Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #1

Generator Stowing and usage

Thanks for all input

We have small toy hauler. Grey wolf 19rr...the wife just retired and we are considering traveling to utah and Colorado in May or and June(pleasant weather) from our home in extreme southern alabama(hot and humid).tow vehicle is 2015 silverado 2500 gas. So all is good there...
We have been to everglades,grand canyon,Santa fe ,nm etc so we are not noobies...however. this trip in order to economize we want to dry camp and use our generator(plenty big with tt30 outlet) and carry water and use the 12v pump...all new to us.
Generator is not rectifier so it will be noisy. However we will only be using it to overnight in cracker barrel etc...not in campgrounds

Question are. Generator storage and usage...my wife seems to think that we can carry and use the generator in the back of our pickup and leave it there...I ,on the other hand,don't like that idea....we can lower the ramp door and roll the generator out of our toy hauler as needed.this is not an argument. Just a solicitation of advice from those who have been there..many thanks
seawolf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #2

Title should say stowing and usage. Da����������n spell check
Old 01-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

Haven't been there because my genset is buit-in, but just brainstorming. Keeping it in the pickup would require lifting it and/or moving it close to battery bank, no? Rolling it down ramp of TH sounds good if there is a good handle, maybe a rope handle so it doesn't get away from you? How old and strong are you?

If you are talking about boondocking have you read the threads on the subject? You may need to run your generator more than you think...

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
RV There Yet?

two thoughts for you to consider. if you put it in the toy hauler, will you want to move it after its hot from running and have some possible fuel smell? i have the 17rp, so i know you have the vents you can crack to help, but fuel and exhaust smells can linger.

the other thing to consider is in either case, what is your plan to secure your generator so that nobody walks off with it or vandalizes it if they find the noise offensive? its still a noisy unit compared to a running semi/APU.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Keeping it in the pickup would require lifting it and/or moving it close to battery bank, no?
As long as you can plug into the camper's shorepower, you can use the onboard converter/charger to charge the batteries.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #6

My power cord will easily reach from the tailgate to the camper. I just don’t like the idea. My wife and I can easily roll the generator in and out. The vents will air the camper out as we drive that day
Old 01-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Lots of folks leave them on the back of the truck.
Run them right there, no need to unload off the truck.
If your shore cord isn't long enough get an extension.
I do it often on overnighters.

Only you can decide... but know that many folks do both ways.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Site Team

I would strongly consider keeping it in the truck bed and using it there even if you have to buy a shore power extension cable to make the shore power work.

1) You load it one time and you're done. No loading and unloading.
2) There's no fuel odor in the RV when you stop.
3) It's more secure sitting in the truck bed than on the pavement in a parking lot. Especially if you're still hooked to the RV.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

I neglected to mention that the generator is dual fuel and runs fine on propane
Old 01-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #10

Thanks all. Rambler that is exactly the type of feedback I need. But is it safe?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
Site Team

It's safe enough that I don't have a problem running a Dewalt 9000 watt unit in the bed of my truck at the hunting camp and jobsites.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #12

I would suggest you have a ground wire attached to a pin or large galvanized nail you can drive into the ground if you are using it in the bed of your truck. Should be just fine but, why take a chance.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #13

take a look at how many contractors have a generator in their truck and run them there, especially portable welding services or mobile tire repair services.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #14

Safety concerns

Even I am surprised at my concerns. I guess I am just a little older and don't want to lose my house and tow vehicle simultaneously. The ground wire seems an excellent idea
Old 01-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
take a look at how many contractors have a generator in their truck and run them there, especially portable welding services or mobile tire repair services.

Off course you are correct but, vehicles equipped this way come with a grounding wire that is "supposed" to be used. Having seen the consequences first hand I'm just cautious.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf71 View Post
Thanks all. Rambler that is exactly the type of feedback I need. But is it safe?

What kind of unsafe are you concerned about?

I would personally buy carbon monoxide detectors and keep one in each room that people will inhabit.

Yes, the camper comes with one but I like the extra redundancy of separate units.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #17

I think it is safe in the truck bed. I typically put my generator by the A frame and cable it up. I do this only because I will sometimes take the truck and run errands leaving family behind who want ac. I have also left it in the truck bed. I think that close is more dangerous than leaving in the truck bed unless you plan to cover the truck bed and sleep in it.

You should leave room for air to circulate minding the exhaust output sticker clearance notice. I have partially closed (2 of 3 panels) the cover on my truck just to muffle some of the noise putting generator to one side to provide room for it to exhaust.

Ependydad has a good idea with the CO2 sensors. I worry about exhaust blowing in where slides "seal" and position it accordingly with the wind but winds change.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf71 View Post
I'm not Bama Rambler but did recommend the same thing in the post prior to his.

Safe... I don't believe Bama Rambler or myself would recommend anything we haven't already tried. Are there any possibilities something might go wrong?... Sure... anything mechanical could have issues but they can have issues no matter. I've run mine in my truck bed for days on end with no problems.

Now, if you are trying to run the generator inside an enclosed truck bed with a topper, you really aren't doing a lot of things safe.

Just what are your concerns leaving it in the truck bed?

Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicmark View Post
I would suggest you have a ground wire attached to a pin or large galvanized nail you can drive into the ground if you are using it in the bed of your truck. Should be just fine but, why take a chance.
Not needed at all.
Portable generators for RVs are NOT required to have an earth ground rod by the NEC (National Electrical Code)
The manufacturer is covering their A** if they recommend a ground rod.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
We've got a 3500 watt Inverter-generator which we keep ahead of the 5th wheel hitch. When boondocking, we just back the truck up to the back of the 5er, fire it up and plug it in. When you get too old to buy green bananas, this makes perfect sense rather than trying to unload it with sciatica and 73 year old knees.
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, show