Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #1

General RV not accepting Georgetowns for service!

I called General RV in their Canton, Ohio location for some warranty work on my 2016 Georgetown 351DS, and I was told that a month ago Service Department received a directive from ownership not to take any motorhomes for service that were not bought directly from General RV!!!
I think this is rotten and unethical. If you are a Georgetown dealer you are, in my opinion, obligated to service these units regardless of where they were bought!!!!

Whatever happened to customer service?
Matt Majeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Yep, the RV industry is a different animal than the vehicle industry. Fair or not, it is what it is. FR even warns of such on their website:

Forest River RV Dealer Locator - Forest River, Inc.

Thor even states similar:

https://thormotorcoach.com/RV-Dealers/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #3

Hold on-I'll be right back. I have to go make some pop corn.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

It's nuts that even the manufacturer's website tells you that you are pretty much at the mercy of the local dealership!

Well, I called Camping World in Akron, Ohio, and they were really cool about bringing my unit in for service.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Majeed View Post
It's nuts that even the manufacturer's website tells you that you are pretty much at the mercy of the local dealership!

Well, I called Camping World in Akron, Ohio, and they were really cool about bringing my unit in for service.
Good deal, hope they take care of you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

I hope they take good care of you, but why not take it back to the dealer you bought it from?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
I hope they take good care of you, but why not take it back to the dealer you bought it from?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!
Hi Chip,
Thanks Chip, I bought it from southern Ohio and I live all the way up by Cleveland. The dealer is about 5 hours away.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Camping World will NEVER see my RV. Too many horror stories about CW service, or lack thereof.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #9

Be Careful

Quote:
When you make an appointment with them, it's only for you to drop it off. It has NOTHING to do with when they will work on it. Many horror stories about Sirpilla sitting on units for months. They also play the blame game: waiting for authorization from FR - I had called FR, they said they did weeks ago. Since my unit is out of warranty, I'll never go back. They also break more than they fix. Installed a third ceiling light about counter - screwed right into ceiling panel. No structural strength - fixture was dangling down on the way home. I'm going back to a small shop that I bought my first Scotty from in Deerfield. PM me if you want his name.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
When you make an appointment with them, it's only for you to drop it off. It has NOTHING to do with when they will work on it. Many horror stories about Sirpilla sitting on units for months. They also play the blame game: waiting for authorization from FR - I had called FR, they said they did weeks ago. Since my unit is out of warranty, I'll never go back. They also break more than they fix. Installed a third ceiling light about counter - screwed right into ceiling panel. No structural strength - fixture was dangling down on the way home. I'm going back to a small shop that I bought my first Scotty from in Deerfield. PM me if you want his name.
That's what I'm afraid of!! I hear too many horror stories about CW!

Where do you take your unit?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #11

Forest River does tell you about the selling dealer doing warranty work and yes you are at their mercy. I just hope that more people are aware of this fact. It is normal for Camping World to tell you your appointment for service is in a month and they do ask when you need the RV and they will try to have it ready for you in a month.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Camping World will NEVER see my RV. Too many horror stories about CW service, or lack thereof.

I guess it's like different dealers, CW isn't any different. I have always been treated great at CW in Fayetteville NC

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
I bought it from southern Ohio and I live all the way up by Cleveland. The dealer is about 5 hours away.
I can't blame RV dealers for choosing to only take care of their own... It's a big hassle for them to get warranty work pre-approved, parts ordered, and the actual labor-hours accounted for should they run into the unexpected...

Unlike the auto industry, IMO RV dealers do not make much of a profit on warranty work. In comparison, when Ram replaced my Hemi under warranty the dealer sent Ram a bill for around $12,000 - for something a 3rd party shop can do for around $4,000....)

I work just 10 minutes from General RV & (their competitor) and have family members & friends who have dealt with both. IMO you cannot go wrong with General whereas their competitor has made some of our friends & family members' blood boil...

On a big sale weekend General RV's prices were pretty close to Ohio wholesalers. With my purchase they included a "free" pressurized leak test & re-caulking, "free" WDH & installation, enough store credit to buy essentials, and 2.5 hour PDI (where they adjusted all slide-out cables, awning tracking, etc.) Altogether (2) technicians spent 9 man-hours of labor & we drove it home the same day of purchase. So in the end I feel we actually got MORE for our money than the lowest priced wholesalers...

We've now owned our TT from General RV for 3 years & have never had to take it back for service. IMO they got it right before I drove it off the lot & I couldn't be happier!
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #14

I see the real issue here is for people who find themselves far from their dealer. Either on vacation or full timing. It isn't always convenient, or possible, to go back.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #15
Site Team

People like to bash CW as an entity, and I'm sure some locations deserve it, but CW of South Alabama has always been very good to us. So don't lump all CW's together. Give CW of Akron a chance, they may do a great job for you.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi Chip,
Thanks Chip, I bought it from southern Ohio and I live all the way up by Cleveland. The dealer is about 5 hours away.
If you bought you unit from a wholesaler, I can see why General turned you away.
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
People like to bash CW as an entity, and I'm sure some locations deserve it, but CW of South Alabama has always been very good to us. So don't lump all CW's together. Give CW of Akron a chance, they may do a great job for you.

I have had fantastic service at CW Myrtle Beach SC and CW Ashville NC. I pass 2 independents within 12 miles of home on the 44 mile drive to CW Myrtle Beach.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #18

I've read about this topics all the way back to March this year and I know it is more beyond that. Same old stories. I'm new owner and I know for sure in here is a good source of knowledge's. What I really need is to become a mechanic real fast. They are not deaf they just don't hear you or care.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #19

Quote:
I called General RV in their Canton, Ohio location for some warranty work on my 2016 Georgetown 351DS, and I was told that a month ago Service Department received a directive from ownership not to take any motorhomes for service that were not bought directly from General RV!!!
I think this is rotten and unethical. If you are a Georgetown dealer you are, in my opinion, obligated to service these units regardless of where they were bought!!!!

Whatever happened to customer service?
It's normal for RV dealers not to accept non-customers for service or to put them at the back of the line. Look at it from the perspective of the customers and the RV dealer who is unable to handle the additional work.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #20

I don't think hard of dealers that won't work on a camper they didn't sell. I just find someone that will.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, service