Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #21

[QUOTE=spock123;1301579]I don't think hard of dealers that won't work on a camper they didn't sell. I just find someone that will.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums[/QUOTE

Understandable for many reasons, some good ones. Mobile tech may be a good career path for a young person today. A dealer with extreme overhead at $120 per hour not taking warranty work may do a service suggesting a mobile tech that finds $80 a good amount without a huge building and related expenses.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
Hold on-I'll be right back. I have to go make some pop corn.
So funny. You know where it's going an how long it's going to take to get there lol
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #23

IMHO, the RV manufacturers are expanding, adding on shifts, buying up poor performing companies and anything they can do to keep up with demand. Simply speaking, making money while the getting is good because of low fuel costs. However, I do not see the same with RV retail dealers! They are not growing, just selling RVs. When fuel prices go back, this industry will change.
wzpsjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzpsjm View Post
IMHO, the RV manufacturers are expanding, adding on shifts, buying up poor performing companies and anything they can do to keep up with demand. Simply speaking, making money while the getting is good because of low fuel costs. However, I do not see the same with RV retail dealers! They are not growing, just selling RVs. When fuel prices go back, this industry will change.
CW is adding a 3rd building in Myrtle Beach, being built now. The biggest problem with not keeping up is the number of campsites. Few CGs are expanding, fewer CGs being built. If I only had summer months to vacation I'd not have a camper. Our 5er was parked last May ~~ on the road again Sept 6, day after the holiday.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #25

CW near Akron, OH

I can only speak for the CW near General RV in Akron, OH.

DON'T take it there !! Like someone in a previous post said, they will take it, but the won't tell you how long they want to keep it.

In my experience, I am not happy with either the sales staff or service (or lack of) Departments.

I'm sure some folks are happy with CW there, but I haven't run across any yet.

Cheers
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #26

Roskopf's in Milwaukee also would not service my Rockwood since I had bought it at Camping World, Chicago. They also sold Rockwood's. So I took it to the new CW at Saukville, WI. I had some crummy service there which I figured was because they were brand new and maybe had mechanics that had been working on tractors and farm implements.
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
I see the real issue here is for people who find themselves far from their dealer. Either on vacation or full timing. It isn't always convenient, or possible, to go back.
X2- for many of us leaving it with them for a month for a minor service is unrealistic or geographically not possible.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Majeed View Post
That's what I'm afraid of!! I hear too many horror stories about CW!

Where do you take your unit?

Thanks,
Matt
There are horror stories about just about every dealer out there . one person may have a great experience with one dealer and another will have a horror story to tell about that dealer . it's all a crap shoot
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
I can't blame RV dealers for choosing to only take care of their own... It's a big hassle for them to get warranty work pre-approved, parts ordered, and the actual labor-hours accounted for should they run into the unexpected...

Unlike the auto industry, IMO RV dealers do not make much of a profit on warranty work. In comparison, when Ram replaced my Hemi under warranty the dealer sent Ram a bill for around $12,000 - for something a 3rd party shop can do for around $4,000....)

I work just 10 minutes from General RV & (their competitor) and have family members & friends who have dealt with both. IMO you cannot go wrong with General whereas their competitor has made some of our friends & family members' blood boil...

On a big sale weekend General RV's prices were pretty close to Ohio wholesalers. With my purchase they included a "free" pressurized leak test & re-caulking, "free" WDH & installation, enough store credit to buy essentials, and 2.5 hour PDI (where they adjusted all slide-out cables, awning tracking, etc.) Altogether (2) technicians spent 9 man-hours of labor & we drove it home the same day of purchase. So in the end I feel we actually got MORE for our money than the lowest priced wholesalers...

We've now owned our TT from General RV for 3 years & have never had to take it back for service. IMO they got it right before I drove it off the lot & I couldn't be happier!

It's no different for them to do warranty work on any unit weather they sold it or not . they just refuse to work on what they don't sale thinking next time they will get you to buy from them . i would never buy from a dealer like that .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #30

Go to Neff Bros in Lorain. Good service department.
oh2015fr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
It's no different for them to do warranty work on any unit weather they sold it or not . they just refuse to work on what they don't sale thinking next time they will get you to buy from them . i would never buy from a dealer like that .
I disagree. Any dealer will prep a sold unit 1st. My dealer is delivering 6-15 units 6 days a week. All are selling like crazy. Next comes customers they sold to. Next comes paying customers at full margin. Few have the time or techs to get to anything else.
I don't use my 5er in summer so they know they can work it in. If anything between trips I go to the front of the line. They have a lot of overhead and have bills to pay too.
The next time fuel prices run up or the next recession that work will keep techs busy. In the mean time the mobile techs will come and many will do warranty work.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #32

DON'T use CW they could not fix a bike.have tire going side ways. really what we all have to do is tell all we know not to use them.just maybe Marcus will get the hint.so tired hearing abt their rapid responce team
santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #33
Back On The Go

Closest dealer won't do my warranty work

FR authorized (to sell) dealer near me won't touch warranty work on my Georgetown although they told me they could not (would not) compete on the initial sale with other dealers and had nothing in stock. But, the dealer I bought from is useless as tits on a boarhog and won't even return phone calls, so to me they are all worthless for warranty repairs. FR itself is great but I'm a long ways from Elkhart.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by santara View Post
DON'T use CW they could not fix a bike.have tire going side ways. really what we all have to do is tell all we know not to use them.just maybe Marcus will get the hint.so tired hearing abt their rapid responce team
Best service I ever had is at CW. So,,, the more that stay away the faster they get my work done and do a great job as usual.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #35

Whats best

After our third RV purchase ( 3025 FR Windjammer) and experiences with various dealerships, i have decided the next purchased will be based on a dealers ratings and not a manufactures products. What good is any RV if you can not get it serviced?

No Direction Home
Dylan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1972 View Post
After our third RV purchase ( 3025 FR Windjammer) and experiences with various dealerships, i have decided the next purchased will be based on a dealers ratings and not a manufactures products. What good is any RV if you can not get it serviced?

No Direction Home

That is part of the reason I buy at the same dealer and work with the same people always. Besides, when they see you in the store and for service it may help. I have taken the salesperson I use and my service writer to lunch more than once - that may help as well. I know them beyond simply business now. The guys in parts know my face and I buy there not Amazon most of the time. BTW I request the same tech for work. When the service mgr gives him the work order does he move it up his list? When he helps hook up or explain what he did does that tip help? Does letting the service mgr know if it can sit for a while make a difference?
It is a busy CW but I have developed a relation ship with the employees and 3 managers. I could have saved $2100 buy purchasing my 5er 1050 miles away. I believe they have repaid that along with the time and travel costs in many ways.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #37

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Camping World will NEVER see my RV. Too many horror stories about CW service, or lack thereof.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I have to agree with you. CW, Colfax,NC is a joke. I have a 2016 Cherokee I purchased in Oct. 2015 and they have had it at the shop more than I have camped in it. If you go there with 3 problems you are lucky to leave with one of the three fixed. I hope I never have to deal with them again. I am waiting on another dealer now to fix items that CW was suppose to fix the last time they had it.
campergirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #38

Dealer Not Servicing RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Majeed View Post
I called General RV in their Canton, Ohio location for some warranty work on my 2016 Georgetown 351DS, and I was told that a month ago Service Department received a directive from ownership not to take any motorhomes for service that were not bought directly from General RV!!!
I think this is rotten and unethical. If you are a Georgetown dealer you are, in my opinion, obligated to service these units regardless of where they were bought!!!!

Whatever happened to customer service?
One would think that it does not make sense that any dealer would refuse to service any RV, whether you purchased it there or not, since they make good money doing the work. The only explanation is that they can't handle all the service work that's coming their way. The solution to that is more competition from new service suppliers and I think that's coming. One of our local dealers in Stuart Florida just closed its showroom and does nothing but repairs and servicing now. Also, I am hearing about dealer technicians who quit and are going solo and do repair rigs on your site.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #39

I go to Camper Care in Deerfield on Rt 14. Bud Sworak.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #40

I keep reading these posts...

We have a dealer here in town. They are honest, and good. Everyone that buys there loves them. But boy are they high!

Yet their service is great. They work on anything. The reason they are so behind is not due to not working on a unit they didn't sell, or any such thing......although they DO take care of their customers well! It's due to being good at service and being so far behind because they ARE good at it.

Backwards from what I read here...............usually. I didn't buy there because I saved a cool $29,000! But I'd take it there for major work in a heartbeat!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, service