Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

Generator Question

We are about to purchase a Champion 3400 Inverted Generator. We are going back and forth as to get an electric start or just stay with a pull. So the questions is, how hard is it to pull start these generators. If some of the ladies can chime in or if your wife can pull it. I don't have the oomph I had in my younger days

Second question. Can you start it with the trailer plugged in (NO LOAD when starting)? I mean using the remote start would be pretty useless if you have go out and plug the trailer in.

Thanks in advance

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Can you start it with the trailer plugged in (NO LOAD when starting)? I mean using the remote start would be pretty useless if you have go out and plug the trailer in.

Thanks in advance
If you have no load you can start it with the trailer plugged in, but that would mean turning off the main breaker. In class C and A RVs, the automatic transfer switch waits between 15 and 30 seconds before dropping the hammer and connecting the loads. This gives the generator time to come up to RPM and stabilize its output before loading. Turning off the main breaker and waiting till the RPM stabilizes would manually achieve the same result.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

I like electric start... but then again I was born lazy and raised slow.

If you decide you want the remote start (and I sure would), you just turn your main breaker off at the inside panel before you start it, wait a minute or so for the generator to stabilize then throw the breaker on.

I have a buddy that has the Champion with remote start and he absolutely loves it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
We are about to purchase a Champion 3400 Inverted Generator. We are going back and forth as to get an electric start or just stay with a pull. So the questions is, how hard is it to pull start these generators. If some of the ladies can chime in or if your wife can pull it. I don't have the oomph I had in my younger days

Second question. Can you start it with the trailer plugged in (NO LOAD when starting)? I mean using the remote start would be pretty useless if you have go out and plug the trailer in.

Thanks in advance
though the electric start .
it is a little heavier it's well worth it and you can start it when plugged in , there is a delay built into the generator where is does not provide power until it's been running 15 or 20 seconds .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

A couple of things to be aware of. You need to keep the internal battery charged when you are not using it. Also the choke is behind a cover on the elec start models. 2nd, you could consider the dual fuel model. Lastly, if you want to run it all night you might want to modify it for an external marine tank. Internal tank is 1.6 gal, good size external is 6gal. Mod costs about $75 in parts plus tank and hose. Check YouTube for how to.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

If the weight of the unit is not an issue for you then might as well have the remote start option available.
gloryracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

Remote start, well worth the money.
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #8

This gal says electric start. Doesn't matter if you can pull the pull. Why? I have 2 Honda 2k. Wish I had electric start. Ymmv
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #9

My Honda EU3000is is quite easy to pull start. I used to have a 6500 watt open frame genny, and it was a killer to pull start.

Personally, I find the Honda so easy to pull that I never replaced the starter battery when it failed after 7 years.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

Electric start is the way to go especially if you have a partially torn rotator cuff
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks in advance
I got the "Dual Fuel" 3400. It comes with electric start and it let's you use propane. Very nice to have both!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #12

I don't really care about the electric start, but having a remote to turn it off at night when I'm sleepy after watching a movie would be great!! Get the remote start/stop!!!

As far as starting with the RV cord plugged in, we do it all the time, usually with a load. Not a big deal with inverters like it is with contractor types. Of course the naysayers and even most manuals say not to, but we've been doing it for 11 years with no problems.

Enjoy your new generator!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator