Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #41

they have a parallel kit.. the one for the champions just fits between the two stacked units and provides your 30Amp plug..
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDivr View Post
Another question while generators are on topic, does the TT plug directly into the generator or does it need additional plug or something?
The Champion 2000 parallel kit (about $60) is RV ready, just plug your trailer cord into it.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #43

You can exceed your amp draw with shore power, but with a generator, what you get is all you have. As with buying an air compressor, be sure you have enough to cover your needs.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #44

IMHO Honda or Yamaha are the best two choices. Both are reputable , have good inverter models and most importantly are QUIET. Been running a 3000W Yamaha for the last three years. We do a lot of dry camping and love it. I put an hour meter on it last year so I can service it at the proper interval. Downside is, that a large good quality generator is heavy. Mine I believe is 147lbs when full of fuel.i leave it on the back of the truck and haven't had to unload it in the past two years. If I do, I get a hand with it.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
IMHO Honda or Yamaha are the best two choices. Both are reputable , have good inverter models and most importantly are QUIET. Been running a 3000W Yamaha for the last three years. We do a lot of dry camping and love it. I put an hour meter on it last year so I can service it at the proper interval. Downside is, that a large good quality generator is heavy. Mine I believe is 147lbs when full of fuel.i leave it on the back of the truck and haven't had to unload it in the past two years. If I do, I get a hand with it.
Glad that is your opinion only and not based on any factual information. They are all good actually.

A word of caution on any genny is maintenance. They need regular care and above all fresh fuel and/or fuel with stabilizer added for overwintering.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #46

I went with the Champions running in parallel. I added an external fuel tank for extended run time. They work great for my needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161001_094151.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	126870  

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #47

For the best selection and price take a look at Power Equipment Direct.

http://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #48

We have the 3100 Champion and have been happy with it. I did notice a little bit of engine hunting the last time I dry camped with mine but it eventually settle down. I do run the blue Sta-Bil in all my fuel can fuel so not sure why it did that. I also run my carb dry when I store my gen for any extended period. Other then that one incident it has started easily and ran my 15K AC unit with ease. My coffee maker hits it harder than AC unit does. I do turn that off to run my micro as the two will throw the overload and then I have to let it cool before it will reset.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #49

Where I bought mine (Champoin). Fast service, arrived in 3 days. Best price, no tax (all good). Their 'regular advertised price' is what the 'on sale' price is at most 'brick and mortar' retailers is..... Costo included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rich View Post
We have the 3100 Champion and have been happy with it. I did notice a little bit of engine hunting the last time I dry camped with mine but it eventually settle down. I do run the blue Sta-Bil in all my fuel can fuel so not sure why it did that. I also run my carb dry when I store my gen for any extended period. Other then that one incident it has started easily and ran my 15K AC unit with ease. My coffee maker hits it harder than AC unit does. I do turn that off to run my micro as the two will throw the overload and then I have to let it cool before it will reset.
Mine 'hunts' ocassionally as well. I believe it has to do with load sensing more than anything else and a coffee maker is a steady 1500 watt pull whereas your AC pulls pulls hard on compressor start and then drops off when running. Always keep in mind that with any capacitor start motor including cap start / induction run, inrush amperage is 3 times running amperage.

Lots of discussion about weight and being able to 'lift' a unit into and out of say a truck bed or in your unit for transport.

I carry mine inside my truck camper. The Champ is rectangular and has handles integrated into it so it 'fits' nicely inside.

The door height in my TC loaded on my truck is 36" and I'm 67 and I have no issue putting it inside for transit, (mime weighs 65 pounds full of fuel and while that sounds like a lot, it handles easily because of the shape and because it has handles on both ends)

I do like the Champ because it has a double gas shutoff. You can turn it of at the front panel plus the cap gas a positive shutoff built in so no chance of fumes or spillage while it's inside my camper.

Previously, I owned a Yamaha 2800I which was appreciably heavier (79 pounds). I ran it for 10 years and sold it (they do hold their value) for more than I paid for the Champ. I did maintain the Yamaha carefully with regular oil changes (twice yearly), air filter cleaning, carbon removal from the USFS approved muffler and valve adjustments.

Keep in mind that none of these units are maintenance free. The Honda, Champion, Yamaha and all the others require maintenance (other than putting in gas and running them.

All require valve adjustments and decarbonization of the muffler....across all brands, no exception.

If you assume they are all 'plug and play, you'll be in for a surprise, because they are not. If you ignore the necessary maintenance, they will all fail at some point.

Just like your vehicle, they need regular maintenance.

Internally. they are all basically the same. Higher output units have larger components and larger engines, which of course equates to more weight.

IMO (only), It distills down to the best bang for the buck, color or brand name is not important today. They all share the same electronic components, the only mechanical difference is the engine itself and all the brand leaders have advanced OHV engines and safeguards like low oil shutdown.

Knowing what the 'insides' were about, when I replaced my aging Yamaha, I shopped solely on price and portability.

Just my observations... Yours may be different, however, the Honda is no better than the Champion or the Yamaha or the Wen despite perceived notions.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #50

Hi

I have a 3500 watt Powerhouse inverter and if I had a redo I would buy two 2000 watt generators and buy are parallel kit. I cannot move the 3500 watt unit myself and like Filterman I get help getting it in the truck and leave it there for the duration of the trip.

I would always be able to fit one 2000 watt unit in the storage compartment for the whole camping season. I can't do that with the 3500 watt unit.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #51

I have 2 2000i Honda's that I parallel, I brought them eight years ago. I think I paid $859 apiece for them, free shipping and no tax. They have been great, I take them on every camping trip I go on. They even come in handy when there is a storm at home and power goes out. But buy what you like and can afford

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #52

What has worked for me

Having to power a 15k a/c, a television, a microwave and some lights and outlets in our 5th wheel set me out on my journey.These are the reasons I purchased two Yamaha 2000 watt generators along with a few suggestions. The requirements may not be the same for you.
1. Figure out what you want to run at one time and purchase wattage according to your needs.Remember that your electrical needs may change in the future as you may upgrade your unit.
2. Two individual units are easier to move around than one big one and sometimes we go places (i.e beach, river, etc.) where one generator is all I need.
3. Get units that can be paralleled together. I have a total of 4000 watts and 30 amp available to me with both units paralleled.
4. The Yamaha's were cheaper than the Honda's but not inexpensive by any means. They have a three year warranty and were just as quiet as the Honda's.
5. Check sound decibel levels on all of the units you are considering. Loud generators will get you run out of many campgrounds.
6. Don't get sucked into the brand debate. Your budget will ultimately determine your choice. Get the best you can afford and with proper maintenance, many will give you years of service.
7. Good luck in your quest and Happy Camping.
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #53

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Misinformation here on some good generators that are overlooked.

I have a Powerhouse 4 kw Fuel Injected generator. This will run at altitude just fine and the tank is large enough to run our 15 k but AC for 8 hours. Remote start as well.

For coffee pot maybe a stove top might be better than timing up a generator for coffee.

Look at Lifan as well, Powerhouse are the same base units imported.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #54

I purchased the Champion 3100 inverter 2 years ago. It runs my 13.5k ac just fine. I mainly used it for a comfortable quick break while traveling. Just start it up and catch a few hours of cool sleep. Then a hot coffee when you wake.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #55

To me the answer is simple after researching and doing it. You have 2 viable options:

I purchased Choice A after extended research. The only one I found that had a dedicated 30amp RV plug!!!! The generator is specifically designed for RV use. 100% of the power is available at one dedicated 30amp RV outlet. Other generators split output among their outlets and they CAN NOT be combined unless needing 220Vac - which is not combining in the sense everyone is thing off. The only slight negative is it is obviously not as quite as a Honda, but so what. I place it away from the TT for safety anyway. If any noise is a problem, choice B is the solution.

I have not tried Choice B, but it is the Honda equivalent at half the price.

A) Champion Brand Dedicated RV Generators - few models

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Champion-Po...ngine/50436748

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Champion-Po...ine/1000039715

Full List https://www.lowes.com/pl/Portable-ge...ent=1362617603

B) Harbor Freight - I have not tried this item, but for the price it is worth trying as an alternative to Honda at half the price! You can return them if they are no good.

2000 Peak/1600 Running Watts, 2.8 HP (79.7cc) Portable Inverter Generator CARB

I am sure you will receive many opinions (including this one) - review all, try, and decide for yourself.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #56

At 66 db I wouldn't say option B is a good solution to the noise problem. I think both those generators should stay where they belong, at a construction site.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #57
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
To me the answer is simple after researching and doing it. You have 2 viable options:

I purchased Choice A after extended research. The only one I found that had a dedicated 30amp RV plug!!!! The generator is specifically designed for RV use. 100% of the power is available at one dedicated 30amp RV outlet. Other generators split output among their outlets and they CAN NOT be combined unless needing 220Vac - which is not combining in the sense everyone is thing off. The only slight negative is it is obviously not as quite as a Honda, but so what. I place it away from the TT for safety anyway. If any noise is a problem, choice B is the solution.

I have not tried Choice B, but it is the Honda equivalent at half the price.

A) Champion Brand Dedicated RV Generators - few models

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Champion-Po...ngine/50436748

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Champion-Po...ine/1000039715

Full List https://www.lowes.com/pl/Portable-ge...ent=1362617603

B) Harbor Freight - I have not tried this item, but for the price it is worth trying as an alternative to Honda at half the price! You can return them if they are no good.

2000 Peak/1600 Running Watts, 2.8 HP (79.7cc) Portable Inverter Generator CARB

I am sure you will receive many opinions (including this one) - review all, try, and decide for yourself.
Unfortunately, while the Champion generators you referenced are "R/V ready", they are NOT inverter type generators and prohibited from use in many campgrounds. If you never visit a campground where open frame/contractor type generators are prohibited you'd be OK but most campgrounds won't allow them.

**HERE** is a link to Champion generators that are 'R/V ready' and are also much quieter, inverter type units.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #58

I just picked up a cheap one and through it in the compartment.
it works alright.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161221_092933.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	126881  
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #59

As I said, decide after MANY inputs and get the real data. Everybody wants to force their opinion. See Image 61 vs 59 - not bad for $1,000 less.

Also, the 4Kw Champion I had IS, WAS and WILL continue to be Ready until I trade in my TT and get an RV. I run my AC and most anything else as long as I stay under 29amps total. That means start the AC First.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	62523_zzz_alt2_500_1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	126883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160412_123137 sm.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	126885  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
As I said, decide after MANY inputs and get the real data. Everybody wants to force their opinion. See Image 61 vs 59 - not bad for $1,000 less.

Also, the 4Kw Champion I had IS, WAS and WILL continue to be Ready until I trade in my TT and get an RV. I run my AC and most anything else as long as I stay under 29amps total. That means start the AC First.
I own the same Champion contractor style generator as yours in the pic.

I would NEVER subject my camping neighbors to its noise level.

It's great for home outages and boondocking where no one is nearby.

But not appropriate for campground usage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator