Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #81

Why pay for a campground that doesn't have electric hook ups ? most places i camp/dry camp a contractor style gen works fine . but since i don't need ac when i dry camp the 2000 champion works great . different prices yes much less then a honda . but most no one goes out and buys the top of the line tt/rv/th same holds true for genny's no real need to go out and buy the top of the line unit when a step or 2 down will provide and same same unit at half the cost and preform just as well and last just as long . most feel you get what you pay for if that held true everybody would own a 2 million dollar rv with built in onan . . in fact why waste time on these portable units like honda just go get a onan for your unit
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #82
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Why pay for a campground that doesn't have electric hook ups ? most places i camp/dry camp a contractor style gen works fine . but since i don't need ac when i dry camp the 2000 champion works great . different prices yes much less then a honda . but most no one goes out and buys the top of the line tt/rv/th same holds true for genny's no real need to go out and buy the top of the line unit when a step or 2 down will provide and same same unit at half the cost and preform just as well and last just as long . most feel you get what you pay for if that held true everybody would own a 2 million dollar rv with built in onan . . in fact why waste time on these portable units like honda just go get a onan for your unit
There are hundreds of campgrounds that don't have hook-ups at all sites and not having them doesn't stop us from going there, especially if the campground is in an area we want to visit, has a slot open and we have the means to get by without them. (hook-ups)

If you never visit such places, so be it.
Of the ones we have, an open frame/contractor style generator was not permitted.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There are hundreds of campgrounds that don't have hook-ups at all sites and not having them doesn't stop us from going there, especially if the campground is in an area we want to visit, has a slot open and we have the means to get by without them. (hook-ups)

If you never visit such places, so be it.
Of the ones we have, an open frame/contractor style generator was not permitted.
well if the campgrounds you stay at don't have hooks ups and don't allow contractor style gens then for sure don't get that style of generator . when I head out and dry camp it's never at campgrounds and when i do stay at a campground i only do for the full hook ups otherwise i'm on forest service lands or state lands with out designated campgrounds . follow the rules and you'll get along fine
Old 12-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #84
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
well if the campgrounds you stay at don't have hooks ups and don't allow contractor style gens then for sure don't get that style of generator . when I head out and dry camp it's never at campgrounds and when i do stay at a campground i only do for the full hook ups otherwise i'm on forest service lands or state lands with out designated campgrounds . follow the rules and you'll get along fine
How am I not following the rules?

Old 12-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #85

Quote:
How am I not following the rules?
did not say you weren't. just made a generic statement . if you [generic ] follow the rules you'll [generic ] will get along just fine . so to anybody reading this if you follow the rules you'll get along just fine
Old 12-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #86
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
did not say you weren't. just made a generic statement . if you [generic ] follow the rules you'll [generic ] will get along just fine . so to anybody reading this if you follow the rules you'll get along just fine
Roger that.
Thought since you quoted me, you meant me.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #87

Quote:
Roger that.
Thought since you quoted me, you meant me.
It's all good . forums are meant for misunderstandings
i did ? you on the why stay and pay where there are no hooks up .but you explained that.being from out west we don't have many issue on having great free camping in great locations and plenty of space to use contractor gens , I'll never get used to how things work east of the mississippi one big reason i don't camp on the east side . i do stay in Fl for the winter but only with full hook ups and it may be my last winter this far east . Just can't stand all the people and rules . but with all the people i can see why you all need strict rules over here
Old 12-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Why pay for a campground that doesn't have electric hook ups ?
Well, that's great if you live somewhere where full hookups are common.
But we camped in California for over 30 years and 99% of California's state parks campsites have no hookups of any kind.

So if you want to camp in them, you have to dry camp. And they have definite generator hours and noise level restrictions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
But we camped in California for over 30 years and 99% of California's state parks campsites have no hookups of any kind.

So if you want to camp in them, you have to dry camp. And they have definite generator hours and noise level restrictions.
well CA is one well regulated place . not an issue in Co where i never camp in designated campgrounds . so no issue or people to deal with . live and learn but don't worry i don't want to camp in them
Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #90

Interesting factoid on the noise front. I was wandering around the inner-web and found a post about a new 4K fuel injected inverter gen from Powerhouse. It has some nice features. It is being marketed to RV users. What surprised me was that it has a full load noise rating at 23 feet of 73.3 Db! If I understand the db ratings correctly, that means the Powerhouse will seem to be more than twice as loud as a 3.4k Champion.
According to the RV Daily Report website: "The PH4000Ri/E meets the most stringent air quality standards throughout North America and it is quiet enough to meet National Park Service guidelines for campground use."

Does anyone have a report on what campsites regard as the max DB level allowed?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Interesting factoid on the noise front. I was wandering around the inner-web and found a post about a new 4K fuel injected inverter gen from Powerhouse. It has some nice features. It is being marketed to RV users. What surprised me was that it has a full load noise rating at 23 feet of 73.3 Db! If I understand the db ratings correctly, that means the Powerhouse will seem to be more than twice as loud as a 3.4k Champion.
According to the RV Daily Report website: "The PH4000Ri/E meets the most stringent air quality standards throughout North America and it is quiet enough to meet National Park Service guidelines for campground use."

Does anyone have a report on what campsites regard as the max DB level allowed?
I don't know what maximum levels are but the db ratings given my manufacturers are not all that accurate. There isn't a "standard" (I know of) as far as distance from the generator when the readings are taken. 73 db at 23 feet away is LOUD. As the distance is increased the sound level in db decreases quickly. Also, for every 3 db increase the sound level increases by about one and one half times. I haven't heard other gen's running but the Honda 2k was pretty quiet.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #92

I initially picked up a Champion. It kicked off when I tried to run the AC. This was a 13.5 Dometic unit.

Then, I picked up a pair of Honda 2000's. Perfect. One word of caution, the Honda does not like old gas. Use it or drain it before storing more than a month. Stabil or Sea Foam mixed may give you an extra month. I went 3 months (with Stabil) and had to pull a carb off and clean it.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
I initially picked up a Champion. It kicked off when I tried to run the AC. This was a 13.5 Dometic unit.

Then, I picked up a pair of Honda 2000's. Perfect. One word of caution, the Honda does not like old gas. Use it or drain it before storing more than a month. Stabil or Sea Foam mixed may give you an extra month. I went 3 months (with Stabil) and had to pull a carb off and clean it.
This is what works for us: only use premium (highest octane) gas and ALWAYS use Stabil or something like it. Make sure the generators are started at least every 6 to 8 weeks.

I never drain the fuel from ours and have never had a problem in 11 years.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post

Correct about the gas thing. I use Stabil and run the Hondas about 30 minutes twice a month. I have the same problem with the Husqvarna chainsaw and a Kohler powered leaf vacuum.

The Champion 3100 runs the 15k air conditioner on the horse trailer just fine.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

We have similar situation here in BC. Some of the nicest spots are unserviced provincial or regional parks. They have definite hours when to run your generator but I haven't seen decibel restrictions. It's more about being a " good neighbour" noise wise. In 2015 we did a trip to the Arctic Coast and back via Alaska and more than half of our camping was dry. We love our Yamaha noise and service wise.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #96

I run premium gas in all my small engines

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator