Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

generator for TT question

I have a Surveyor 305 TT and tow with a 2015 F-250. We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2016. Do you carry your generator on a rack on back of the trailer and operate from there or in pickup bed? If in pickup bed do you run the generator from there or do you remove it for use? Thanks for your help!
wclark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #2

Generator racks are a touchy topic here. Often times the bumpers are not adequate in supporting the weight, especially with the bounce of the road.

I use (2) 2k Yamaha gennys in parallel and I keep them in the back of my truck for transport. When I get where I am going I tuck them under my slide (for protection from the elements) and use a cable lock to secure them to my TT. I then hang my PI unit off of the slide track and hook it all up. I have used the gennys from the pick up bed. It works fine, I just had to use an extension cable (I only did this once, for a one night stay).

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #3

Generators for a TT

Same here, I carried two Ryobi 2,200w units with a parallel cable in the truck bed under the cover. The only issue is carrying extra gas under a bed cover is dangerous, so I picked up a couple of the Justrite 5 gallon cans for about $60 each. Never had a whiff of gas when opening the hard cover on the pickup. LOTS of threads about putting things on the rear bumpers of TTs. Most trailers, including mine, specifically tell you NOT to mount anything on the bumper; explaining that it is just a stinky slinky holder, not a bumper.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #4

I learned about trailer bumpers the hard way. One bike on a cheap bike rack did the trick.... Changed to a better bike rack and had a welding shop change out the "tube" and weld on a real bumper. I can carry 4 bikes with no rack movement. I think..... it is strong enough....the Champion 3500 weighs 100 pounds though. My real issue is age. 100 pounds is a hard lift to the back of a truck or a rack on the back of the trailer. Thanks for your insight.
wclark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

I hear you! The Ryobi's are only 54# each, so lifting two of them is easier on my back than one heavier unit. And, if it is cool weather, it only takes one to run a single AC, the TV, microwave, etc.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

I plant to build another hitch for the back of my camper. I plan to keep the 2 Honda's in the basement of the fifth wheel and take them out when I need them and put them on the frame that I plan on building. That way I will not be able to hear them in my front bedroom. The frame that I plan to build will slide under the camper riding down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclark79 View Post
I have a Surveyor 305 TT and tow with a 2015 F-250. We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2016. Do you carry your generator on a rack on back of the trailer and operate from there or in pickup bed? If in pickup bed do you run the generator from there or do you remove it for use? Thanks for your help!
We just did a tour of Yukon and Alaska for 2.5 months last year, you will have a fantastic trip.

What we did on our 5th wheel, was to extend the bumper, trying to make it look good and like it was part of the trailer to start with (this is a bit hard).

We then had a custom built generator box made to fit our EF2400iSHC. It turned out great and no problems when traveling up north last year.

My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

Generator for TT

Just came back from 3 months in Alaska and Yukon. We use a Yamaha 3KW. Keep on the truck bed right at the back ( for cooling) and works great. Never had to unoad it. Just run my shore cord to it like I'm plugged into reg 110V. Rule of thumb is keep switch turned off until after you start the generator and make sure you turn off the fuel valve on the gen set when you are travelling on rough road (Alaska has lots) or it might flood your unit and make it hard to start. I haad a set of ramps built so I could unload mine and never used them all summer long.
Happy travelling north....you will love it.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #9

Gen.

We Have a 2011 Salem 27RKSS ( 31 feet overall length), uses 30 Amps and has a very flexible bumper. We tow with a 2011 F250 diesel (6.7). I have used nothing but the Camping World Champion 4200 watt generator chained to the bed of the truck. The power cord on the trailer easily reaches the generator and we can be parked and have power in about three minutes without unhooking for quicky, or one nighter stops. The 4200 watts is plenty for everything in the trailer. We have over 50,000 towed miles, including Texas to Alaska and back last year and I have never unloaded the generator on a trip. I also wired a very simple shutoff switch next to the bed, inside the trailer, so when my wife is ready, she simply turns of the TV and presses a button to shut down the Gen. I do have to go out and start it in the mornings.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

Depending on your rig, hooking anything to the rear bumper can give it a real beating. I wanted to put my handicapped scooter on the back of our Sydney Outback and was told that there may be parts falling off as we travel. I use a 3000ie honda generator and keep it in the truck. it is electric start with remote start, works well for us. Happy traveling.
High Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #11

I have an R-Pod and when I bought it, the dealer had a mount for a gen. that fit on the tongue above my Propane tank. One of the best mods I've done !
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclark79 View Post
Question for you. Will you need to run the generator when you are not there? I need to for my dog when I go out and need to run the AC or furnace / heater. For this reason I put a rack on the back of my trailer. If you don't need to and can disconnect it and go put it in your truck and lock it down. Disconnect it when you leave and hook it back up when you return.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator