Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Generator to shore power

In our model sandpiper 2005 going from shore to generator or reverse do we have to do anything special. We did not get any manual with our 5th wheel just a quick walk through how to start up shut off ect from formal owner.
Grant56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #2

you may or may not have to. do this. unplug from shore power and start the generator. wait a couple of minutes and see if you have any 120 vac power. if you do you'e set. you have an automatic transfer switch. if not you may have to plug the shore power cord into a receptacle somewhere the 5th wheel to have the shore power cord receive the generator output. the receptacle would look identical to the receptacle that you plug the shore power cord into on the pedestal.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

X2 describing auto transfer versus manual transfer.

But if you do have to plug into a receptacle inside your rig, turn OFF the generator before plugging in, the restart the genny.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #4

Thank you
Grant56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #5

First, I have NO experience with RV generators. But, I do have some amount of residential generator experience.

Your main concern should be that you do NOT (under any circumstances) back feed power in to the park's system. IF the park is experiencing an outage (or just crappy power that you don't want to deal with), you can expect that someone somewhere is working to get it back. You do not want to put power to a line that is expected to be dead. Lineman SHOULD be checking for voltage, but you don't know.
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd40c View Post
First, I have NO experience with RV generators. But, I do have some amount of residential generator experience.

Your main concern should be that you do NOT (under any circumstances) back feed power in to the park's system. IF the park is experiencing an outage (or just crappy power that you don't want to deal with), you can expect that someone somewhere is working to get it back. You do not want to put power to a line that is expected to be dead. Lineman SHOULD be checking for voltage, but you don't know.
You're right. You have no experience with RV generators.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You're right. You have no experience with RV generators.
That was crude.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #8

A lineman that’s not taking the proper safety procedures needs to get some insurance so his next of kin can bury him. I have a home generator that I have backfed, you are supposed to have a double pole throw but I don’t have room for that so I just have the main breaker that I pull
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
That was crude.
Probably so but he was interjecting false concerns to an apparent newbie. A lot of posters take what they read as gospel. That's how newbies sometimes become confused and then pass on to others what they have read; be it right or wrong. I probably have done this myself.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd40c View Post

The auto transfer switch prevents this from happening . if you have to do it manually then again it won't happen
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
That was crude.
No it wasn't. It was real life truth. It is not possible to back feed a park system unless you deliberately do it. can't be done with what is provided in the RV. Also back feeding has nothing to do with the OP question.

Yo bubbles, Don't get use to this comradery.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power, shore power