Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

General Forest River question.

Just purchased a Forest River Wildwood 27 REI. Then I read some reviews.......
Wring way to do it I guess. But... Are they really this bad?
jobergcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #2

I purchased a Hertige Glen last spring. After joining this group I was nervous myself. I wouldn't worry much. Ive had a few minor things that would be typical with a new unit but over all am very happy. I think a lot of the issues and complaints are blown up by upset people or there may be some real lemons out there. That was not the case with my new unit. ( not yet any ways)
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #3

You don't often hear from the happy owners that have no problems. For every complaint there are much much more happy owners that never post a review.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Working at retired:D

New last year 2017 Wildcat 301RES TT. Minor issues. Very happy with the camper.

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2017 Ford F-250
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #5

We have our second Cedar Creek, we have had a few problems but would I buy again, YES in a heartbeat
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn’t dream of owning a non forest river unit. No complaints about mine and even if there was, they tend to make it all right. If you get a chance to see them in action at the Frog International Rally, you’ll see what I’m talking about.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #7

I’m on no.2 and would buy another. The only problems with the first unit were on appliance type items. The only problems with the current unit(so far) were the infamous WH circuit board and an improperly adjusted slide(not square in hole).
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #8

My forest river wildcat 31ts has not had any major issues. a couple of small things that the dealer took care of when it was new. very pleased with the 5th and would look at the new models if I wanted a new unit
Denny in Los Lunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #9

Love my Forest River Heritage Glen!
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #10

We have put 6000 miles on our 2017 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 5th wheel and had a pretty significant problem getting the tank level displays to work. (There was a recall on this item and it finally got fixed. I think.) We also had no egress window in the bedroom, which was a design error - didn't meet the standards they say they adhere to. But the factory came up with a modification and we are happy with it. Other minor items I have fixed myself. Overall we are very happy with it.
bobsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #11

I’m on my 3rd FR RV. If that doesn’t tell you something I don’t know what would.

Keep in mind, these things are rolling houses. Most people overload them thinking they can take any abuse given. Pack them reasonably and use them with care and they’ll take care of you in return.

Just like someone said before. People are fast to post a complaint and slow to praise.

You’ll be fine.

[emoji41][emoji631]
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #12

Love our FR Cherokee. It’s great quality for being a TT. It’s not built like a house, but it’s built well to last several years with minor DIY up keep
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobergcamper View Post
Proud owner of a Wildwood 281qbxl. It’s a 2014. It has served us well. Been towed about 10k miles. We have had minor use related things go wrong with it but we purchased it for 16500 new (it was a leftover) and feel like we got a steal. It’s been super reliable. Light on storage space but heavy on fun and function.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #14
Billsgocasa

product has functioned well

Have a Forest River 2014 Solera with 43,000 miles and no problems to date except a few minor external items so very happy with unit and impressed with the Sprinter 3500 unit and engine performance.
William Mangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #15

We are very pleased with our 2013 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light, 8315BSS. No major issues excellent fit and finish. Like said in earlier posts, most of the posts are from folks that have had issues, the ones you don't hear about are the happy owners that have been properly taken care of by their dealers and FR.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobergcamper View Post
Who told you they were bad? My 2010 Flagstaff head to my other problem is one major problem. The dealer fix the two minor once problems immediately.. The major problem. Actually when the trailer was out of warranty. They pick the trailer up at my local dealer brought it back to the factory, Repaired it and Head it back to me in four weeks. Great job. Other than those Three issues, it has been a great trailer.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #17

The more you pay the higher the quality level. It pays to research many components and know what you are getting. We took a year and paid $10,000 more than we had originally thought to get better quality.

Any factory can have a bad day. They are custom made by people.

Considering the thousands of units they make a year you have to take negative comments as they are. Not a large percent.

Keep in mind that your vehicle is often subjected to serious earthquakes(potholes), rainstorms, 70 mile per hour winds. You best be handy.

That is hard on them.

So do a good PDI to make sure you get what you paid for. You will be fine.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #18
Just A Member

We have a 2013 Flagstaff 31 ft. super lite. Purchased it new. Good stuff. We pull an average of 5K miles a year. It is outside all day every day. It has held up well to the weather and to the travel. Everything works and works well. The only issue was tires and that was taken care of the first year. I am on record, Forest River makes a good product in the Flagstaff line. I bet you will be pleased with your purchase, also. Take good care of it!
Old 02-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #19
Do It Yourselfer

We're on our third Forest River and considering our fourth this year. Wouldn't even consider any other brand.
We get the bug every couple of years and have gone thru a Coachman, Grey Wolf and Flagstaff. Nary a Complaint!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I purchased a Hertige Glen last spring. After joining this group I was nervous myself. I wouldn't worry much. Ive had a few minor things that would be typical with a new unit but over all am very happy. I think a lot of the issues and complaints are blown up by upset people or there may be some real lemons out there. That was not the case with my new unit. ( not yet any ways)
We have owner a lot of campers in the last 48 years. The last MH we owned before the Sunseeker did us well for 13 years. The biggest problem was a stuck front caliper brake.

Overall, we were very happy with our Sunseeker. When we got it, we undercoated the entire under body, put seat covers on the cab seats, covers on the dinette seats, and several upgrades before we took our first outing. We do take care of our investments.

On the first extended trip, the floor started to squeak. We contacted FR to get a blueprint of the floor. We were not asking FR to fix it because it was out of warranty. But when I got a look at the flimsy floor design, I did get upset and rightfully so. The structural aluminum tubing .040" wall thickness is less than 3 thicknesses (.045") of a soda can. They are spaced 24 inches or more apart. The gaps between 1" H x 1.5"W tubing is occupied by 1" Styrofoam that flakes and compresses. This is sandwiched by a thin vapor barrier of fiberglass below and 3/8" OSB for the floor. The OSB is covered by vinyl floor covering and provides no structural support.

During the conversation with the factory rep, I was told that type of squeak would not have been covered by warranty-only if caused by water intrusion. I doubt I am blowing this out of proportion.

I can understand every manufacturer is attempting to save weight, but the floor strength should not be sacrificed for a few pounds. We took the RV to a body shop and had the floor reinforced with a steel frame 16" on center.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river