel with the complaints after putting your name on the dotted line. If you have ANY problems this forum is EXCELLENT to help you please don’t be afraid to ask. This is how we all learn to have a safe and happy life & travels. Welcome and enjoy
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #26
Bene Gesserit Rule

We have had our FR HG 28RLT 5'er for just over two years now. Lots of things have broken, major parts replaced because they couldn't take the weight or strain of road life, failed because of ignorance and inexperience on my part, and so on. To date we have made about 6 short-ish trips to sites in our home state and two major interstate trips, one was about 10,000km the 2nd over 25,000kms, (a half-loop of Australia).

Even with the frustrations of things breaking and failing, we still love being in it. If you want to travel the roads and see your country the slow way, AND you want to be comfortable in all weathers, this is the only way to go.

Be aware of the pitfalls and potential failures, know that sellers, resellers and warranty owners will ignore you now and forever, but don't be put off by that or them. You need to develop the RV campers credo of "it will break, some time and in the worst place, but we will fix it eventually and move on".

Also be aware that RV people (mostly) are the friendliest and most helpful folk you will find and will try to help you through any difficulty you get stuck with, but you may have to ask.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #27

We've had our Trilogy for almost 3 years with us fulltiming in it for nearly 2 years now and it has been basically trouble free. Our good friends had a Landmark for about 1.5 years and had so many problems they got rid of it for a Mobile Suites and he has had many issues with it too. Both are Thor products. We have never been to a FROG rally but from what we've heard, they're the best. We retire later this year and then plan to attend a FROG rally.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #28

FR Products

As a rule, the actual construction of my 2014 Wildwood gas been great. However, with any trailer I 'd buy today, I would have n expert check axle alignment and probably change out the tires.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 PM   #29

My suggestion would be with any unit with in the first year while it is under warranty take it out as much as you can, So if anything goes wrong it will be fixed under warranty.

Happy Camping.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 AM   #30

We have had our 2016 Cardinal 3450RL since purchased new a few years ago. We love it and wouldn't go back to our old travel trailer for anything. We have used it extensively and in every type of weather condition. One minor problem when we first bought it, but FR authorized a repair right at my home, and you would never know it ever was a problem, (small crack in shower floor, epoxied, color matched, and done without even pulling it to a repair facility). We are happy, to say nothing of the comfort and quality.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #31

Bedroom escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsteele View Post
We have put 6000 miles on our 2017 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 5th wheel and had a pretty significant problem getting the tank level displays to work. (There was a recall on this item and it finally got fixed. I think.) We also had no egress window in the bedroom, which was a design error - didn't meet the standards they say they adhere to. But the factory came up with a modification and we are happy with it. Other minor items I have fixed myself. Overall we are very happy with it.
What did they do to modify the lack of escape window in the bed area? We have a 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th wheel and I have been nervous about the lack of escape.
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobergcamper View Post
Just purchased a Forest River Wildwood 27 REI. Then I read some reviews.......
Wring way to do it I guess. But... Are they really this bad?
If it is an RV or Manufactured Home,,, your going to have problems !!!
As long as you are handy you can fix many of them yourself !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #33

Let me add to the chorus. . . we have a 2012 Forest River Flagstaff V-lite with front kitchen and would do it all over again. We've travelled all over the eastern part of the U.S. and usually end of giving tours because people see me wave hello from the kitchen window! Forest River did quality and uniqueness on this one!
I would agree with the one post that said many problems happen because people overload the heck out of them and expect them not to fail.
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #34

As your asking about a Wildwood and not much higher end brands Forest River also makes I want to make my response specifically about your brand. You have a product that needs more preparation and your constant maintenance through the years to keep up the structure and components.
Wildwoods will tend to be very "showy" that is where they are spending the money that is put ito your unit. If you can't see it then they have used the least expensive product available ( ie osb flooring versus plywood in a Catalina by coachmen and Forest River).
Despite this you can have a trailer you love for years but it requires you to be vigilant on the Pdi the dealer has done especially in exterior caulking. Water will be the biggest enemy to your unit and if you are on it every year you will be happy with your purchase. A slidetopper would a good purchase on your unit for longterm durability. When its time to replace tires simply put on better ones than you got and make those small upgrades as you go along. All the best and safe travels
Primorver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river