Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #1

Generator

I just purchased a predator 3500 for our 2017 Forrest River. Is anyone else running this generator and if so how do you like it? Should I run a surge protector between the generator and the rv? Thanks for the input and advice.
Jurg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #2

A surge protector wouldn't help but I've found that one isn't needed for an inverter generator.

There is a fellow on here who uses two HF predator 3500 generators in parallel for his food truck business. He runs them very long hours each day with no issues other then oil and plug changes.

Make sure you break in the generator engine. I found that it took me about 20 hours for the engine to break in (rings seat) so engine was capable of providing full rated generator load. After break in an oil change is a must. I personally have used 5w40 with great success in all of my engines and think it is a superior oil for air cooled engines that have splash lubrication (no oil filter).
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
Site Team

There are a number of threads here, about the Predator 3500.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
A surge protector wouldn't help but I've found that one isn't needed for an inverter generator.

There is a fellow on here who uses two HF predator 3500 generators in parallel for his food truck business. He runs them very long hours each day with no issues other then oil and plug changes.

Make sure you break in the generator engine. I found that it took me about 20 hours for the engine to break in (rings seat) so engine was capable of providing full rated generator load. After break in an oil change is a must. I personally have used 5w40 with great success in all of my engines and think it is a superior oil for air cooled engines that have splash lubrication (no oil filter).
My new Predator 2000 calls for 10w30 oil. Why would I choose to use a different viscosity oil than recommended?
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

Thank you for you reply.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

I did see that after I posted. I actually didn’t see it here. I found it when I searched on google. Sorry for the repeat.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

I just purchased the Predator 3500. I do not run a surge protector, never have in 30 years of RV's. Like others have said, change the oil during break in. I would change it at 2hrs, 4hrs, 10hrs, then run a synthetic after 30hrs.
So far I really like the genny, but the warranty is only 3 months. I run it as much as possible, figuring if its gonna break, it will within the first 100 hrs.
Best of luck!
Nights Camped 2016- 15, 2017- 30,2018-27, 2019-36 2020-21
ace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to MendocinoExplorer Send a message via Skype™ to MendocinoExplorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurg77 View Post
I just purchased a predator 3500 for our 2017 Forrest River. Is anyone else running this generator and if so how do you like it?

I have the same one. Works great up to about 4000 feet elevation. Runs ‘rich’ and chokes up when higher than 4000 feet. Be sure to purchase an extra spark plug if you plan to use the Predator in the mountains.

MAJOR metal in oil after the 2 hour breakin oil change, I concur with being pro-active with careful breakin procedure.

I ordered a ‘high altitude’ jet, but haven’t installed it yet. Installing this means I cannot run the unit at home (sea level).

Although I REALLY like this unit, I am considering selling it and purchasing a dual-fuel Champion due to my elevation concerns.

Enjoy!

Rennie
Old 05-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
My new Predator 2000 calls for 10w30 oil. Why would I choose to use a different viscosity oil than recommended?
A 5w40 is a heavy duty engine oil. The predator is not lubricated by an oil pump with an inline oil filter. Instead, it is splash lubricated and contaminates build up in the oil instead of being filtered. A HDEO is designed to suspend more contaminates than a regular oil. It also has higher levels of anti-wear additives such as ZDDP then automotive oil which can experience catalytic converter issues with high levels of ZDDP. It is a more stout oil than an automotive oil that has reduced anti-wear additives and other additives to reduce emission system contamination.

As a 5w40 it is easier to start in cooler weather and the additional viscosity will be of benefit in hot weather for an oil cooled engine.

It is just a better oil and don't get hung up by the minor viscosity difference at operating temperature-it won't cause any issues and if you read the fine print on most owners manuals, they usually say RECOMMENDED oil viscosities.

For example, one of my vehicles says to use 5w30 year round but in other parts of the world, the same engine in higher temperature is recommended by the manufacturer to use 5w40, 15w40, and 20w50.

I don't get hung up by oil specs recommended by manufacturers anymore. Heck, there are people here who are dumping 5w20 oil in their hard working 1/2 on trucks which I would never do.

Use whatever oil you want but I prefer my engines to last longer rather. You won't see an air cooled motorcycle running 10w30 but you'll see it running 5w40 up to 20w50.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #10

Most common content on the internet: Cat Videos.

Second most common: Oil Threads.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #11

I have a 3500. Runs great. Changed the oil at 5 hours and 20. Then switched to synthetic. Stick with the 10w30. These
Are copy cats of Honda engines. They even have the same light misfire at eco idle. It’s not Chinese engineering it’s Honda

Change the spark plug. They put a cheap one in it and it is the only thing I have seen fail in any of which 100 threads about this genny.

Mine will run my 15k ac for 8 hours on the gas in its tank. It’s quiet. Sips fuel. And has been perfect.

I plan on buyin/making a larger thank for it eventually but have no reason to hurry.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #12

If you insist on a 10w30 oil, then you can purchase a HDEO oil since they are trying to improve fuel economy on large diesel engines now too but the funny thing is that my diesel manufacturer recommends 5w40 if towing or operating in extreme conditions instead of HDEO 10w30. There is something to be said for a thicker viscosity and I think that is especially relevant to an air cooled engine!

Tags
generator