Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

Generator

Hello Everyone,
I have a 2014 forest river Lexington 300SS, it has a 4K Onan generator.
I was camping this week at a camp site using the campsite 30A service. There was a storm that entered the area and the site lost it's power for several hours.(did I mention that it was 90 deg. in that area) so I decided to start my generator but since it was lightning I did not go outside to remove the cable,but as soon as it died down enough,I went outside to open the breaker rather than remove the cable. My question is was it necessary to open the camps breaker or remove the cable,because I was thinking that the transfer switch opens which disconnects me from the camps service when the generator ran for a couple of minutes? oh one more thing I did have a surge protector connected also.
charles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

Not really necessary to remove shore power prior to starting the genny. The automatic transfer switch (contactor) will energize once the genny is up to speed and voltage. It may be prudent to shed some loads for switching. When you shut the genny down the contactor will de-energize and revert back to shore power.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

Genny has power priority over shore power so will power RV until you shut down genny.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

with an RV transfer switch, the Generator's output will take over priority when you are also on Shore Power, though it has a 'wait time' for this to happen, since the generator needs to get up to 'spool' for 120v output before the ATS recognizes the power...

but, no, you don't 'need' to unplug, EVEN if you still have Shore Power, such as if you want to exercise your generator monthly while parked for extended stays.

The ATS is what takes action when you have TWO 120v power sources. Normally most RVrs will either 'unplug' before they run the generator, or will have turned OFF their generator before plugging in, but even if not, the ATS can handle it with ease - that's it's job.

Now, the reason that the ATS gives preference to Generator power, when you have BOTH the Generator running AND live Shore Power, is because, of course, it CAN'T use both at the same time, but must 'choose' which is the 'default' power source when both are present - the Generator gets the preference.

Some folks find it uncomfortable to remain plugged in when running the Generator, but ultimately there's no issue if you allow this, as many of us do.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:25 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for your comments. It’s always nice to get reassurance from experts like yourselves.
charles55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator